McLaren Life banner

61 - 80 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Looks much better in silver/grey with the "Assetto Fiorano" spec (equivalent to Porsche Weissach). I do not like the Chevrolet-esque tail lights, not sure why they don't retain the classic round shape in single or double configuration. And the front and rear parts of the car are designed in a way that is not coherent to me. But as a whole it looks good, and probably will look great when spec'd well. I think it will look awesome in all black i.e. batmobile spec.

They did modernize the interior with a 16" screen in the gauge cluster. The DCT is now 8-sp and the gear selector is gimmicky, it's made to resemble a gated manual from the past. Steering wheel is overcrowded with buttons and controls; I get that is a F1 thing but there is a lot to be said about how McLaren and Porsche GT Caras keep it simple and optimized for actually steering the car.

I'm hearing the USA base price will be around $510k meaning a decently optioned car will be around $600k. Very expensive for sure, but if so that's a lot more value than I expected from Ferrari. Performance will of course be good particularly in a straight line. A tuned 720S will stay take it though, particularly on track, considering how much heavier the Ferrari will be.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks decent but not completely sold on the looks. Rear lights look like it's from a Corvette and the front like an old school Camero. Those side mirrors look a little big. It's definitely on the porky side.. about 3600lbs wet.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Looks like 1700+ kg real weight, which is very heavy indeed. That's what happens when Ferrari won't build with carbon.

But great power output.

Price will be interesting.

The more I look at it, the less I like it though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i just don't understand how nobody on the design team said "guys these taillights look like a corvette, we have to come up with something else" thats all i see when i look at it

·
Registered
239 Posts
I dont care how fast it is... by the look of how tech is progressing, this car will not be within the performance average within the next 5 years... and by then, I wouldn't rely on its looks to keep me interested... Is there anything there that is innovative? I think this car is one of those we need to catch up to the competition vehicles especially given that a plethora of electric / hybrid super cars are coming out of the woods

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Someone who was at the premier wrote this ... basically that is killing the performance for me as the car used this way will only last 10 miles maybe and after that it’s a 400kg more heavy f8 for the rest of the time ... that is also why Topspeed is lower than on 720s

„Electric motors on the front wheels can work only until 220km/h and the full power of the 3 electric engine could be used for one lap maximum.
Then at high speed you have only the ice and on the track the 1000cv are only for short period.
Not so good to add 270 kg for a limited use when you need the electric (hi speed or track)“

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Someone who was at the premier wrote this ... basically that is killing the performance for me as the car used this way will only last 10 miles maybe and after that it’s a 400kg more heavy f8 for the rest of the time ... that is also why Topspeed is lower than on 720s

„Electric motors on the front wheels can work only until 220km/h and the full power of the 3 electric engine could be used for one lap maximum.
Then at high speed you have only the ice and on the track the 1000cv are only for short period.
Not so good to add 270 kg for a limited use when you need the electric (hi speed or track)“
How do you get 400kg heavier than a F8? Dry weight 1570kg. The F8 most assuredly is not 1170kg dry, nor is practically any other large 8+ cylinder sports car.

Have to admit I don't get the carping about the weight. It's a hybrid and able to move on electric supposedly for 20 miles (hah!). That means a fair chunk of battery and that means weight. The speedtail is 1430kg dry in lightest spec iirc, full cf panels, monocoque and presumably for it's price every weight saving feature thrown at it. As I said, the 918 was ballpark the same weight as the Ferrari, ditto every possible weight saving feature applied.

I do agree though, the car is obviously not the best option for a track car as the batteries will run out of power fairly quickly but again no buyer is ever going to heavily track a car like that anyway and the battery is sufficient for Ferrari to get hero laps out of it for mag testing so one could argue the hybrid serves it's required function.

·
Registered
180 Posts
How do you get 400kg heavier than a F8? Dry weight 1570kg. The F8 most assuredly is not 1170kg dry, nor is practically any other large 8+ cylinder sports car.

Have to admit I don't get the carping about the weight. It's a hybrid and able to move on electric supposedly for 20 miles (hah!). That means a fair chunk of battery and that means weight. The speedtail is 1430kg dry in lightest spec iirc, full cf panels, monocoque and presumably for it's price every weight saving feature thrown at it. As I said, the 918 was ballpark the same weight as the Ferrari, ditto every possible weight saving feature applied.

I do agree though, the car is obviously not the best option for a track car as the batteries will run out of power fairly quickly but again no buyer is ever going to heavily track a car like that anyway and the battery is sufficient for Ferrari to get hero laps out of it for mag testing so one could argue the hybrid serves it's required function.
Agreed!! Isn’t the power to weight ratio very similar to the Laf, P1 and the 918. I don’t recall the obsession with those cars being called heavy. The specs show a 0-60 in 2.5 and they are reporting that the new car is faster than the LaF and that ran the 0-60 in 2.4. Unfortunately the entire industry will be heading towards hybrid and that will mean extra weight until the batteries get lighter.

I’m also at a loss how they couldn’t find a better design for the tail lights. All I see is a camaro/corvette.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I give Ferrari credit for going somewhat more extreme vs their prior understated designs but car is a mess in my view. Its a mix of several cars and not sure what they are thinking about the front rockers and chevy rear end. The front lights also look very odd. More updated interior is nice and i love the steering wheel. The performance numbers are just ok but not for the price and in 3 years, the performance numbers will be average especially with an eventual 720s hybrid coming out. the car is way too fat as well. the reviews on fchat seem very mixed but tilting more towards the negative side. i personally think car has a very confusing design.

it is interesting to see the number of models Ferrari is now whipping out!!! This was their prior knock with McLaren lol.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I give Ferrari credit for going somewhat more extreme vs their prior understated designs but car is a mess in my view. Its a mix of several cars and not sure what they are thinking about the front rockers and chevy rear end. The front lights also look very odd. More updated interior is nice and i love the steering wheel. The performance numbers are just ok but not for the price and in 3 years, the performance numbers will be average especially with an eventual 720s hybrid coming out. the car is way too fat as well. the reviews on fchat seem very mixed but tilting more towards the negative side. i personally think car has a very confusing design.

it is interesting to see the number of models Ferrari is now whipping out!!! This was their prior knock with McLaren lol.
I was thinking the same thing. Everyone at Fchat was bashing Mclaren a few years ago when they announced their plan to release a bunch of new models. Fast forward a few years and now Ferrari is doing the exact same thing. Lots of new models coming out in a short period of time and the depreciation curve is now affecting Ferrari. A 720s hybrid would be awesome!!

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
i like the car i have to say..

i think concerns about the weight are reasonable as that will effect the driving experience as we all know

my dealer tells me its 500k so that would be the same in dollars and 375 ish pounds perhaps..

so cheaper than rumoured

but an interesting comparison to be made with the 7xx LT when it arrives which will surely be less powerful but much lighter and ultimately dynamically better for perhaps slightly less money...

i think the concerns about the electricity depletion will be mostly unfounded.. these things charge aggressively when on it and things have moved on substantially since P1, laf and 918 days...

you will simply have less power for less of the time, but will always have something, and no doubt be able to select 'hot lap' mode to give it everything it's got in one hit... but it'll no doubt have other more conservative modes to allow the car to deploy and recharge over a longer period, much like the engine modes we see in F1..

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
i like the car i have to say..

i think concerns about the weight are reasonable as that will effect the driving experience as we all know

my dealer tells me its 500k so that would be the same in dollars and 375 ish pounds perhaps..

so cheaper than rumoured

but an interesting comparison to be made with the 7xx LT when it arrives which will surely be less powerful but much lighter and ultimately dynamically better for perhaps slightly less money...

i think the concerns about the electricity depletion will be mostly unfounded.. these things charge aggressively when on it and things have moved on substantially since P1, laf and 918 days...

you will simply have less power for less of the time, but will always have something, and no doubt be able to select 'hot lap' mode to give it everything it's got in one hit... but it'll no doubt have other more conservative modes to allow the car to deploy and recharge over a longer period, much like the engine modes we see in F1..

eveyone is quoting the msrp of 500k but i highly doubt the Ferrari dealers are going to sell for msrp. So figure you pay a 10-15% premium to get one plus $100k in options and you now have a car costing 650-700k. The dealers, unless you are a top client, will sells these for MSRP.

61 - 80 of 135 Posts