McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we had a bit of UK weather Monday night. Actually 126mm deluge starting precisely at 5pm rush hour. Can't really describe it any better than this: http://www.weather.com/news/heavy-r...8?hootPostID=9282d4eb407cfaa7fb62b030f20d699e

Make sure you scroll through the pics and also the tweets below the article; you'll see a Ferrari was drowned and written off amongst the many other vehicles.

Myself, I really dodged a bullet. I left work downtown in the 12C just as the rain began. On Corsas. I made it home literally as the flash flooding began. 5 minutes later I turned on the TV and there were cars floating down my street. Around the corner from my house, a girl was swept off the road in her car, smashed through a concrete culvert and landed in an overflowing stream. She luckily made it out alive.

In those pics, you might also see the Lakeshore West completely flooded, which is where the Indycar race will be this weekend. That is the route I take home every single day, except this last Monday; reason being that we had a preview of this weather about a month ago one night when I was in my RS4 and I remembered how the road, penned in by the temporary walls for the race, had flooded, albeit much more mildly. Had I not experienced that and decided on a different route home Monday, I most certainly would have been stuck with those other cars and would have lost the Mac. Sobering.

My house is okay, only suffered a prolonged power outage. However, thousands of homes were flooded. We were really fortunate.

I can also report that the Corsas were amazing. Obviously I was driving with extreme care, but they never hydroplaned, even crossing standing water and every imaginable wet surface condition you can fathom within a single drive. I was shocked, really, at how well they did. I was waiting for any indication of incapability and I was ready to pull over and park it on high ground. But it never came.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hey, 6th.
Glad to hear everything is ok. Sounds like you really dodged a bullet, never mind the car. Scary shit.
The only thing we had to deal with was no power for a few hours which I won't complain about at all considering the hell so many others went through.

My parents are in Vaughan and they told me they got flooding in the backyard which wiped out my dad's vegetable garden but the house itself made it through un-scathed.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
So we had a bit of UK weather Monday night. Actually 126mm deluge starting precisely at 5pm rush hour. Can't really describe it any better than this: http://www.weather.com/news/heavy-r...8?hootPostID=9282d4eb407cfaa7fb62b030f20d699e

Make sure you scroll through the pics and also the tweets below the article; you'll see a Ferrari was drowned and written off amongst the many other vehicles.

Myself, I really dodged a bullet. I left work downtown in the 12C just as the rain began. On Corsas. I made it home literally as the flash flooding began. 5 minutes later I turned on the TV and there were cars floating down my street. Around the corner from my house, a girl was swept off the road in her car, smashed through a concrete culvert and landed in an overflowing stream. She luckily made it out alive.

In those pics, you might also see the Lakeshore West completely flooded, which is where the Indycar race will be this weekend. That is the route I take home every single day, except this last Monday; reason being that we had a preview of this weather about a month ago one night when I was in my RS4 and I remembered how the road, penned in by the temporary walls for the race, had flooded, albeit much more mildly. Had I not experienced that and decided on a different route home Monday, I most certainly would have been stuck with those other cars and would have lost the Mac. Sobering.

My house is okay, only suffered a prolonged power outage. However, thousands of homes were flooded. We were really fortunate.

I can also report that the Corsas were amazing. Obviously I was driving with extreme care, but they never hydroplaned, even crossing standing water and every imaginable wet surface condition you can fathom within a single drive. I was shocked, really, at how well they did. I was waiting for any indication of incapability and I was ready to pull over and park it on high ground. But it never came.
good to hear you're okay 6th... great thinking on the route home, and that's a definite thumbs up for the corsa.. i just put p zero on which might now have been the wrong idea.. !!

strange to see toronto so swamped.. i guess the central underground area completely swamped?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok 6th,i can symathise with your neighbours as I was in the same situation 6 years ago as by business was under 2 feet of water,twice in 10 days,and the home only made it by 1 inch.Scary stuff indeed,and in very heavy rain I am somewhat nervous these days!!!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Incredible amount of rain. Very scary stuff.

·
C A R B O N
345 Posts
YIKES...glad to hear everyone ok, that is the most important part !...

Wife hates power outages so we installed a standby 3 years ago, She calls it her best gift ever.

David

·
Registered
102 Posts
Glad you are okay! I've only been to Toronto once to see the Bluejays at what was SkyDome. Beautiful city. Heading to Cleveland tomorrow to watch the Bluejays beat up the Indians (hopefully).

·
Registered
159 Posts
:eek:

Wild story, glad to hear you and the 12C made it safe. Based off of your story, we're sure those Corsa's got one awesome workout as you were making your way home.

Our best wishes to you and your community's recovery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts