McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure we might as well have a rolling thread for the F1 season. That way - we don't keep starting new threads about a particular race etc.

What is up with McLaren this season. They look like a rookie team. Humiliating performances in the first couple of races.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Same as last season, Ritesh: they'll bumble around tweaking here and revising there and evetually become competitive, by which time it will be too late. I wonder if all the other stuff going on in the company has reduced their focus on F1?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody watch Monaco?

Perez was doing great till he got pinned in the corner by KR. Why didn't somebody from the pit tell Perez that KR had to come in for new tires. That would have remedied the whole situation. Also kinda disappointing to see JB not be able to pass anybody and basically get out done by Perez and Sutil.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Anybody watch Monaco?

Perez was doing great till he got pinned in the corner by KR. Why didn't somebody from the pit tell Perez that KR had to come in for new tires. That would have remedied the whole situation. Also kinda disappointing to see JB not be able to pass anybody and basically get out done by Perez and Sutil.
I don't think KR was going to come in. The only reason he did was because the contact with Perez caused a flat.
Yup. JB was a little flat on Sunday.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Hey thems the brakes or the lack there of in the wonderful world of F1, it definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat. Love it and would indeed enjoy seeing much more competitiveness on behalf of McLaren and there putt putts. Cheers.....??

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Automotive and formula one are different divisions, two dedicate on their own fields. Like Ron says you go from hero to zero very fast in F1. I'm more excited about 2014 with all the gossip :) but like others have agreed, they should had optimised and developed the 27 like most teams have, massive gamble with the completely new car and a suspension they're not use to.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Checo seems to be giving it his all (or close to), so that's been a plus so far. It's been interesting that what others do oft' & on, he's getting labeled for. Whatevez...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Checo seems to be giving it his all (or close to), so that's been a plus so far. It's been interesting that what others do oft' & on, he's getting labeled for. Whatevez...
True. I posted on another forum that the only thing Checo is really guilty of is making overtaking attempts on 3 very popular drivers and offending their fans. Needless to say, it didn't make me popular but I was getting sick of the crying and whining.:)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Automotive and formula one are different divisions, two dedicate on their own fields. Like Ron says you go from hero to zero very fast in F1. I'm more excited about 2014 with all the gossip :) but like others have agreed, they should had optimised and developed the 27 like most teams have, massive gamble with the completely new car and a suspension they're not use to.
I'm looking forward to 2014 as well. 2015 should be even more interesting for McLaren fans.

Agreed that maybe further developing the /27 would have been the best thing to do. It sounds like the problem may have been wind tunnel correlation issue. I don't understand how something that worked so well last year can change so drastically. Maybe someone hit the side of it with a fork-lift?

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Haven't watched much this season, but from what I've seen -

On the team: They are getting their ASS kicked. Period.

On the car: They took some (hopefully) forward-looking design directions, I believe on what they saw Ferrari was ultimately able to do with their car last year. I think they believe that there will be more they can get out of this layout in the long run, even with the engine switch next year.

On the drivers: Checo trying too hard and in danger of joining the Grosjean and Maldonado fraternity. Button is solid, but as always, seemingly lacking that killer instinct that makes him frustrating to watch at times. Somewhere between Checo and Button, there is an ideal racing driver that is still unfortunately a half second per lap slower than Lewis.

On Formula One: It's a bit of a joke these days with the tire situation. Did anybody else see Vettel put in a lap 2 WHOLE SECONDS faster than anybody else on the penultimate lap, just to prove a point? Like Coulthard said during the broadcast - it's rubbish - and one of the reasons I am losing interest quickly.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Haven't watched much this season, but from what I've seen -

On the team: They are getting their ASS kicked. Period.

On the car: They took some (hopefully) forward-looking design directions, I believe on what they saw Ferrari was ultimately able to do with their car last year. I think they believe that there will be more they can get out of this layout in the long run, even with the engine switch next year.

On the drivers: Checo trying too hard and in danger of joining the Grosjean and Maldonado fraternity. Button is solid, but as always, seemingly lacking that killer instinct that makes him frustrating to watch at times. Somewhere between Checo and Button, there is an ideal racing driver that is still unfortunately a half second per lap slower than Lewis.

On Formula One: It's a bit of a joke these days with the tire situation. Did anybody else see Vettel put in a lap 2 WHOLE SECONDS faster than anybody else on the penultimate lap, just to prove a point? Like Coulthard said during the broadcast - it's rubbish - and one of the reasons I am losing interest quickly.
Yup.
Yup.(kind of)
Yup.
Yup.

McLaren said the /27 was running out of development room so they decided to make big changes to the concept for the /28. High nose, pull-rod front suspension. From what I've read, the problem seems to be wind tunnel correlation issues.

The biggest kick to the balls for McLaren is that they went to a high(er)-nose concept a year before new rules are introduced to drastically lower the noses. Regardless, they really need to fix those correlation issues or they are royally fucked for the foreseeable future.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I agree with 6th, Perez is acting like an idiot. He should satisfy his ego somewhere else, putting drivers at risk and jeprodising their cars is just stupid. Its funny what kimmi said about the punch in the face comment! He needs to clam down, he's trying way too hard, just exactly is he trying to prove? His self worth? Grr I suppose it does add some entertainment value of what is in F1, with all this tyres baloney a lot of the racing is really focused with tyre strategy, which is boring to me. The drivers are forced to nurse their precious rubber throughout the races, its getting rather boring

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Rumour is that there is a raft of updates on the /28 for the Canadian GP including an updated rear suspension. I hope it works.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Rumour is that there is a raft of updates on the /28 for the Canadian GP including an updated rear suspension. I hope it works.
Well I hope it was developed during a secret test with Pirelli!

All eyes on Lewis for me. He's mega at Canada and his Merc is quick. He wins from pole, lapping Sergio in the process.

·
Administrator
2,742 Posts
agree, Perez was not a good signing. The Hulk or Di Resta would have been better.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well I hope it was developed during a secret test with Pirelli!

All eyes on Lewis for me. He's mega at Canada and his Merc is quick. He wins from pole, lapping Sergio in the process.
So true:D
Yup. Lewis is really good in Canada. I remember watching him there back in 2007, I was standing just before the final chicane leading into the start finish line and wow! he was incredible on the brakes. To me he seemed to be on them 10-15 meters later than Alonso.

After Monaco, M. Whitmarsh was quoted as saying that the car was better then expected in traction and braking stability. It certainly seemed better to my eye then the previous races. If that's true, McLaren might do ok this weekend as those two things are crucial in Montreal.

If they get on the podium this weekend, I'll be the guy going ape-shit in grandstand 21.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Secret testing is still going on!!
RIC and I were at a McLaren Silverstone event last week,and we could clearly hear the screeming of an F1 engine lapping at some part of the closed off circuit.On asking we were told it was Mercedes testing something,possibly next years tyres??? Of course its convienant as Brackley is only a mile away :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
So true:D
Yup. Lewis is really good in Canada. I remember watching him there back in 2007, I was standing just before the final chicane leading into the start finish line and wow! he was incredible on the brakes. To me he seemed to be on them 10-15 meters later than Alonso.

After Monaco, M. Whitmarsh was quoted as saying that the car was better then expected in traction and braking stability. It certainly seemed better to my eye then the previous races. If that's true, McLaren might do ok this weekend as those two things are crucial in Montreal.

If they get on the podium this weekend, I'll be the guy going ape-shit in grandstand 21.
I was there in '07 for Lewis' first win, too. I'm not much for the sentimental aspect, but I'll admit it was a special day. I was in the Ferrari loges after qualifying when next door at McLaren the interviewer was asking Alfonso where he expected to be after Turn 1 tomorrow. "Ahead of Lewis, of course." Well if Hamilton wasn't fired up enough already....

Ditto on your comments watching him drive at CGV. You are truly seeing a talent at the top of his game. His execution of the final chicane before the start/finish straight is also mesmerizing. I really hope the tire situation doesn't get in the way of the drivers going max attack this weekend.

Have a great trip and best of luck to the McLaren squad; if there's any circuit where they could start a resurgence, it must be here.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't think KR was going to come in. The only reason he did was because the contact with Perez caused a flat.
Yup. JB was a little flat on Sunday.
Gotcha... I was forwarding through the race and didn't catch that.

Montreal this wknd - Any of the canadian members going?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts