McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm excited to get my hands on my new toy. Any suggestions on anything to look for when doing the inspection? They are bringing her to me in an auto carrier and I want to make sure she's been sorted out properly.

Thank you in advance...

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Hello all,

I'm excited to get my hands on my new toy. Any suggestions on anything to look for when doing the inspection? They are bringing her to me in an auto carrier and I want to make sure she's been sorted out properly.

Thank you in advance...
Raise the doors and take a good look for any nicks from road debris especially down low.

After the inspection grab your wallet and cell phone - enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Look under front bumper for scrapes. If you have not driven it, go drive it in track track on bumpy roads, listen for rattles. Pair you cell phone and have someone call you, listen for their voice to be clear.

If all checks out, make sure you have good clear bra protection, then drive and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
With regard to vibration from front wheels, if you car has CCBs and you have vibration, get them to check the disc is not out of tolerance, as in run it up as through it were a wheel, if it is get them to replace the discs for ones that are within tolerance, I had two cars delivered new like this, and I know of others

Do not accept the fix, buy way of taking the wheel out of its natural balance range as in adding extra weights, in order to compensate. This puts undue load on the tyre…..

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With regard to vibration from front wheels, if you car has CCBs and you have vibration, get them to check the disc is not out of tolerance, as in run it up as through it were a wheel, if it is get them to replace the discs for ones that are within tolerance, I had two cars delivered new like this, and I know of others

Do not accept the fix, buy way of taking the wheel out of its natural balance range in order to compensate. This puts undue load on the tyre…..
How interesting.

As I may have mentioned, I am a member of the Classic Car Club. We recently acquired a 2012 coupe. And I have been driving the bejesus out of it for 2 weeks with a week of our 458 in between. The 12C has the CCB and the first thing I noticed was that there were way to many weights on the lightweight wheels, especially on the outside rim of the wheel. I chalked it up to shoddy prep. I also noticed a marked vibration in the front under acceleration. Couldn't put my finger on it. Now I understand. I am fortunate that my dealer really talked down the need for CCBs as I was hell-bent on getting them. Fortunately my choices were made for me when they received a new McLaren orange coupe optioned with everything I wanted, except the CCB and the carbon mirrors. The mirrors are an easy fix. But I was pining for the carbon brakes. Now I see that serendipity was on my side.

I have the standard brakes, luckily. But now I understand the vibration on the club's 12C.

Thank you very much for the information.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look under front bumper for scrapes. If you have not driven it, go drive it in track track on bumpy roads, listen for rattles. Pair you cell phone and have someone call you, listen for their voice to be clear.

If all checks out, make sure you have good clear bra protection, then drive and enjoy.
Thank you for the tips. I know that the hands free quality is a little iffy, since I have lived with a 12C for a bit. See above. As it is a new car, and if it does have this little bug, is there a fix for it? In other words, if I pair my phone and it has the same garbled quality, what should I do?

The car is being wrapped with the "nano wrap" on the entire front and the bottom of the doors as I tap this.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Quite interesting on the front wheel balance, I've asked the dealer to check the balance on all my wheels.
On the recent Euro trip, I stretched the cars legs and I thought the thing was going to fall apart with the wobble!!!
I'll see what it's like upon its return- standard brakes here..

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Thank you for the tips. I know that the hands free quality is a little iffy, since I have lived with a 12C for a bit. See above. As it is a new car, and if it does have this little bug, is there a fix for it? In other words, if I pair my phone and it has the same garbled quality, what should I do?

The car is being wrapped with the "nano wrap" on the entire front and the bottom of the doors as I tap this.
If it sounds garbled, you will need a new radio head unit. They had to replace mine. I love my CC brakes. Would never change then for steel, plus the stares you get from people, wow man, look at those brakes! ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Has anyone had their dealer succeed in fixing the vibration problem? I'm really concerned about it now as a potential owner.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Has anyone had their dealer succeed in fixing the vibration problem? I'm really concerned about it now as a potential owner.
The vibration has mostly been occurring on cars with ceramics,nothing to be concerned about as it only on a small percentage of cars and everyone seems to have had it fixed.Its not something that should stop you from owning one as you would be unlucky to get it,but then it would be fixed as they now know where to look to solve the issue.The first few cars with a problem always take some investigation,but all this info has been collated and acted upon.Like everything thre are teething problems,it wouldn't stop me from buying a ferrarii because I thought it would go up in flames,that was sorted quick enough!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spoke to my dealer over the holiday about this issue...he says is was only a problem in some very few cars early on with the CCBs and that they were corrected. The vendor has fixed the issue. Only about 10% of cars have them. So not to worry. Go buy the car. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you so much for the great info and reassurance! I'm so thrilled about what I hear from owners about the customer service experience.

Is McLaren Philadelphia one of the great dealers?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'll speak for myself, but Phili Mac is the single greatest car purchasing experience I've had. They've been great!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll speak up for Long Island Mclaren.

They just started up with Mclaren and are eager to please. Not to mention that they are gentlemen. Also my best car purchasing experience.

If you're in the area, I think you'll do fine with either.

Walt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts