McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I've been looking for a mp4-12c since before this summer began. I almost picked one up but was 10 min late. Someone else bought it. I currently have a 2012 gt-r and will be trading it in.
Did anyone trade in their gt-r for a mp4-12c and have any regrets? I didnt modify my gtr. Its completely stock so I will be doing the same with the mp4. Im going to try looking for another one now that summer is almost over hoping to get another great deal. Im just worried that I may regret trading the gtr for the mp4. I did test drive it at mclaren philly. Guys there were great. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks,
lc

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Agree with the above, but do imagine 4wheel drive during winter time if you're in the northeast, that could be useful if its your only ride.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
We had 15 12c,s at the Nurburgring this week and several of the guys had come straight from the GTR,lots of praise for it,but none would go back after seat time in the 12c,as has been said,a different league ,but you have to learn the car before you realise how big a jump it is:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think that after test driving it you see why we all love our 12c's. having driven both the gtr and the 12c, I pick the 12c hands down.
The guys at mclaren Philadelphia make up by far, THE best dealership that I have dealt with In any car brand. They are a pleasure to do business with, and their service is beyond wonderful.
If I could buy every future car I bought through them, I would. That's how impressed I am with mclaren Philadelphia.
When looking for my 12c, I was stuck on a gallardo, I had been looking for almost a year, but every dealer that I dealt with we're just pompous scum, all had the "Ferrari" attitude. After one trip to mclaren Philly, I was sold on the Mac. I haven't regretted it since. Driving it is an experience all to its own, I drive an NSX and a 911 turbo on a regular basis, and nothing, I mean nothing gets as many stares, pictures, smiles, questions, than the 12c.
Heck, even stopping for gas at the pumps is fun!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I traded my GTR earlier this year. It had full bolt ons and E85 tune, putting 620 at the wheels. Loved it but I quickly got bored with it. It was extremely quick and that was about it for me. Cheap interior,dealers and service sucked, and some consumables are ridiculous prices.

I had many exotics prior to it but just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Been there done that now. The 12C will make you forget it very quickly. Buy one and never look back.

Dick magnet to chick magnet. Lol.

Good luck.

Keith.

·
Registered
907 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx guys, yeah, the test drive I had blew me away. This will be my first exotic. Driven gallardo and f430 before but none handled like the mp4. Its a daily driver which I will be using it for. GTR was great, but I like low cars. I had a 2001 NSX-T in the past and miss how low it sat. I was concern about the rear wheel drive. But i didnt take out my gtr in the winter or rain anyway. Im 42 with kids so dont plan on driving reckless. Anyway, thank you all for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Now I just gotta figure out what color. hehe
lc

·
Registered
323 Posts
Lots of GT-R bashing in this thread! I own both currently, and glad to be fortunate enough to have both in my garage. I've said this in previous threads: the GT-R is an astounding achievement. Is my 12c better? Yes, clearly. Is it three times better, proportional to the price diff? No. The 12c will turn more heads, it will win the 60-120mph sprint, it's more luxurious inside, etc. - but when it comes to having fun at a stoplight, merging onto a highway, and just general driving enjoyment every day, the differences are less apparent. And the radio/nav always works!

I agree with BlueNSX that Philly McL is top notch. If Nissan had allowed the Infiniti dealer network to handle GT-R servicing in the US, it would be a much better experience. Having said that, you can throw a stone in NJ just about anywhere and hit a Nissan dealer. I think for most of us, getting our 12c's serviced requires a bit more logistical planning given the distances.

Hey BlueNSX - saw the pics. The back of your car never looked so good!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I went from a GT-R (tune, full exhaust) to an SLS and then to a 12C.

I honestly think that both cars give me a similar emotional response. The 12c is the just the next step upwards when you finally feel used to your gt-r. No one is doubting that the 12c is faster, nicer to drive, surprisingly more comfortable. But performance wise, they are in a similar league especially when using them on the road. On the track the 12c is pretty much in the same league as cars such as the atom, radical etc.

An one thing I forgot. Even after having purchased the 12C, if I didn't live in Manhattan I would purchase one as a second car in a heart beat. The 12C owners who haven't tried let alone used on a day to day basis a GT-r dont know what they are talking about.

The cars can be compared!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts