2016 570s or 2015 Porsche GT3

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I am in the market for a Porsche GT3 until I noticed 570s are going for almost the same price. I need some advice to perhaps owners here that had a GT3 and moved onto a 570s and was that a good decision you made. I hear Porsche are very reliable vehicles vs Mclaren‘s have issues. I am looking for a car to keep for at least 5yrs so I want something that is a lot of fun to drive without worrying too much on spending lots of money in fixing and also dealing with huge depreciation. Can you let me know what are some of the common issues associated with the 570s and what the cost were? And why you would choose a 570s over a GT3?

·
Registered
56 Posts
You've got two vehicles with different purposes.

GT3 - great the track, super harsh ride for a street car. Although I do know some people who drive them almost daily.

570S - does good at the track, but if you want more trackable car, get the 600LT. I daily drive my 570S, and it's not punishing at all like the GT3, but the McLaren still handles like it is on rails. The 570S is an absolutely incredible road car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you care about overall reliability (mechanical and electrical), high modability, build quality, excellent track performance mainly I believe due to higher mechanical grip and NA throttle control, and good resale, go for the GT3. The 570s is like a 2WD 911 Turbo S that looks 10X better, has about same resale, less reliability. I'm sure McLaren fans will disagree with some of what I said, but I've had both GT3 and 570s so that's my assessment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you care about overall reliability (mechanical and electrical), high modability, build quality, excellent track performance mainly I believe due to higher mechanical grip and NA throttle control, and good resale, go for the GT3. The 570s is like a 2WD 911 Turbo S that looks 10X better, has about same resale, less reliability. I'm sure McLaren fans will disagree with some of what I said, but I've had both GT3 and 570s so that's my assessment.
I really appreciate your honest feedback as I was worried for bias information since this forum is dedicated for Mclaren enthusiasts. To be honest I must say I would take the 570s over the GT3 because of its looks and it’s a true supercar. Only thing I worry is the high cost of maintaining this vehicle. Can you or anyone share some of the common issues with this vehicle and cost factors In maintaining one each year?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I really appreciate your honest feedback as I was worried for bias information since this forum is dedicated for Mclaren enthusiasts. To be honest I must say I would take the 570s over the GT3 because of its looks and it’s a true supercar. Only thing I worry is the high cost of maintaining this vehicle. Can you or anyone share some of the common issues with this vehicle and cost factors In maintaining one each year?

Well I don't get paid by a manufacturer so no point trying to be their spokesperson. I think if they gave the 570s wider tires and rear wheel steer and eliminated turbo lag, the car would be an amazing track weapon. I've solved the wider tire issue by going up to 245 front and 305 rears. It definitely has better balance than the GT3 because of the more 50/50 weight distribution. You have to drive 911s a certain way. As for common issues, you can do a search and see that it's primarily electrical errors. My car has random ones, but none that have put me on the side of the road or into limp mode. It's stupid shit like turn signal fault, horn fault, steering column fault. It flashes the error for 5 seconds and then just goes away. For a month for some reason my keyfob just couldn't turn on the car sometimes which is pretty common problem. Nowadays it turns on 100% of the time. I'd had no mechanical issues. I've had 3 miscellaneous outside of electrical but were easily fixed. My coolant tank (mine is a 2016) ruptured after a hard drive and was replaced with one from later models that used better plastic. The original Pirellis had a defect where the soundproof deadening material falls apart inside the tire and causes massive vibration. The dealer swapped all of them for a newer version and that's obviously not McLaren's fault. Lastly my driver seat one day stopped reclining all the way back. Needed dealership to reset. The first 2 were covered during my warranty period.

Maintenance with McLaren stealerships are $$$$. Your first service is going to be north of $2k. An oil change (with nothing else done nor inspected) will be $700ish. I'm not sure what the equivalent costs is for a Ferrari or Lambo. It certainly will be more than what Porsche will charge which was around $400 for an oil change for the GT3.

·
Owner
468 Posts
After 2 years with the 570, the car has been faultless except for 1 soft close door that failed. There isn't much that will stay with it on the road or track and the looks are truly exotic. You really won't see yourself coming and going, like you will in the Porsche or Ferrari and Lambo. Just be prepared to talk to people and get your picture taken and everyone (and I do mean everyone) loves the car. After 30 years of Ferraris, you could get the middle finger or a thumbs up...... Macs just seem to get love!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 2019 570S and have put 6,000 miles on it in 6 months. Zero issues. I always follow the rule to never buy the first and second year of a car, let the bugs get worked out. The Mac has been insane and more reliable than my secondhand 2014 Ferrari that had oil seepage from the heads and stick buttons…. at 5,000 miles. The key is to keep these cars plugged in when not in use, and drive them often. If you can do that then you should have a great ownership. The GT3 just isn't special enough for me to warrant buying. When I'm not in my DD pickup truck, I want a wow factor and the Porsche just doesn't have it.

