McLaren Life banner

2 Minute Cool Down

5K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  lowerrock 
#1 ·
Do you let the car ideal for 2 minutes to cool down the turbos before turning it off?

All the time or just after pushing hard/track days?

#2 ·
Always a cool down lap and always give the car a chance after a spirited drive, usually at least a couple of miles.

#4 ·
I'm paranoid about stuff like this. Probably I'm idling only 15-30 seconds though. Just enough to push some fluids around. Nothing specific in the manual, unless I missed it. Even under normal driving you'll notice the electric fans spin for 5 minutes or so after shutdown. Not sure why, maybe ambient temp more than hard running.

2 minutes cooldown is an unacceptable chore in daily driver role IMO. I let it breathe at 2000 rpms/6th gear when approach my house. AC off early too.

I've never seen the grey bars turn red, I'd definitely consider my options then. Can I trust the bars though?

#9 ·
same here... always gentle when running home... however I have to say I have never, even on track seen the temperatures move up... and last time was high degree ambient heat at spa... (has it even been that hot there before... certainly can't happen that often!)

equally can't believe 6000 miles, four track days and no pads or tyres yet required.. monitor the situation closely, but still have plenty of life.. incredible really.. think tyres must be due to the fact that normally run in higher ambient and don't really go potty till the temps well into the 50c and then try and keep them at 70 ish.. certainly helps it would appear

#14 ·
I had a 5 series BMW that blew the turbo at 15,000 miles because I never let it idle after my 140 mile motorway journey.......I repeated that trip for most of the 15,000 miles. Learnt a lesson but forgot it!

#15 ·
Another trick I often do on track days is to putting the heating on full during the cool down lap, it brings temps down pretty quickly. On my Aeromax you can watch the gauge drop, and of course this is manual intervention as opposed to waiting for the thermostat to kick in and start radiator fans.

The obvious issue with the 12c are turbos. They really need airflow to cool down.

#16 · (Edited)
I thought the whole letting the car run for 2 min procedure was for turbocharged cars running on Dino oil(non synthetic) - since it leaves broken down oil caked in the engine compartment. It shouldn't be an issue on modern engines with full synthetic oil. Another point: The fans run when the engine compartment is hot. Opening up the engine bay does a disservice since the fans might not run as long as they should. This is coming from my GT3 experience/manual. Porsche specifically advises against opening up the engine bay to cool down the car.

I still let the car run for 30 secs after a drive and do an extended cool down lap if I track the car.

#17 ·
Any need for an aftermarket turbo timer?

I know this suggestion may appear a bit 'ricey' for a modern high tech super car but those electronic gadgets were a fad in the past :eek::rolleyes:

#18 ·
love the fact you call them ricey,considering the part of the world you come from,quite funny how the whole world refers to certain things,but as Ritesh says it really is down to oil ,but old habits die hard,and it can only be beneficial to give it a cool down :)

#20 ·
I just cool my jets when nearing home and drive the last mile or so gently. Frankly, unless you live on an off-ramp or have a house aside a race track (not impossible BTW), you will likely be averaging 30 mph on the last mile home if in a typical community, which works out to 2 minutes of gentle, off-boost and low rpm driving anyway.

You don't want to be an asshat like Bieber in the 'Hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.