McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at buying a 2016 570S from a non McLaren dealership. Will I be able to get a factory extended warranty?

I really want to get this car but I’m worried about all the talk of problems with Mclaren’s especially if it doesn’t have a warranty.
So many car guys tell me expect to have the Mclaren in the shop a lot and taking forever to be serviced. I have to think it’s an exaggerated statement.

·
2019 Paris Blue 720S
2019 720S
918 Posts
I’m looking at buying a 2016 570S from a non McLaren dealership. Will I be able to get a factory extended warranty?

I really want to get this car but I’m worried about all the talk of problems with Mclaren’s especially if it doesn’t have a warranty.
So many car guys tell me expect to have the Mclaren in the shop a lot and taking forever to be serviced. I have to think it’s an exaggerated statement.
I owned a 2016 570S for 4 years/15k miles and it was one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. That said, I did choose to purchase the extended service contract when the warranty ran out, simply for peace of mind because it can get very expensive if something breaks. I believe you can add the ESC to any McLaren, but there is (IIRC) a process that involves taking the car to a dealer and addressing any issues before they will sell you the ESC. I sold the 570S last fall, replaced it with a used '19 720S, and it's been great so far also (3k miles added to the 5.7k on the car when I bought it).

·
Registered
181 Posts
See if you can get the dealership to send it to a McLaren dealer to do an inspection and tell you what would have to be done in order to get the warranty on the car. That would eliminate any surprises.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I owned a 2016 570S for 4 years/15k miles and it was one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. That said, I did choose to purchase the extended service contract when the warranty ran out, simply for peace of mind because it can get very expensive if something breaks. I believe you can add the ESC to any McLaren, but there is (IIRC) a process that involves taking the car to a dealer and addressing any issues before they will sell you the ESC. I sold the 570S last fall, replaced it with a used '19 720S, and it's been great so far also (3k miles added to the 5.7k on the car when I bought it).
Thanks for the info and glad to hear you said it was reliable. I'm super excited to get the 570S, now I just have to find the right spec I'm looking for. Congrats on the 720S, that's an amazing car!

·
Owner
780 Posts
My 2016 570S was also super reliable -- until 2-3 weeks after I let the warranty run out. Appr. 12,000 mi. Took it out for a joyride to a Home Depot 30 miles away one beautiful afternoon. Spring fell out of flywheel (way it was described to me), jammed the flywheel ... $13,000.! Get a McL warranty whatever you do!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 2016 570S was also super reliable -- until 2-3 weeks after I let the warranty run out. Appr. 12,000 mi. Took it out for a joyride to a Home Depot 30 miles away one beautiful afternoon. Spring fell out of flywheel (way it was described to me), jammed the flywheel ... $13,000.! Get a McL warranty whatever you do!
That sucks! Do you still have the car?

·
Owner
780 Posts
no, after I paid the cash to fix it, I immediately drove it in to a local Porsche dealer and traded it for a brand new 911 ! (that was the second time I got burned by a McLaren without a warranty. My 12C also was flawless past 24,000 miles. So I didn't renew the warranty. Few months later, hoses started leaking, then white smoke started appearing from exhaust. Hose leaks NOT caused by bad clamps in my case, but by cracked heads, sending exhaust into the water/cooling chamber, and that pressure was causing leaks at coolant water hose connections .... $60,000. cash on that one to replace heads and other associated mechanicals!)

·
2019 Paris Blue 720S
2019 720S
918 Posts
no, after I paid the cash to fix it, I immediately drove it in to a local Porsche dealer and traded it for a brand new 911 ! (that was the second time I got burned by a McLaren without a warranty. My 12C also was flawless past 24,000 miles. So I didn't renew the warranty. Few months later, hoses started leaking, then white smoke started appearing from exhaust. Hose leaks NOT caused by bad clamps in my case, but by cracked heads, sending exhaust into the water/cooling chamber, and that pressure was causing leaks at coolant water hose connections .... $60,000. cash on that one to replace heads and other associated mechanicals!)
Fool me once...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm surprised you got a 570S after that experience. I was also considering a GT3 but I have a Porsche now and want more of a change.

·
Owner
780 Posts
Well ... McLaren won't get me a third time.
With previous 911s, I wanted a change, thought McL would be exciting....
and of course, I believed the hype or conclusions that McL must have improved their product since the 12C.
Lesson learned !

·
2019 Paris Blue 720S
2019 720S
918 Posts
I'm surprised you got a 570S after that experience. I was also considering a GT3 but I have a Porsche now and want more of a change.
Personally I wouldn't own any modern car out of warranty...way too much can go wrong, complex electronics, etc. McLaren is a much more intense ownership experience than Porsche, supercar vs sportscar, but yeah get the extended warranty.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well ... McLaren won't get me a third time.
With previous 911s, I wanted a change, thought McL would be exciting....
and of course, I believed the hype or conclusions that McL must have improved their product since the 12C.
Lesson learned !
I'm thinking that the correct lesson was: Don't let the warranty run out.

And they have improved it, but its not quite a Honda yet. I think the Artura is the real test because its the first completely new thing they've done in a while. So if they've really learned, it will show, or it will be blatantly obviously that they didn't learn.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is a 3rd party warranty still better than no warranty?
There are several threads on the subject of after market warranties and, if I remember correctly, the conclusion was not favorable.

My 2018 Spider has had some minor issues covered under warranty, but by and large is very reliable. I've got three months to decide if I take McLaren's extended warranty. After the McLaren experience, I'll never return to a 'super beetle'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts