McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 50th anniversary MP4 on order and have the official word on changes to the new car.

Below is the email that I received

We have just had a meeting to discuss the revisions for the 2014 McLaren engine and cosmetic specifications. The press appear to be having a field day with their speculations. I have been told that the lighting arrangement for the front lights will be exactly the same for the 2014 as it is for the 2013 as is the bumper however you have the MSO bumper which is part of the anniversary edition. The power output for the 2014 will remain exactly the same as the 2013 model at 616 BHP. The only upgrades for the 2014 model with be improvements to the IRIS navigation system which your vehicle will have.

If I hear anything else I will definitely keep you in the loop

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have a 2014 50th anniversary MP4 on order and have the official word on changes to the new car.

Below is the email that I received

We have just had a meeting to discuss the revisions for the 2014 McLaren engine and cosmetic specifications. The press appear to be having a field day with their speculations. I have been told that the lighting arrangement for the front lights will be exactly the same for the 2014 as it is for the 2013 as is the bumper however you have the MSO bumper which is part of the anniversary edition. The power output for the 2014 will remain exactly the same as the 2013 model at 616 BHP. The only upgrades for the 2014 model with be improvements to the IRIS navigation system which your vehicle will have.

If I hear anything else I will definitely keep you in the loop
I suspect that they are keeping the power upgrade under wraps until the 458 Scud is shown in September. It will be pretty easy for them to add the extra boost then.

If no power upgrade is announced in September then I'm guessing they may leave it closer to the announcement of the P13.

I'm pretty sure there is one in the Pipeline.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Iris 2.0 retroactive upgrade from 2014 spec coming to all. Capacitive screen, Bluetooth audio, internet access via tethering, improved GPS...

·
Registered
356 Posts
was told this would be a paid hardware upgrade... but retro-fittable to all.
I had that confirmed this evening by CEO Mike Flewitt in a conversation after the P1 reveal at Pebble Beach. He seemed genuinely interested in owner feedback on the car, residuals, etc.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I had that confirmed this evening by CEO Mike Flewitt in a conversation after the P1 reveal at Pebble Beach. He seemed genuinely interested in owner feedback on the car, residuals, etc.
Let him have it please while you are there:

Phone sound quality issue, dash rattles, windshield trim, headlight condensation, and of course Iris. Other things to address: No oil pressure guage, no boost guage, Pirelli tire selection.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Let him have it please while you are there:

Phone sound quality issue, dash rattles, windshield trim, headlight condensation, and of course Iris. Other things to address: No oil pressure guage, no boost guage, Pirelli tire selection.
Based on his reaction to the comments I made, I believe he has heard the complaints. He also said that he had been driving the MY2014 12C and was very happy with the improvements in the engineering. I encouraged him to continue to make as many of the advances as possible available to current owners, even for a fee if it requires hardware.

·
Registered
21 Posts
McLaren Newport Beach is compiling a list of owners who want the new Iris system retrofitted. They received notice from MTC last week about this. There will be a charge for this retrofit.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
McLaren Newport Beach is compiling a list of owners who want the new Iris system retrofitted. They received notice from MTC last week about this. There will be a charge for this retrofit.
Gotta say I'm withholding judgement for now, but they better present a pretty compelling case for the update.

What it sounds like they're doing is providing some of the features they described in their brochure, not even all. I understand that redoing the entire system in android is a big deal for them, but feature wise it still doesn't include all the features in their original brochure, and asking those that paid on that promise to pay more is a big marketing mistake and erosion of goodwill. Considering the genuinely goodwill they've built up with the HP upgrade, it would be big misstep.

Now if there were some features OVER what was in those brochures, like iOS in the car, or an App Store with 3rd party apps, that will be worth it.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Gotta say I'm withholding judgement for now, but they better present a pretty compelling case for the update.

What it sounds like they're doing is providing some of the features they described in their brochure, not even all. I understand that redoing the entire system in android is a big deal for them, but feature wise it still doesn't include all the features in their original brochure, and asking those that paid on that promise to pay more is a big marketing mistake and erosion of goodwill. Considering the genuinely goodwill they've built up with the HP upgrade, it would be big misstep.

Now if there were some features OVER what was in those brochures, like iOS in the car, or an App Store with 3rd party apps, that will be worth it.
I will wait a year, just like I did before buying a 12C, and let the bugs get worked out. No Guinea Pig candidate here.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was shown the new IRIS system by some of the McLaren folks @ Pebble. I have a video, and lots of photos to detail everything, and will be putting it together tomorrow or the day after in a new thread (I was given permission to share). To quickly summarize, the new system is built by Parrot (so expect the BT phone system to work perfectly!), does indeed run Android, has a new touch screen, new buttons, new USB/line-in jack, and a new head unit. The screen is SO much better, very responsive. And the voice guidance system is awesome, thanks to its tie-in with TuneIn (my favorite feature, personally). I pressed the voice guidance button, tapped Music (vs Contacts), then said 'Rihanna' and IRIS immediately offered up a Rihana radio station that I tapped play on, and it started streaming (tethered to my iPhone over BT). Audio streaming over BT also works perfectly, and is a very welcome feature. Lots more in the next day or two, but I definitely see this as a huge improvement.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I was shown the new IRIS system by some of the McLaren folks @ Pebble. I have a video, and lots of photos to detail everything, and will be putting it together tomorrow or the day after in a new thread (I was given permission to share). To quickly summarize, the new system is built by Parrot (so expect the BT phone system to work perfectly!), does indeed run Android, has a new touch screen, new buttons, new USB/line-in jack, and a new head unit. The screen is SO much better, very responsive. And the voice guidance system is awesome, thanks to its tie-in with TuneIn (my favorite feature, personally). I pressed the voice guidance button, tapped Music (vs Contacts), then said 'Rihanna' and IRIS immediately offered up a Rihana radio station that I tapped play on, and it started streaming (tethered to my iPhone over BT). Audio streaming over BT also works perfectly, and is a very welcome feature. Lots more in the next day or two, but I definitely see this as a huge improvement.
Excellent news !

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Be good to get this issue over with so people can praise the car for what it is,and not what it isn't .

·
Registered
208 Posts
Be good to get this issue over with so people can praise the car for what it is,and not what it isn't .
I agree Andy, but I don't see why early adopters should pay for the new system. By bringing out a completely new system Mclaren are clearly saying "the original system is no good and a non starter " so why should we pay for what we were originally promised. Whether you paid or not Mclaren have a responsibility to provide what it promised and if they are not able to adapt the original system to deliver what they promised then they should step up to the plate and do the right thing, after all they said they were not like the others.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
+ 1, the original system has been ditched, why, because it does not function?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts