McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
think the idle rpm one was solved (heard that some time ago) new problems are much worse related to emissions and cooling ...

I have no doubt the Valkyrie will be the most radical and fastest thing to hit the road in the foreseeable future, but I have my doubts it will really get to performance levels comparable with a LMP1 in the road version (the AMR PRO version is another thing) ... but even if it is only 20-30sec faster than a Senna we are talking about the Bellof Porsche 956 qualifying time which stood as a Ring record for 3 decades ... not a too bad thing for a road going car which you can afterwards legally go and get a coffee at some nice coffee on the Rhine 80km away
Sub 2min at spa seem to be possible. with the track pack of the road car even quicker, but no i doubt a car on road tyres can beat say the unrestricted 919 time....

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
new rumor on Fchat now puts the car around 1800-1850 kg ? that would be more than a 918, which had a similar concept (3 engine layout w2 electric ones on front + Turbo ICE vs. 4 engine on the BB: 2 on front one on gear box+Turbo ICE) from what they say however had a lot less power than the new Fcar with about 880 hp vs 1000+hp

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
new rumor on Fchat now puts the car around 1800-1850 kg ? that would be more than a 918, which had a similar concept (3 engine layout w2 electric ones on front + Turbo ICE vs. 4 engine on the BB: 2 on front one on gear box+Turbo ICE) from what they say however had a lot less power than the new Fcar with about 880 hp vs 1000+hp
Horrible if true

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Horrible if true
think so too. That would put it far away from a competitor to the Senna/720LT version and more into another version of the V12 GT (f12 812sf) but even heavier & hybrid, maybe a dragster than with still good track capabilities on fast tracks but really no nimble country road car anymore ... That is always what I kind of have my doubts when they speak about complicated hybrid systems ... if you don't use F1 lvl tech (with astronomical price tags and probably not the best daily use capabilities) it could get quiet heavy

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
the old V12 lost of lot of value because they were expensive to maintain. that is not the case for the F12 or the 812, a 599GTO is still way above list, as is the tdf, as will the 812 Aperta and GTO be as well.
i'll make a bet that the residuals and total cost of ownership for this one will be better than for a Macca...
i just hope it doesnt look like a 10 year old 458 internally...
The F12 and 812 actually have pretty significant depreciation over time. The other cars mentioned are "limited edition".

Barely used 2014 F12 are in the low 200s whereas a barely used TDF is $1M.

I see 2018 812s that are asking $80K under sticker. Now true, I expect the rear-mid to have better residuals than the less exotic front-mid, but still, they are going to depreciate and if you start with $800K, it's going to be a lot.

Then again, I personally don't think it will cost $800K. I expect $550-600K well optioned. I think people are overestimating the price, but we'll see soon enough.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Really not feeling that tentative exhaust pipe size.

You can barely see anything, but looks promising. A bit Huracan from the rear.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Really not feeling that tentative exhaust pipe size.

You can barely see anything, but looks promising. A bit Huracan from the rear.
I remember seeing a similar design somewhere in Ferraris history... Oh wait wrong company ... that was the tractor producer Enzo had some argument with >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Interesting that Ferrari have gone with low exhausts, negatively affecting the diffuser and downforce.

Pricing will be a BIG factor in its success. Initial cars will fly off the forecourts irrespective of price of course. If it's 800k.... it better have some VERY high tech features and construction.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Just a reminder of how realistic Ferrari claims and numbers really are: Pista numbers from Auto Motor Sport Test - you can draw your own conclusions:

Auto Motor und Sport Test

0-100 km/h: 2.8 s
0-200 km/h: 7.8 s
0-300 km/h: 21.7 s
400 m: 10.2 s (230 km/h)
Braking (100-0 km/h, cold brakes, warm tyres): 29,5 m
Tyres: Michelin PS Cup2 R
Weight: 1499 kg

2017 720s numbers for comparison: numbers are from actual tests:

0-100 km/h: 2.6 s
0-200 km/h: 7.1 s
0-300 km/h: 18.6 s
400 m: 9.7 s (147 mph)
Braking (100-0 km/h, cold brakes, warm tyres): 29,1 m

Weight: 1419 kg (Kerb Weight)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Exhaust looks relatively conventional middle position a bit similar to Scud or Speciale in the video if they don't change that for the final product

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
well certainly it does not look like a spaceship or sth. like a totally new design language, rather looks like some quiet conventional design - I imagine it to have 812sf like eye sockets and the back lights looks a bit like Z7 or Camaro ones on that shot ... you cannot really see the car very well from the shot however i am not really impressed like e.g..when I first saw the Pista or 720s leaked pictures or a bit shocked like with Senna, which I soon liked very much ... that thing just looks a bit fat around the back and not like it moved far from anything not previously seen with Ferrari ... think it will be a bit more challenging to sell if rumored price of 650-850k is true

·
Registered
767 Posts
so a hybrid version of the 458.... really?
Basically it's hybrid 488/F8... Ferrari's take on the 918 Spider, with turbos on the flat plane V8 and a more normal exhaust setup. The tech details will be interesting, i.e. if the front electric motors decouple beyond a certain speed, and how much output they choose for the gas engine. I get Ferrari's take on car interiors, but electrification of the drivetrain on a brand new model would be a great opportunity to update the screens and controls. And of course the big question is of course how much will it weigh? US curb weight of the 918 Spyder = 3600-3700 lbs, much over that and I'd say it 's a fail.

Hard to gauge price/value. On one hand it is crazy expensive compared to other supercars i.e. 720S, 488/F8, GT2RS, Performante etc. On the other, compared to the 918 Spyder, it might be a bargain. Despite being regular production, the cost will inherently limit how many are sold. At the end of the run might it almost as scarce as the 918.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
the thing is weight ... per the AMS article Ferrari again did not deliver the promised weight figures for the Pista (article says Ferraris scale seems to be off by 90kg) the car there is one with all lightweight options plus the extremely expensive aftermarket by Ferrari cf rims (which certainly save another 15-20kg) still its 1499kg while a regular 720s measured by same magazine is 1424kg ... I believe in an instant that the new car its around 1850kg, even by having 1000hp its 500hp short of a Chiron which weights 1995kg which is no high df car and it should beat all its acceleration figures considerably ? Does not really ad up in my opinion ... at 1850kg it additionally cannot be a track car but more a luxury GT in the tradition of the front engine v12s and 1990is Testarossa

21 - 40 of 135 Posts