McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Interesting that the ford gt out-muscled the Mac. Was that a stock gt. I don't remember the stats of a stock gt. very pretty car.

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I need a fast bike. :rolleyes:

Is it just me or does anyone else not understand the attraction of this sort of rolling start drag race - it's an HP battle, nothing more. Needs no skill and means nothing for how the car performs on track or road. :eek:
That's not the point. It gives you a reference for just how well it accelerates compared to other cars. GTO had 45hp and 20tq more than the 12c, but the 12C still pulls away. A GTR seems insanely quick based on lap times, but is a dog when you smash the gas on the highway. Cars have different gearing, different weights, different engine characteristics, drivetrains, aerodynamics, etc. You can't just look at the numbers on paper and figure out exactly what will happen.

I'd say these videos are actually of more use to people than track videos in some sense. I'd put money on the idea that most owners are more often driving in straight lines, not launching, and smashing their foot on the gas than they are in windy roads that even remotely tax the cars other capabilities.

Track videos are even more useless because you have no idea what the person inside is doing or what the car feels like. You're just watching edited videos that look good and give you very little information about what you're seeing. I remember someone posting a video of the F12 on a test drive and the guy was saying how exciting and amazing it was, but it just looked like he was on a road of non-stop hairpins and it was painfully boring to watch. You couldn't tell a single thing about the car because all the other characteristics of a car can only be understood by driving and feeling them.

At least something like provides you with information you can make some sense of. If you have one of the cars or have driven in one of them, you have a frame of reference which you can easily compare to and actually take away some knowledge from what you say.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

Is it just me or does anyone else not understand the attraction of this sort of rolling start drag race - it's an HP battle, nothing more. Needs no skill and means nothing for how the car performs on track or road. :eek:
Were they still racing when the bike came by? I always thought top end on most bikes was lower than most cars. That bike went by like the roadrunner! :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

It's not just HP alone. Look at what it took, regarding the Ford GT, to beat the 12C. Extra (850-616) 234 HP.

I love my 12C when entering the freeway, have to be careful though, as 120 mph arrives very quickly. Even when doing a simple overtaking maneuver from 70 mph, the 12C just pulls and pulls and pulls. Easy to get carried away.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Sorry but I just love it the FGT beat the mac. Isn't this Chante's car??

·
Registered
367 Posts
I met a kid in WI who worked at a shop that hacked off the top and turbo'd them. He reported lots of crashes due to the traction issues. I sure wish I bought a stock example a few years back. Anti Ford bias victim :(

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes it's graphite gray/stealth/orange calipers. I'm really pleased with the subtle, sinister look. There is the occasional pang when I see orange or white 12Cs with dark wheels. I'll try to find that pic or a better one and post them on the appropriate thread.
Cheers

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a lot of experience with some pretty fast Ford GTs. I would say the updated Mac feels about as fast as a Ford GT with a pulley/tune/exhaust, but it will win in a quick roll race because you just can't beat the DCT. The Ford GT pulls really hard even with 600-650 rwhp, but that extra time it takes the human body to press a pedal and pull a shifter just can't compete with the ability to pull the paddle and rocket down the road in the MP4. To not have that brief loss of momentum, especially on a forced induction car, is easily worth 75 hp. Two different generations of cars.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm interested how the comparison will be with a fgt twin turbo. There's 7years difference between the cars and wonder how the oldie will hang in there. Of course she'll be a more handful

1 - 20 of 29 Posts