McLaren Life banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 570S
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to me(NewBe) 570S with 7K kms.... shoed with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Many roads are obnoxiously noisy within the interior. Newer paved roads are much better! Thought at 1st that tires might be old/hardened but, date code on rear= 0620(June2020). Just wondering if this is the nature of the beast, or are there quieter summer sport tires???

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
229 Posts
I am VERY disappointed with them on my 650S! Funny that I never saw one complaint about tire noise when I was first thinking of getting them.... Wish I would have done the GY F1 SC3's....

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
new to me(NewBe) 570S with 7K kms.... shoed with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Many roads are obnoxiously noisy within the interior. Newer paved roads are much better! Thought at 1st that tires might be old/hardened but, date code on rear= 0620(June2020). Just wondering if this is the nature of the beast, or are there quieter summer sport tires???
Pirelli OEM tires with PNCS

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I renewed with Pirellis mostly because of the PNCS. I'm not a big fan of Pirellis in general, but buying tyres is a pain in the ass unless you have previous experience with the tyre you're buying. I don't like tyre noise, so it was a big factor for me, even if they're not quite as good on track as the Michelins (I have Corsas).

·
Registered
2017 570S
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow...! I'm surprised, as another has alluded to, the Michelin 4S were rated very highly on Tirerack, albeit different vehicles! My son will be going out tomorrow and giving it a bit of a test run, curious whether it's just my old fart status that's settling in, or whether he has a complaint as well? I love this car, but the road noise is unacceptable for the status of this car! I appreciate all the responses so far, very attune to my initial complaint. It's great to hear from a competent forum! thank you all....

·
Registered
2017 570S
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, and thanks for your replies. I'll admit I'm not a big fan of Pirelli's. On previous vehicles they wore horribly, especially if the alignment was off(younger years!). I, too, thought the P4S was a good tire. Maybe it's just a bad set? When I picked up the car last month, drove home and checked the tire pressure just to satisfy myself. I had been thinking to lower the air by 2lbs all around and try that. I'm using a gauge that I trust the readings. Well..., if my son fines the same 'rumble' this am, then I'll try lowering the pressure and report back.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi, and thanks for your replies. I'll admit I'm not a big fan of Pirelli's. On previous vehicles they wore horribly, especially if the alignment was off(younger years!). I, too, thought the P4S was a good tire. Maybe it's just a bad set? When I picked up the car last month, drove home and checked the tire pressure just to satisfy myself. I had been thinking to lower the air by 2lbs all around and try that. I'm using a gauge that I trust the readings. Well..., if my son fines the same 'rumble' this am, then I'll try lowering the pressure and report back.
I have messed with pressures just to satisfy my curiosity as I wouldn't run them any lower than 32 cold anyway... Made NO difference for me... They "sing" at 35mph and "whine" everywhere else (hard cornering etc) at anywhere from 28 cold and up...
Alignment is good, had a bit more toe-in than needed initially, both F&R, but even after correction, no change....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2017 570S
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, dropped the pressure 2lbs= 27 front, 31 rear. No Change! .... as was confirmed by 'Hypurone' above. Newer paved roads are fine, but the roar on older roads.... well, certainly not happy. Not sure what my next move is at the moment, maybe change out the tires on spec, as I feel this is really getting to me. Love the car, just awesome... outside of the road noise on some roads. As another had suggested, take another out for a test ride. Unfortunately, there are no dealers near. As well, I've heard there is another McLaren in my area, just have no idea which model, as I've never seen it yet! I suppose if road noise is the worst of my problems... then I'm doing pretty well, LOL!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes I prefer the Michelin Cup 2 - but I’m not a track rat, and not bothered by road noise much. The issue with the Pirelli PNCS for me was wheel/tire balance - had vibration around 80 mph.
Where are you located? I would like to experience the Cup 2's firsthand for road noise.... ;-)

·
Registered
116 Posts
P4S on mine for the last 2k miles or so. They feel much better. Ride a bit softer and are pretty quiet (in my opinion). My OEM tires lasted just over 12k miles. Toward the end of life the ride and noise was noticeably worse.
The new ps4 felt so much better but they were also brand new and just about anything would have felt better compared to the failing original tires

·
Registered
123 Posts
I’ve just had the first couple of weeks of experience with the P4S on my 720s. I’ve quite intensively tested Pirelli PZero, PZero Corsa MC, Trofeo R, Trofeo R MC, Nankang AR1 and now the P4S.
I’m using my car a fair bit on trackdays and quickly burn through a set of tires on such a day. Hence my frequent change of tires.

I agree with you on the increased noise of the P4S when compared to Pirelli Pzero or Pzero Corsa. In particular on streets with cobble stones. The Trofeo R (both regular and MC) and Nankang AR1 are far more noisy. In particular the Nankang, almost to irritating levels.

I’ll post a bit more on my overall opinion on these tires after my next trackday on 24 May. I hope to be able to drive both the Pirelli Trofeo R MC and the P4S on that day.

·
Registered
2017 570S
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Huh? isn't that more of a 'band-aid'? I like the sound of my sports cars, engine sounds, etc. It's the obnoxious tire noise that's the problem. When posting this I wanted to hear if others had the same experience with these tires. Thanks for the thought, but I'll change tires out before 'deadening' the interior. And it seems only on old pavement, as new pavement is a pleasant experience.... appreciate the thought & link.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts