McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had the oppurtunity to take the 12C to the track the past weekend. It was a great experience. I felt like a Rockstar from all the attention I was getting. People were lining up begging for rides. The car is absolutely amazing at the track and I wasn't pushing it hard since it was the 1st time I took it to the track.

TRACK: Texas World Speedway. 2.9 Mile Roval with 2 long straighaways.

PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE: I have 9 years of DE experience and instruct for a local DE organization but I am by no means that fast. I haven't done any W2W racing(yet).... still negotiating with my wife for that one.:eek:

ISSUES: I had 2 issues pop up during the weekend. The engine temps got to the point that the Engine/Water temp bars were orange for a few secs. I had to up shift or cut the session short. When I measured the temps they were 237- 239 so not terribly high but still I couldn't ignore the warning. The other issue was tire temps/pressures were high. This was partially due to the fact that it was incredibly hot the past weekend. Ambient temps were up to 99 degrees F. Track temp's were 120 degrees F. I kept dropping tire pressure before each session to rectify the problem.

OVERALL: The car did great. I was running 1.58-2:00 laps when I had some clean laps. That's not spectacular but pretty good considering 1st time on the track, completely stock car with stock tires and brake pads. I was probably driving at 85-90% of my capabilities just to ensure that I didn't have any "incidents". All the car really needs is track tires, Racing brake fluid, alignment and 5 point harnesses. The harnesses are a must since I had a hard time making sure the belt stayed locked in place.

TRACK MAP:

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My track tow vehicle/trailer

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The track has seen better days but still is my favorite place to track a car.

Another member's car.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other cars. Sorry... forgot to resize the images!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Ritesh had a much happier experience than me (that's my VO car with the black roof in one of his pictures). On the cool down lap of the first session, I hit a hole in the track and split the sidewall of the front passenger tire. End of my fun for the day, I ended up going home with the car on a tow truck ( thankyou AAA)
New tire arrives tomorrow, so its not a big deal. This was my second track day in the car and I am still a long way from mastering it, especially at this particular track : TWS is a pretty fast course and I found that the the usual tactic I apply in my FGT doesn't work with the 12 C; on apexing a corner in the GT you can simply mash the throttle and go on to the next turn, but in the Mac you have to " feed" on the gas pretty carefully or else you carry way too much speed out of the turn- lots of fun but then its brown trousers time at the next corner!
Thanks to Ritesh for helping out when I got the flat, and it was good to finally meet up. Also weird to see two almost identical Macs together. When are you ordering the carbon mirrors Ritesh?!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you made it home safely David... Sorry I had to go so early!

Btw.. I have video from the track from a mounted Go Pro, just can't seem to ge it uploaded to YouTube! Will try again tmrw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts