McLaren Life banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Another thing you need to understand guys is it doesn't matter if it can or can't correct it . The car is stock form will not allow it to run in an overboost situation. Soon as it sees higher Psi then the factory safety it shuts the throttle ... aka Brick wall feeling the Op and myself experienced.

When u get that , that should be your clue to not drive it anymore 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
Another update..

Haven't picked the car up yet but shop just sent a video of the dyno pull and said it runs perfect. I got upgraded coil packs he says he has seen issues with factory ones causing misfires on higher hp cars. First pull on 91 oct tune it made 805 at the wheels and expecting bit more on 93 tune today. Mod list for those wondering: Ryft catless exhaust, Pure turbo inlets, Upgraded ignition coils and M-Engineering tune.

Update* Just finished the 93 map 858 at the wheels

·
Registered
192 Posts
Another update..

Haven't picked the car up yet but shop just sent a video of the dyno pull and said it runs perfect. I opted for upgraded coil packs since they have been known to fail on modded cars. First pull on 91 oct tune it made 805 at the wheels and expecting bit more on 93 tune today. Mod list for those wondering: Ryft catless exhaust, Pure turbo inlets, Upgraded ignition coils and M-Engineering tune.

Update* Just finished the 93 map and its consistently making ~858whp

Nice it's making power. Just be aware that sometimes in dyno mode it will be different on the street. I had no issues on my first tune on the dyno and then soon as I left the dyno shop my first pull the car went into over boost . It was corrected the same day by them with another revision and this was years ago . But hopefully your issue is solved and doesn't come back ever .

I also have never heard of coil packs failing cause a mclaren is modded 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Just got the car back.. it’s a day and night difference. No more issues or hesitating. So much more power than before. Tuner told me he’s seen numerous cases where higher hp modded 720s had misfires and that the factory coils are fairly weak. I’ve seen coils fail in my friends 570s personally and I hear they are the same as our cars. The factory Mclaren coils are 2008 Nissan Sentra coils.. He builds the upgraded ones in-house. Also got a set of NGK R2558E-9 race plugs. The car runs fantastic and I have peace of mind.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just got the car back.. it’s a day and night difference. No more issues or hesitating. So much more power than before. Tuner told me he’s seen numerous cases where higher hp modded 720s had misfires and that the factory coils are fairly weak. I’ve seen coils fail in my friends 570s personally and I hear they are the same as our cars. The factory Mclaren coils are 2008 Nissan Sentra coils.. He builds the upgraded ones in-house. Also got a set of NGK R2558E-9 race plugs. The car runs fantastic and I have peace of mind.
Congratulations, I pray your 720s remains a great source of joy for you for many many miles!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Indeed, lets all hope, I have a feeling all is sorted from this overboost situation. Very sad. Remember all. Tune for your downpipes. Even I learnt something. OP, I take it you had to pay for all of this? Any help from mclaren?

·
Owner
837 Posts
This was quite the saga. I'm glad it seems to have worked out. Hopefully, it won't grenade again. I am not sure what the obsession is with more power. I have been a racing instructor for almost 30 years. I have driven the entire McLaren line on the road and track and when I'm done, the last thing I have ever thought is that any of them are short on power. The fact that the modded ones seem to be the ones with these tales, I will be happy keeping mine stock. But at the end of the day, I wish you the best.

·
Registered
2020 Explorer ST, 2018 Merc, in search of 12C...
64 Posts
This was quite the saga. I'm glad it seems to have worked out. Hopefully, it won't grenade again. I am not sure what the obsession is with more power. I have been a racing instructor for almost 30 years. I have driven the entire McLaren line on the road and track and when I'm done, the last thing I have ever thought is that any of them are short on power. The fact that the modded ones seem to be the ones with these tales, I will be happy keeping mine stock. But at the end of the day, I wish you the best.
I'm with you... Been racing and coaching (albeit on superbikes) for quite some time, and never once have I felt I "needed" more power. But, not everyone drives/rides like us, some people like to mod their cars, some people like more power for highway pulls, etc... Can't fault them for that, but it does suck to read these stories for sure.

·
Registered
192 Posts

More power ! For me it's never enough , always get used to it and starts feeling normal and not fast enough lol .

And that being said honestly the cars modded properly are just as safe as stock. These engines are built proof when done correctly.

I have seen just as many stock cars have issues or blow-up as I have modded cars and 99% of the time it's user error/negligent.

Again my car is perfect example . 23k on the odo all racing and beating the shit out of it with over 1100whp and it's flawless . But thats what happens when you get it tuned properly (Mengineering) BUT also take care of the small things like spark plugs,coil packs , oil and proper fuel and never beat on the car if something seems off . Log it and fix it before u drive hard and you will always be good .

I have seen 3 or 4 engines fail cause of misfires or wrong fuel and still beating on the engine when they know something is off . 🤦‍♂️

81 - 93 of 93 Posts