McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that quite a few people on this forum are very fond on the NSX. Here is the beautiful video showing both old gen NSXs with the new one.
To be honest, I cannot get rid of thinking about the R8 while looking at the front. Also, the fact it is a hybrid doesnt help as well. The cars like the original NSX are the past, we wont see cars like this anymore. But I am glad that Honda, who seemed to have lost its mojo a few years ago decided to remake an NSX. I hope its the sign of them returning back to their sporty roots. The CRX successor wasnt that particulary interesting but its interesting how this one will pan out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for sharing the NSX video. I owned a '91 NSX and racked up 60 K miles over a 10 year period. It was my 'most driven' sports car I have ever owned. Handling was sensational and reliability was second to none..In 10 years of ownership I replaced 1 clutch and 1 window regulator..all else regular maintenance.
I am curious as to what the production car will look like..I dont find it to be exotic looking nor do I find the performance metrics " supercar" competitive..time will tell..Thanks again.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Here's the Acura/Honda Super Bowl commercial for the NSX-Concept:

"Transactions" Extended Version - 2012 Acura NSX-Concept Big Game Commercial

(it was released earlier last week virally online, then featured in the Super Bowl in a 1min version & 30sec version)

Still a work in progress & quite a way's off, as it's slated for 2013 release as 2014 model. Nonetheless something interesting. Good marketing tool & product awareness will likely coincide w/ Honda's return to Formula One as an engine-supplier in 2014. It'll somewhat help validate the V6 choice for the NSX-2.0, as that'll be the config-du'jour for F1.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Epic commercial and nothing like a little Skrillex to get the blood pumping.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Hopefully Honda won't forget about this car five years into production like they did the last one.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Some interesting stuff...

Any McLaren insiders here (posting/lurking) can shed more insight on this? I'm NSX-insane & Mclaren-crazy! :D

Epic commercial and nothing like a little Skrillex to get
the blood pumping.
Yea- admittedly my ticker got a tickin' from it too!

Hopefully Honda won't forget about this car five years into production like they did the last one.
As much as it pains me to say, I believe they will (design-&-produce, sell-&-forget). Other than Honda's bread-&-butter mainstays (Accord & Civic, which are crucial to their viability & solvency), they rarely maintain a lineage w/ their niche` models or enthusiast offerings (ie. '91-'05 NSX/NSX-T, '97-'03 CL-coupe, '99-'09 S2000, '92-'98 Del Sol, '86-'95 Legend-coupe, '83-'91 CR-X).

These offerings were seemingly merely design/technology exercises to extol their (Honda's) image & potential. Likewise for their '10+ CR-Z, and presumably forthcoming '14+ NSX-Concept. . .

·
Registered
886 Posts
^^ Perhaps McLaren were looking at the landscape during the F1 development?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As much as it pains me to say, I believe they will (design-&-produce, sell-&-forget). Other than Honda's bread-&-butter mainstays (Accord & Civic, which are crucial to their viability & solvency), they rarely maintain a lineage w/ their niche` models or enthusiast offerings (ie. '91-'05 NSX/NSX-T, '97-'03 CL-coupe, '99-'99 S2000, '92-'98 Del Sol, '86-'95 Legend-coupe, '83-'91 CR-X).

These offerings were seemingly merely design/technology exercises to extol their (Honda's) image & potential. Likewise for their '10+ CR-Z, and presumably forthcoming '14+ NSX-Concept. . .
Agreed. From experience with their previous halo products, I think its very like to happen also this time. Shame, really, they could learn a thing or two from the Nissan, who is refreshing the GTR every year with some changes added to it.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Some interesting stuff...

Any McLaren insiders here (posting/lurking) can shed more insight on this? I'm NSX-insane & Mclaren-crazy! :D

Yea- admittedly my ticker got a tickin' from it too!

As much as it pains me to say, I believe they will (design-&-produce, sell-&-forget). Other than Honda's bread-&-butter mainstays (Accord & Civic, which are crucial to their viability & solvency), they rarely maintain a lineage w/ their niche` models or enthusiast offerings (ie. '91-'05 NSX/NSX-T, '97-'03 CL-coupe, '99-'99 S2000, '92-'98 Del Sol, '86-'95 Legend-coupe, '83-'91 CR-X).

I believe this has to do with the development of the F1, as I read in the book about its design (the title escapes me right now). Basically, when McLaren was starting the project, they evaluated every existing sports car on the market, including Ferrari, Lambo, Porshce, etc. At the end of their analysis, they determined that the single best all-round product available was the NSX, despite its relatively low power spec. If I remember correctly, one of the things they were most impressed with was the driving position and outward visibility.

Perhaps somebody that owns the book can provide some anecdotes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Awesome video. The NSX will always have a special place in my heart. It's the first real sports car I've ever owned. I love them so much that everytime I sold one I ended up buying another one. I went through 3 NSX's so far. My first one was a '91, second one a '97 and the last one was a '02. In my opinion the new one lost its roots compared the the original NSX but them again I will reserve final judgement till I see one in person and drive. Second, I think Te NSX will have a very hard time competing with other cars within its price range. I'm not sure how much they will be priced at but I'm assuming it will be in the Audi R8 V8 category. I mean people with that kind of cash isn't simply going to buy a NSX over an Audi R8. I'm sure techonolgy wise it is a very advance cars with a lot of F1 technologies built into the car but nowadays it's going be very hard to penetrate the market especially with its price tag. I think for this car to make it they will have to price it very competitively. I can see people buying this car if it's priced around or if not a little bit more than the R35 GTR. It this car is going to go for Audi R8 V8 money I'm confident to say Honda can expect to see very crappy sales number.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nsx

McGents,

I too remain crazy over the NSX. I have a Grand Prix white '92 for the past 17 years. I've owned a few cars since purchasing this one, 944T, Cayman S, M Coupe, 1M, V8 Vantage. On the rare ocassion I pull the NSX out, I realize none of the above are in the same league for visceral thrills and driving pleasure. Especially when framed up as a "period" experience. Driven a 1992 anything lately? The NSX still measures up in all but the power department.

I was pleased when riding in the Mac to feel that same outward visibility and panoramic view that no other road cars match.

How much do I love this car? The car being built this week for me will be the same color, and I will wrap the roof piano black.... as close as I can get to capturing the spirit of the original.

The MP4-12c is what the current NSX should be, given proper evolution of the species.

Bill

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
McGents,

I too remain crazy over the NSX. I have a Grand Prix white '92 for the past 17 years. I've owned a few cars since purchasing this one, 944T, Cayman S, M Coupe, 1M, V8 Vantage. On the rare ocassion I pull the NSX out, I realize none of the above are in the same league for visceral thrills and driving pleasure. Especially when framed up as a "period" experience. Driven a 1992 anything lately? The NSX still measures up in all but the power department.

I was pleased when riding in the Mac to feel that same outward visibility and panoramic view that no other road cars match.

How much do I love this car? The car being built this week for me will be the same color, and I will wrap the roof piano black.... as close as I can get to capturing the spirit of the original.

The MP4-12c is what the current NSX should be, given proper evolution of the species.

Bill
Fascinating. I'm so intrigued by the praise that the original NSX continues to get, as I have never had an opportunity to drive one. Which model years are generally regarded as the best of them?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well Heck... we have a NSX thread and I never have chimed in!

I have a 98 NSX that is sorted with Type R suspension. I have owned it for 9 years. Tracked it for 5+ years before I bought a Spec Miata. I absolutely love the car. From a driving dynamic standpoint - it will keep up and is actually better than most modern cars. No other production sports car can claim the development and input of Senna. I will probably keep it forever. Its all aluminum so its never going to rust!:D

I agree the MP4-12C is what the NSX would have become if Honda kept evolving the NSX. Sadly... after Soichiro passed away, Honda was being run by a bunch of accountants!.

6e - which year is best is completely a subjective opinion. Some feel that the fixed top coupes are the best. In that case the 99 Zanardi(production run of 50) are best b/c they have the 3.2L and 6 spd. Others feel that the 1st gen(91-95) are best because the manual steering rack is better than the electrical one and OBD I means that you can easily Supercharge it for a reliable 350 RHWP. Another group feels that the Targa's are the best b/c it can be a covertible when u want it. Its a topic of heated discussion on the NSX site. Finally... I know quite a few guys who buy one... put 100K+ miles on them sell it and buy another low mileage one. Its a cult.:D

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Well Heck... we have a NSX thread and I never have chimed in!

I have a 98 NSX that is sorted with Type R suspension. I have owned it for 9 years. Tracked it for 5+ years before I bought a Spec Miata. I absolutely love the car. From a driving dynamic standpoint - it will keep up and is actually better than most modern cars. No other production sports car can claim the development and input of Senna. I will probably keep it forever. Its all aluminum so its never going to rust!:D

I agree the MP4-12C is what the NSX would have become if Honda kept evolving the NSX. Sadly... after Soichiro passed away, Honda was being run by a bunch of accountants!.

6e - which year is best is completely a subjective opinion. Some feel that the fixed top coupes are the best. In that case the 99 Zanardi(production run of 50) are best b/c they have the 3.2L and 6 spd. Others feel that the 1st gen(91-95) are best because the manual steering rack is better than the electrical one and OBD I means that you can easily Supercharge it for a reliable 350 RHWP. Another group feels that the Targa's are the best b/c it can be a covertible when u want it. Its a topic of heated discussion on the NSX site. Finally... I know quite a few guys who buy one... put 100K+ miles on them sell it and buy another low mileage one. Its a cult.:D
Wow, so cool. Was the Type R suspension a factory option?

I guess the 50 Zanardi examples are highly sought after?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The Type R is equivalent to a 911GT3 package. It's Honda track package. Unfortunately it was never offered as an option in the USA but many of us just bought the parts from Japan and installed them on our cars. I have the full Type R suspension, Front Chassis bars and other mods to make it track sorted.

Zanardi's without any repair history are highly sought out and you will rarely see one for sale. However once in a while you get a dumb used luxury dealership that has one and doesn't know it!! It happened a couple of years ago!

·
Registered
12 Posts
overall i like it & want to see it in person. correct on the R8 resemblance. it doesnt look "like an NSX" take porsche or corvette for example, who with time can make aesthetic changes to body style yet remain easily identifiable as the type of car it is and u expect it to be or look like. they change without changing in a sense. i get confused with the branding. is the car an acura or a honda? loved the spyder concept version at the end of the avengers movie. way better than the coupe concept.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts