McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Humm. Let's see. Looking at the 2012 statistics:

1. Out of 20 events, McLaren and Red Bull each won seven races.
  2. Next best was Ferrari with 3 (Alonzo, Alonzo, Alonzo -- best driver in F1)
  3. Of the other three winners, two (Williams and Mercedes) were mid-pack runners all season. Only Lotus showed any real form -- -- thanks to Kimi.
  4. Lewis won 4 races; only Vettel won more (5).
So Lewis leaves McDaddy to go to Mercedes which accomplished nothing in 2012 and which in 2013 will be managed and partly owned (in unknown proportions) by Brawn, Wolff, and Lauda. Translation: It will be team bedlam.

I hope Lewis got a lot of money for making the move. He can spend some of it to buy a big screen TV so he can watch replays of the race and see what a checkered flag looks like when it comes out for a race winner. He'll be so far back, he won't otherwise know.

Just sayin' :D

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Lewis isn't doing it for the car in 2013. BTW, he is not being paid more money for the move. He's doing it for the engine/car package in 2014...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe you're right Touge, but why didn't he stay with McDaddy for their engine/car package in 2014? What makes him think Brawn/Wolf/Lauda/Mercedes will do a better job in 2014 than McLaren? I don't know.

He's shifting from a proven winner to proven mediocrity IMHO.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Will Brawn still be with Mercedes in 2014, or even 2013? The BBC/Eddie Jordan seemed not to think so earlier in the week and were pushing the rumour of Paddy Lowe jumping ship from McLaren to join Mercedes. They have been known to call these things correctly!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Lewis isn't doing it for the car in 2013. BTW, he is not being paid more money for the move. He's doing it for the engine/car package in 2014...
I thought he was doing it for the 60 mill that Mclaren didnt want to pay? What do i know!!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Maybe you're right Touge, but why didn't he stay with McDaddy for their engine/car package in 2014? What makes him think Brawn/Wolf/Lauda/Mercedes will do a better job in 2014 than McLaren? I don't know.

He's shifting from a proven winner to proven mediocrity IMHO.
George, are you predicting the future by projecting the past into the future?

Seems to me, and you I suspect, something MAJOR, has to develope at Merc.......driver, engine,chassis, speed of development, sunshade girls makeup etc.

So what is going to change that upsets the usual order and performance.....people????

Just stirring the Pot

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Round: Your comments are right on the money IMHO. I've seen it before when a very good driver goes to a so-so team and believes he is going to carry it on his back. You get a so-so result.

As long as Brawn is at Mercedes, it will be Brawn Racing or a variant thereof. Adding Lauda and Wolf will not improve their game IMO. It will be a decent team, but they will be fighting Force India for 5th place behind RB, McDaddy, Ferrari and Lotus.

If Lewis had gone to Ferrari and teamed with Alonzo, that would have been tremendous. But that's not what we have here.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Um George I know you like to stir the pot but I think you are forgetting just how quick LH can drive. McLaren just lost 3-5 tenths of qualifying pace and Merc gained it, before anybody has turned a wrench on the new cars. If Lowe is going to Merc as rumoured then perhaps the proposal was such that there will be a lot of key pieces in place at Merc for 2014.

By the way, Lewis showed your man Alfonso his heels in his rookie season in 2007 while they drove identical cars and the Spaniard was already 2 time champ and in his prime. Alfonso a better pilot than Lewis today? Not in your wildest dreams. ;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Um George I know you like to stir the pot but I think you are forgetting just how quick LH can drive. McLaren just lost 3-5 tenths of qualifying pace and Merc gained it, before anybody has turned a wrench on the new cars. If Lowe is going to Merc as rumoured then perhaps the proposal was such that there will be a lot of key pieces in place at Merc for 2014.

By the way, Lewis showed your man Alfonso his heels in his rookie season in 2007 while they drove identical cars and the Spaniard was already 2 time champ and in his prime. Alfonso a better pilot than Lewis today? Not in your wildest dreams. ;)
6th: You're a very perceptive guy. You know I love friendly controversy.

LH was getting preferred treatment at McLaren because he was Ron D's baby. That's why Fernando went to Ferrari where he's established himself as King of the Hill. If LH went to Ferrari now, he'd be getting a good look at Fernando's exhausts. (GeorgeSSS stirs the pot).

OK. Now, we've all staked out some positions ahead of the season. Let's hope some more of our McLaren tribe join in this discussion.

I reserve the right to change my position and deny connection to all prior comments at any time or times.

Let the games begin.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
6th: You're a very perceptive guy. You know I love friendly controversy.

LH was getting preferred treatment at McLaren because he was Ron D's baby. That's why Fernando went to Ferrari where he's established himself as King of the Hill. If LH went to Ferrari now, he'd be getting a good look at Fernando's exhausts. (GeorgeSSS stirs the pot).

OK. Now, we've all staked out some positions ahead of the season. Let's hope some more of our McLaren tribe join in this discussion.

I reserve the right to change my position and deny connection to all prior comments at any time or times.

Let the games begin.
You're a good sport G. Cheers. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts