• Lightweight Forged II

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really curious to find out which 12c wheels you all prefer.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe McLaren currently offer 4 different types of wheel.

There are the Standards, the Super Lightweight Forged, the Lightweight Forged and the Lightweight Forged II. I have included pictures below in that order.

I think I may be one of the only ones on here (judging from other posts I've read) but I really like the Lightweight Forges II's (Diamond style) myself.

I just wanted to know what everyone else thought?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
This is an interesting question. I have the lightweight forged, but I think the most beautiful (aesthetically) are the standard rims. However, I've heard from one dealer that you can "feel" the difference in performance between the lightweight and the standard, but not really feel any difference in performance between the lightweight and the super lightweight.

For some reason that sounds off. I cant imagine a few kilos making that much of a difference, actually, any difference in feel.

Has anyone used both, perhaps on the track? I'd love to know, because for aesthetic purposes, if they're pretty much even, I think I might like to get some standard rims.

·
Registered
31 Posts
LMAO "penis wheels" Never thought of them that way but you are right!!!! Never be able to look at those again with a straight face.
I think the Forged II look like a "flower power" statement and therefore do not look right on this supercar.
I have the super lightweight and like them the best visually but they are a bitch to clean. I am glad they are not silver.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
LMAO "penis wheels" Never thought of them that way but you are right!!!! Never be able to look at those again with a straight face.
I think the Forged II look like a "flower power" statement and therefore do not look right on this supercar.
I have the super lightweight and like them the best visually but they are a bitch to clean. I am glad they are not silver.
I actually thought the exact same thing about the Forge II -- hippy, flower power wheels.

What about the superlights is hard to keep clean? The spokes actually look far enough apart to easily wipe them down.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have the penis wheels also, in stealth.

Truth is, I hated them and I wish I have the super lightweight ones.

First thing I look for in wheels is something that's easy to clean, and the penis wheels is not. Takes me about 5 mins to clean one. From experience on similar looking wheels, it will takes me 2 mins tops to clean the super lightweight ones. A 60% reduction in clean time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe I just don't have the patience, but multiple different sections and ridges to clean and hard to get in-between.
But I still would rather have these.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
You're missing the ultra lightweights on the 50th anniversary edition.

By far the best looking I've seen in person is the flower lightweights, diamond cut stealth with CCB and polished silver rotors. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374943582.278975.jpg

In the flesh it looks phenomenal.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I have the penis wheels also, in stealth.

Truth is, I hated them and I wish I have the super lightweight ones.

First thing I look for in wheels is something that's easy to clean, and the penis wheels is not. Takes me about 5 mins to clean one. From experience on similar looking wheels, it will takes me 2 mins tops to clean the super lightweight ones. A 60% reduction in clean time.
Yeah same here. Straight spokes with good spacing are always best. They look good and are super easy to clean. I rarely see better wheels. Fancy designs are usually pretty meh imo.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're missing the ultra lightweights on the 50th anniversary edition.

My far the best looking I've seen in person is the flower lightweights, diamond cut stealth with CCB and polished silver rotors. View attachment 3363

In the flesh it looks phenomenal.
I'm with you on this one 6th.

I think they look great on this 12c too.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
In my opinion the standard wheels are the only ones that look designed for a McLaren. Too bad they are the heaviest. For that reason I use the SuperLights now, but still think the original design somehow look more correct.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Picture 2, Superlight wheels, or the new 50 wheels, they remove the tip of the "Penis" wheels, basically straight split spokes.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Obviously a personal preference thing... I prefer the light ones, but I'm biased:)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374948317.766971.jpg

The 50 anniversary wheels are also nice, but less original. They remind me of my old R8 wheels.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374948544.538060.jpg

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
In my opinion the standard wheels are the only ones that look designed for a McLaren. Too bad they are the heaviest. For that reason I use the SuperLights now, but still think the original design somehow look more correct.
Agreed. I have a set of stealth standards for my winters and I really like the look. Reminiscent of the F1. I can definitely feel the extra weight tho.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Agreed. I have a set of stealth standards for my winters and I really like the look. Reminiscent of the F1. I can definitely feel the extra weight tho.
Arg, I was hoping that wasn't the case. So the "feel" heavy, does it feel like it accelerates off the line more slowly, goes over turns with a bit more heft?

Honestly I'm not sure i can feel the extra weight of my girlfriend in the car or the effect of the air conditioner being turned on. She weighs maybe 115lbs soaking wet. But my guess is the weight at the tire, to get the angular momentum going at the axel is something you feel more readily.

·
Registered
424 Posts
To me, stealth color looks perennially covered by brake dust. I would guess cleaning them regularly isn't as necessary.;)

That was the whole point haha. You can't see the brake dust on a stealth wheel, makes the car looks cleaner.

On standard finish wheels, any brake dust, even a little morning drive worth, is gonna make the wheels looks extremely dirty. You pretty much have to clean the wheels at every other traffic lights in order to make them look clean.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have, and prefer the standard wheels. Not having had the lighter wheels I guess I will live in ignorance of how they feel. Can it really make difference to the average driver on the street?

They are easy to clean and have a classic look like the F1.

Mine are currently being Powder coated orange which I think will 'wake them up' LOL.

Keith.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts