McLaren Life banner

2015 facelift and Upgrades

26K views 131 replies 41 participants last post by  THE EMPEROR 
#1 ·
There are rumblings about a more aggressive MP4-12C coming out next summer as a 2015 model. This may be a limited production vehicle and I am not sure if it will be available as a spyder or only as a coupe. Things mentioned are:

1. More stylish front end
2. More power 650-700 HP
3. Lighter Weight

In addition to adding any factual information you may have on this topic, please feel free to add other improvements you would like to see McLaren add or change to this car to make it even better.

Some of you have asked for better tires for the track. Some want direct injection. I want the cars to be more limited so they will hold their value and not depreciate so much.

Hopefully, they are listening

#2 ·
I love the front end, personally. I used to like the 458 better, but that's actually gotten old to my eye, and the 12C has gotten better. But I digress.

So first off, here's a list of summarizing a bunch right here:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/2536-improvements-2.html#post46999

You really got the major ones for me. HP, weight, tires. The tires, definitely. We need michelins. The Pzeros are just not very good. And McLaren really, really needs to do the right thing and make that an upgrade for existing 12C owners.

I'd like to see an app store for IRIS with access to telemetry data from the car to have great lap/track apps.

Built in rear and front camera with storage to an SD card; kinda built in go pros for the car. If they added a camera in the rear view mirror, in the side mirrors (front and back) and even on from behind the seats, and then let you composite all the views into one feed, ti would be great for tracking.

HUD.

3rd control dial. One for power, one for suspension, one for traction control

Better "detachable" aero. The little fins in front of the front tires need to "break off" more elegantly. Sometimes they tear off and it damages the floor of the nose, which is an expensive replacement. They need a better "skid piece" there.

Ride height adjustment for track/regular driving. Perhaps it could be part of the suspension dial, where it lowers the car say an inch or so.

Touch more seat bolster, and seat bottom that extends forward to provide a bit more thigh support. It would be good if the seats could get a touch lower as well.

Better spot in the nose to put in a built in radar detector. Current detectors work worse on the 12C than say on a corvette as they must be installed in the nose with an obstruction, which reduces detection range. Frankly, radar should be standard on all cars of this level.

I wouldn't mind if IRIS were a touch bigger, and touch higher up on the controls.

I would like the current speedo to be completely replaced by a LCD customizable screen.

limited-slip/ediff is something a bunch of people have asked for. I could live without it.

Free 3G for life of the car. Free service for life of the car. Over the air upgrades to the infotainment stuff.

Anyway, there's a few. :)

#3 ·
jkheit, lots of wishful thinking there, huh? :)

The camera system would be great, but integrated into IRIS is unlikely, simply no good apps for it for that stuff. Would need seperate hardware with better GPS and such too anyway. But it would be a great thing to have factory-built... But I think many many people do not take these to the track, so an extra like this gets very expensive for them if its only say 200 cars a year that take it.

Radar detectors will never happen. They are illegal in virtually the whole world.

Free 3G and such is fun but also obviously way too expensive for them to do.

The rest, fun ideas, that I guess go with any car on the planet.

#5 ·
jkheit, lots of wishful thinking there, huh? :)
I forgot to put in a pony, a mansion and a yacht. :)

The camera system would be great, but integrated into IRIS is unlikely, simply no good apps for it for that stuff. Would need seperate hardware with better GPS and such too anyway. But it would be a great thing to have factory-built... But I think many many people do not take these to the track, so an extra like this gets very expensive for them if its only say 200 cars a year that take it.

Radar detectors will never happen. They are illegal in virtually the whole world.

Free 3G and such is fun but also obviously way too expensive for them to do.

The rest, fun ideas, that I guess go with any car on the planet.
I think integration shouldn't be too bad. If they open IRIS up for downloading android app, I suspect 3rd parties might step up. Also, even without the track, all the russian dash cams are convincing me that the world needs more dash cam video. :)

Agree about the radar. It would be great if they just cleared a good spot for it in the nose.

Free 3G is likely doable, Musk did it, some kindles offer it. Probably adds $1000 to the car.

#6 ·
The 12C currently produces 120kg of downforce.

I'm just wondering how much that would increase by if

a) the ride height could be lowered by 50mm a la P1
b) a re-designed front bumper was utilised.
http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/2286-downforce-lack.html

Add on some Michelin tyres and you might see some serious reduction in lap times.

That's what my 2015 upgrade would be.

#7 · (Edited)
There are rumblings about a more aggressive MP4-12C coming out next summer as a 2015 model. This may be a limited production vehicle and I am not sure if it will be available as a spyder or only as a coupe. Things mentioned are:

1. More stylish front end
2. More power 650-700 HP
3. Lighter Weight

In addition to adding any factual information you may have on this topic, please feel free to add other improvements you would like to see McLaren add or change to this car to make it even better.

Some of you have asked for better tires for the track. Some want direct injection. I want the cars to be more limited so they will hold their value and not depreciate so much.

Hopefully, they are listening
Hi Marc

In relation to your points above, here are my thoughts.

1. More stylish front end:

Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with the current styling of the 12c, a more stylish front end is something that could definitely be welcomed. The front end of the P1 is stunning. The boomerang headlights give the car so much character and they are unique to McLaren. I'm under the impression that the P13 will have these too. It would fit nicely into the range if boomerang headlights could be implemented into the 12c's design.

2. More power 650-700 HP:

This is an easy one......YES! The 12c's gearbox can handle more power so it would make sense to increase it.

3. Lighter Weight:

Not sure about this one. I don't want McLaren to start cutting luxuries out of the car. I like the whole 'no compromise' philosophy that they have going. If it is more a case of switching to lighter materials etc. then of course, why not?

Instead of making a limited edition car, McLaren should consider offering these things as upgrades to current owners. I'm not sure actually how feasible that is and whether it makes business sense but in the ideal world it's a good idea :D

It should also be offered in both Spider and Coupe forms.

#14 ·
Hi Marc

In relation to your points above, here are my thoughts.

1. More stylish front end:

Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with the current styling of the 12c, a more stylish front end is something that could definitely be welcomed. The front end of the P1 is stunning. The boomerang headlights give the car so much character and they are unique to McLaren. I'm under the impression that the P13 will have these too. It would fit nicely into the range if boomerang headlights could be implemented into the 12c's design.

2. More power 650-700 HP:

This is an easy one......YES! The 12c's gearbox can handle more power so it would make sense to increase it.

3. Lighter Weight:

Not sure about this one. I don't want McLaren to start cutting luxuries out of the car. I like the whole 'no compromise' philosophy that they have going. If it is more a case of switching to lighter materials etc. then of course, why not?

Instead of making a limited edition car, McLaren should consider offering these things as upgrades to current owners. I'm not sure actually how feasible that is and whether it makes business sense but in the ideal world it's a good idea :D

It should also be offered in both Spider and Coupe forms.
They can save ~30kg if they just used P1's seats (or similar). :)

#9 ·
nick...

in an ideal world, McLaren should just give all current owners a P1 ;)

#25 ·
Carbon Ceramics should come as standard too.
Ooooh, um, yeah, I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there.

http://www.phydiux.com/bill_lumbergh_soundboard.cfm

I have no need for ceramics as I don't track the car, and they're a real PITA to live with in the real world. e.g., if I had ceramics there's no way I could have had my tire replaced by the local tire shop down the street when I got a puncture (it's 2 hours to the nearest Mac dealer).

#33 · (Edited)
WorldCarFans said:
Our spies have managed to snap new photos of the 2015 McLaren P13.

Caught testing in the distance, the prototype appears to be wearing a production body as this is the first time McLaren has bothered to put extensive camouflage on the model. Unfortunately, we can't make out a lot of details but we can see the car will have sporty styling with side scoops and a rear end that echoes the 12C.

Engine options remain unconfirmed but rumors have suggested the car will use a 3.8-liter V8 that develops approximately 450 bhp (335 kW). It should connected to a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission which may enable the model to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in less than four seconds and hit a top speed of roughly 322 km/h (200 mph).

The McLaren P13 is expected to be introduced sometime next year before going on sale in 2015 with a price tag that is in the same neighborhood as the Audi R8 and higher-end Porsche 911s.
I doubt that's a P13:

http://i.imgur.com/UKUhiqE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3a74TQm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/n9wT0FS.jpg

Find more here: http://www.worldcarfans.com/113120367041/2015-mclaren-p13-spied-wearing-extensive-camouflage-and

#37 ·
I would welcome 18" forged wheels and sticky tyre option, for the people who like grip (based on GT3 style), and maybe even a GT'esque MSO rear wing off the shelf,, most other giddy mods are available already from MSO.

#40 ·
Replacement in 6 years..

1000 kg? A new direction? I would order.
Would love things to go that way, but very clearly they are not. P1 with hybrid tech adds weight and if the trickle down is to materialize, the next gen 12C will be hybrid and heavier than the current model. That's why I am eager to see the spec of a 12C scud; it may very well be the lightest road car that McLaren ever makes, other than the F1.

#42 ·
I have been told by a McLaren exec that this car will be revealed at Geneva 6 March.

Will have 7-10% more bhp that now be lighter by circa 50kgs, have a redesigned front end and rear and have P1 chairs as an option.

Mine will be delivered July, 2014 spec car straight after Geneva.

Also gearbox will be calibrated for faster shifts and it will cover the qtr mile .7 of a second quick than the 458 Speciale, as car I had on order till I learnt all of the above.

In Australia it will be very competitively priced.

I can't wait.

W

#67 ·
according to my reliable info, a facelifted 12c will be shown in geneva motorshow, it will have a new front end a la p1, a new rear bumper, same power same interior.
honestly mclaren dont need to increase the power, it is actually faster than all the competition, way faster than a 458, at par with an f12, and faster than the new lamborghini lp-600 cabrera...

#77 ·
On the styling facelift front, they'd have to take a hatchet to it, to end up worse looking than the 458 speciale. Just been looking at some autoblog pics, now that 458S is hitting the streets. Have to say in all honesty that the speciale is the first Ferrari that no matter how good it is, I would probably never buy based on looks alone. The front is atrocious. Man, supercar design is in a weird place, these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.