McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Basically it's hybrid 488/F8... Ferrari's take on the 918 Spider, with turbos on the flat plane V8 and a more normal exhaust setup. The tech details will be interesting, i.e. if the front electric motors decouple beyond a certain speed, and how much output they choose for the gas engine. I get Ferrari's take on car interiors, but electrification of the drivetrain on a brand new model would be a great opportunity to update the screens and controls. And of course the big question is of course how much will it weigh? US curb weight of the 918 Spyder = 3600-3700 lbs, much over that and I'd say it 's a fail.

Hard to gauge price/value. On one hand it is crazy expensive compared to other supercars i.e. 720S, 488/F8, GT2RS, Performante etc. On the other, compared to the 918 Spyder, it might be a bargain. Despite being regular production, the cost will inherently limit how many are sold. At the end of the run might it almost as scarce as the 918.
so a hybrid 458, everything else is just a facelift and a turbo engine. same old chassis ;)

·
720s
881 Posts
For $700K++ you would have thought they could come up with something better looking than new Corvette...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Kinda weird looking. Not a huge fan yet. Front end looks pretty good, and interior is modernized, but the rest I'm pretty underwhelmed by.

Dunno honestly it looks strange ... the front looks like sth from the 90ies and the back looks like as if 2 design Teams came with different ideas and the took half of each ... and the headlights seem to have airducts under them just a bit like 720s ... overall it’s not really looking like the most awesome design I have ever seen from Ferrari

·
Registered
179 Posts
For $700K++ you would have thought they could come up with something better looking than new Corvette...
Also not that fast for $700k. They've basically made a more extreme NSX-R (650HP) for 3.5 times the price.
Where did you see the performance figures? I haven’t seen anything posted other than around 1000hp. The official unveiling is coming up soon and I guess we will find out.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Numbers are impressive but not too far away from cars like eg the 720s or Senna ... if you add some real world conditions and Ferraris tendency to measure „very good values“ it’s maybe slightly better accelerating than a stock 720s but not outworldy faster like the 2sec to 60mph and 6sec to 200km/h which made the round as rumors before suggested

From Topgear:
"The ICE part of the equation produces 769bhp, the tripartite electric motors adding a further 216 for a total of 986bhp – or a more pleasingly rounded 1000 cv if you go with our Italian brethren. Either way, it’s a whole heap of power, the most any Ferrari V8 has ever ponied up, and it translates to a zero to 62mph time of 2.5 seconds, 124mph in 6.9 seconds, and a top speed of 212mph. All-wheel drive is clearly handy in these circumstances, whether you’re a purist or not."

Attachments

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Correct. Dry weight is 1570 kg or 3461 with 1000hp. Crazy.
1570 kg dry means maybe 1700kg or a bit over fully fuelled. That's obviously heavy but tbh not so far off the 918 in non WP form and that car had everything PAG could do thrown at it to save weight. So for what it is, the new Ferrari isn't terrible weight wise either imo.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Purported about 3600 lbs...
Generally I like it, other than the tail lamps which look to be out of the Chevrolet parts bin
Shift buttons mimicking gated manual seem gimmicky, but at least they interior has evolved somewhat
Interesting to see what a nicely spec'd car will end up costing and when deliveries will begin.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Purported about 3600 lbs...
Generally I like it, other than the tail lamps which look to be out of the Chevrolet parts bin
Shift buttons mimicking gated manual seem gimmicky, but at least they interior has evolved somewhat
Interesting to see what a nicely spec'd car will end up costing and when deliveries will begin.

From the Autocar article: Rumours suggest a price tag somewhere between £500,000 and £750,000.

The car is a series production model, with Galleria claiming that of the 2000 customers who are invited to see the car tonight, “most have already ordered one. Anyone who orders now will have a long wait”. Around 60% of customers are expected to already own at least one Ferrari.

The first deliveries are tipped to begin in Italy in the first quarter of 2020, with all customers globally receiving their cars by the summer.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Numbers are impressive but not too far away from cars like eg the 720s or Senna ... if you add some real world conditions and Ferraris tendency to measure „very good values“ it’s maybe slightly better accelerating than a stock 720s but not outworldy faster like the 2sec to 60mph and 6sec to 200km/h which made the round as rumors before suggested
Yes the AWD should give a traction advantage for acceleration and some performance/drivability advantages coming out of corners. Overall I like the specs.

41 - 60 of 135 Posts
About this Discussion
134 Replies
26 Participants
Jas
McLaren Life
McLaren Life is the best McLaren forum to discuss reliability, problems & more for supercar models like the F1, P1, 570, 650, 12C, and 720S!
Full Forum Listing