·
570S Silica White
762 Posts
I have an early 2016 570S and it has been flawless four years and 14k miles down the road. I think the GT3 is a better track car and the 570S a much more entertaining and fun road car, lots more torque and exotic looks to burn. My first year service was just under $1k.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have an early 2016 570S and it has been flawless four years and 14k miles down the road. I think the GT3 is a better track car and the 570S a much more entertaining and fun road car, lots more torque and exotic looks to burn. My first year service was just under $1k.
Wow, that first year service is cheap. I have only seen $1500 for first year

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was looking at Porches before I got my spider, but the problem for me is that they're EVERYWHERE. Seriously, go to any car meet and it seems like 40% of the cars there are Porches. Mac's are waaaay more exclusive in that regard (except in LA. I swear you'd think the factory was here somewhere) and I don't plan on tracking it more than maybe once or twice a year. If it's a pure track car you're looking at definitely go GT3. That's a track car you can occasionally daily. The Mac is an incredible daily that will do very well on the track. I'm on my second 570s and have had ZERO mechanical troubles. It's mostly electrical annoyances that tend to clear up over time.
The reasons I think macs get a bad rep is because they came into the scene right when youtube took off so they were under a microscope from the get go. They're no worse than any other exotic brand. Everybody was just paying attention when anything went wrong. Look up the reliability of Lamborghini. It wasn't until the current Hurracan that they FINALLY are a reliable car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the feedback. I really want to have fun driving and even go on small 2-3 day road trips. Having said that, which car would be a better car to travel with and which car drives better? And assuming both is reliable enough to drive around 1000 miles during the road trip. You guys are making my decision harder now lol. The more I see the 570S the more I am leaning towards one.

·
570S Silica White
762 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I really want to have fun driving and even go on small 2-3 day road trips. Having said that, which car would be a better car to travel with and which car drives better? And assuming both is reliable enough to drive around 1000 miles during the road trip. You guys are making my decision harder now lol. The more I see the 570S the more I am leaning towards one.
Really sounds to me like a 570S would be the better choice. Much more entertaining (and livable) road car, better ride, tons more torque, plenty of luggage space.

·
Registered
2019 720s Volcano Yellow
64 Posts
The 570 makes a great daily driver. I put 7K miles on mine last year. No mechanical problems as all. Super fun to drive, decent ride, but more harsh than my GT3RS on surface streets. I loved my 570, felt it really had a soul. Sounded amazing with the sports exhaust which is a must. The only issues were with the iris. Sometimes I would start the car and the tuner was unable to initiate and would require me to push the big volume button for a few seconds to reboot. No big deal and easy to live with. You will get much more attention in a 570 than a GT3 for sure.

·
570S Silica White
762 Posts
more harsh than my GT3RS on surface streets.
Really? What suspension mode was that in? I don't hesitate to use "normal" (full soft) when the roads are the least bit rough. I know some guys use race mode everywhere, but I find that unnecessarily harsh on many roads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have both cars, 2015 GT3 with GMG upgrades and 2018 570s. Totally different animals! The GT3 is a beast but can also be driven daily like the 570. The McLaren is more refined but bags of power when needed. Depends what your looking for. Both amazing on the track iMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 720s Volcano Yellow
64 Posts
Really? What suspension mode was that in? I don't hesitate to use "normal" (full soft) when the roads are the least bit rough. I know some guys use race mode everywhere, but I find that unnecessarily harsh on many roads.
I drove my 570 is comfort always and sport power. I think the 911 might have a longer wheelbase giving it a smother feeling ride. My GT3RS is firm but very quiet and stable over bumps and my 570 was more clunky or loud. I no longer have the 570 but I did drive them both a lot and back to back and there is quite a difference in the ride. I am not saying the 570 is a bad ride, but just a bit harsher than the GT3RS.

·
Registered
2019 Vega Blue McLaren 570S Coupe
20 Posts
Few month ago I was looking to replace my 981 GT4 with a 991.2 GT3, but cannot say no to a deal on a brand new 2019 570S. To me the McLaren was more exotic and a dream car to me.

Here’s what I love about Porsche GT cars, available in manual, na sound, suspension tuning and chassis.

As for the 570S, the doors are just too attractive, power and torque on a lightweight chassis, steering response and road feel, simple interior design.

Now some of the common quirks I gathered while owning both brands. Here’s a brief run down, Surprised no one mention about 991.1 GT3 engine problems, some had gone through multiple engine replacements and some 991.1 GT3RS had engine replacements due to excessive oil consumption. Some 991.2 GT3 and GT3 RS had oil leaks near crank pulley, but don’t worry Porsche is good with their warranty fixes and engine cover as long as you don’t mind the trouble. Other rare problems are strut top failures on 991 and 981 chassis, 3rd gear failure on 2016 built 981 GT4.

For the 570S I’ve only read up on some minor fit/build quality issues and windscreen stress crack for some.

I will be looking for a 991.2 GT3 in manual around end of this year to add into the garage with my 570S, I feel it’s a excellent combo to have. Please don’t get me wrong, but I like to research on all the issues that may occur on the car I’m purchasing. Hope this helps and good luck in your decision.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts