McLaren Life banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I own a 2015 mclaren 650s purchase with 10k miles has been a great car no issues until now at 40k miles getting a crank position sensor code along with a nasty ugly cold start rattle that doesn't sound normal that last for a half second. Car runs fine no misfire no other issues . Wanted to know if anybody has had this issue and what was the outcome. Any advice will help thanks
Light Communication Device Satellite phone Telephony Finger

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Could also be chain tensioners, although I don't know anything about the tensioners on this engine. That's also not a crank position sensor code, it's a camshaft position sensor code, which may tie in with a chain tension problem. With oil supplying the pressure in the tensioners, as they age they can start to rattle at startup until the oil pressure is sufficient. As I said though, I don't know a lot about this particular engine yet, so hopefully someone else will chime in. And coincidentally, I'm having a similar problem at the moment with my VW 4.2 V8, there's an intermittent problem with the cam sensor on bank 2 and when it happens the engine takes a few extra seconds to start and sounds a bit funky when it does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you clear the code, does it come back immediately?
YES I CLEARED THE CODE THEN AFTHER A FEW DRIVE CYCLES COMES BACK ON ONLY DURING THE COLD START. WHAT HAPPENS IF I GET DRIVING IT LIKE THIS? COULD IT LEAD TO POSSIBLE ENGINE SIEZURE? I HAVE AN APPT TO TAKE IN FOR DIAGNOSTIC. BUT WOULD SUCK IF THAT ENGINE HAS TO COME OUT FOR REPAIR...

I WILL POST A COLD START VEDEO SHORTLY

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
YES I CLEARED THE CODE THEN AFTHER A FEW DRIVE CYCLES COMES BACK ON ONLY DURING THE COLD START. WHAT HAPPENS IF I GET DRIVING IT LIKE THIS? COULD IT LEAD TO POSSIBLE ENGINE SIEZURE? I HAVE AN APPT TO TAKE IN FOR DIAGNOSTIC. BUT WOULD SUCK IF THAT ENGINE HAS TO COME OUT FOR REPAIR...

I WILL POST A COLD START VEDEO SHORTLY
Yes, I think you'll nailed it on the other thread. There's a you tube video of an engine removal where there's damage from oil starvation, but it may just be the cam phaser. I've never previously owned a car with cam phasers, so I don't know much about them.

2012 MP4-12C
1,913 Posts
I SHOULD JUST KEPT MY 458 ITALIA LOL
So you could go slower before catching fire? :eek: First things first, check your oil level. If it's low you might get lucky and topping off solves it. If you're unlucky it might be cam phasers.

2012 MP4-12C
1,913 Posts
I just did the oil change about 1k miles ago. Could this also be issue with something called CHECK VALVES?
Just because you did the change doesn't mean the oil level is perfect. It's possible a mistake was made and it's specifically causing the problem. Check it, eliminate the possibility. "Check valves" is pretty vague, there are several within the car.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Shit, sorry to say but this looks like a phaser issue. Cam position codes are a give away on that, remove the camshaft sensor for that bank/exahust/intake and have a look first/ also the valve control solnoid which actually controls the oil flow to the phaser. The above is what you should investigate first before having the engine out.

Make sure your oil level is high enough, if this isnt maintained properly, it will kill the phasers, phasers at 10k is rare, even on much higher mileage engines. A rattly phaser doesnt always mean its gone, it when it loses the capability to adjust cam timing, thats where you will begin to have issues.

The phasers have small oil passages and its really important the oil is clean.

Also you said Crank position, this is CAM position.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts