McLaren Life banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
It's just a series production car. Of course you can order one if you want.

Just have to wait until the prime customers gets theirs first.

However, I'd take the lightweight 765LT over the SuperFat 90 even at the same price.
Agree and this really is not comparable with the McLaren 720S or forthcoming LT variant, rather the 720S replacement that is still years away. The McLaren V8 hybrid will likely weigh less because of the carbon monocage. And McLaren seems focused on RWD, at least in the P1 and Speedtail. But my guess is that it will end up in the 3400-3500 lb range, with 800-850 rather than 1000 hp. Time will tell.

I do agree with @ChrisK1982 about the doors... shame that butterfly doors are verboten for Ferrari outside their halo cars :(

·
Registered
628 Posts
Agree and this really is not comparable with the McLaren 720S or forthcoming LT variant, rather the 720S replacement that is still years away. The McLaren V8 hybrid will likely weigh less because of the carbon monocage. And McLaren seems focused on RWD, at least in the P1 and Speedtail. But my guess is that it will end up in the 3400-3500 lb range, with 800-850 rather than 1000 hp. Time will tell.

I do agree with @ChrisK1982 about the doors... shame that butterfly doors are verboten for Ferrari outside their halo cars :(
V6 Hybrid, not V8....

·
Registered
767 Posts
Unknown at this point if the 720S replacement will be V6 or V8... have assumed V8, but V6 possible particularly if they want to keep the base price at or below $300k. If it has say 800hp, that could be 500hp V6 + 300hp AWD electric or 700hp V8 + 100hp RWD electric. Latter will be lower in weight and therefore higher power/weight ratio, which would seem to align better with McLaren' design philosophy.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Too bad the F8 was not this car sans the hybrid tech. The SF90 Stradale does seem well thought out, and I think it will look stunning if well spec'd. It's also the first Ferrari that I feel has a potentially great interior. Supposedly they want 25% to go to new customers... my name is on the interest list so we'll see what happens.
Unknown at this point if the 720S replacement will be V6 or V8... have assumed V8, but V6 possible particularly if they want to keep the base price at or below $300k. If it has say 800hp, that could be 500hp V6 + 300hp AWD electric or 700hp V8 + 100hp RWD electric. Latter will be lower in weight and therefore higher power/weight ratio, which would seem to align better with McLaren' design philosophy.
I think they could make the 720s engine a hybrid without any major problems if they just add a small "city" 150hp electro engine (would also keep the battery small and with some additional weight savings over the 720s the weight could possibly be under 70kg more than the 720s leaving room for a LT variant possibly around the 720s weight ... maybe that would not be that expensive. the whole car would than have around 850-950 hp while being 80-100kg lighter than a P1 and possibly 300kg lighter than the SF90 ... the small V6 Hybrid in the Sports Series will probably have an output of around 620-650hp ... maybe they can even design a shared hybrid component which can be fitted to the V6 and V8 for cost saving and could be upgraded to around 250-300hp for ultimate series ( if they don't want to introduce a more complicated electric front axis with an ultimate series car first)

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's going to get pretty interesting, as any hybrid needs a significant power hike to counteract the weight penalty. Or there is no point, apart from fuel economy.

Unless the hybrid Super Series is circa 1000bhp, it appears "pointless" as it would be worse than a 720S. Maybe McLaren just made the 720S too good.

And the 765LT will be the new benchmark :)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
It's going to get pretty interesting, as any hybrid needs a significant power hike to counteract the weight penalty. Or there is no point, apart from fuel economy.

Unless the hybrid Super Series is circa 1000bhp, it appears "pointless" as it would be worse than a 720S. Maybe McLaren just made the 720S too good.

And the 765LT will be the new benchmark :)
Think they mostly only do that for the fuel economy ... not that hybridization would have any other significant advantages if you could still make cars with lower emission standards ...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Think they mostly only do that for the fuel economy ... not that hybridization would have any other significant advantages if you could still make cars with lower emission standards ...
I tend to agree with that. Which means probably a broadly similar power to weight as current models, but better economy and emissions.

Although they will likely also have a 1000hp+ model, to compete with SF90.

·
Registered
767 Posts
This table from the Ferrari tech data sheet is quite interesting. Note ICE power is in cv and electric power is in kW (1 kW = 1.34 cv). Only in 'Qualify' mode - basically IPAS, which will quickly deplete the battery - do you get the full balls 1000cv. Once the battery charge falls too low, the electric motors and battery become a lot of extra sprung mass on a car that in reality probably has similar ICE output to the 720S.

Performance mode and hybrid mode are basically the same, with hybrid allowing the battery to stay partially depleted and enabling the ICE start/stop feature we all love so much. Both of these normal driving modes limit the electric motor output to 43% of maximum to avoid depleting the battery. I doubt the 875HP available in these modes will be enough to outperform the Pista or 720S, which are 600-700 lbs lighter; it still could since electric motors have maximum torque available from 0 rpm, thereby affecting the performance more than expected from just + 95 hp.

eDrive seems fairly useless except for sneaking out of the house at night without waking up the family or neighbors ;)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
I do think the SF90 Stradale will be stunning. And at least the acquisition price seems to be coming in at the low end of the anticipated range.

View attachment 194617 View attachment 194621 View attachment 194623
a non-limited 4wd 1700kg car with 875 bhp? Id rather have the Pista, having chased some LaF recently on twisty roads, i could cruise behind them while they were driven flat out.

And talking of silliness if Ferrari keeps on bragging about how they have scrapped the reverse gear to save weight..., the Pista has so much torque that you can easily drive it fast in a gear or two higher than you think, so for the Superfat hybrid, you would presumably have even more torque which means if you wanted to save weight you should have a 5 speed gearbox, not an 8 speed... The Pista doesnt need more than 5 gear.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
a non-limited 4wd 1700kg car with 875 bhp? Id rather have the Pista, having chased some LaF recently on twisty roads, i could cruise behind them while they were driven flat out.

And talking of silliness if Ferrari keeps on bragging about how they have scrapped the reverse gear to save weight..., the Pista has so much torque that you can easily drive it fast in a gear or two higher than you think, so for the Superfat hybrid, you would presumably have even more torque which means if you wanted to save weight you should have a 5 speed gearbox, not an 8 speed... The Pista doesnt need more than 5 gear.

if only it just were 1700kg ;-) (some on Fchat say 1860kg+ kerb weight with minimum fuel) ... Pista seems to be a real beast :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Agree with all the above, and I can relate to those driving modes as they are the same as i8, except with the addition of the Qualify mode. i8 runs out of e power after a few laps on track, and then becomes a RWD slightly imbalanced car with just 2/3 power. Same will be true of the SuperFat 90.

Will be just fine on road though, as e power will never deplete. But interesting data that it will be "just" 875hp then, and not 1000.

121 - 135 of 135 Posts