McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out how the VIN of the 12C works - if a car is 000212 does that mean it is the 212nd customer car?

Which car was the very first customer car? Which was the first car on McLarenLife and does anyone know it's VIN (pressumably it would be a very early car)?

How many prototypes/preproduction cars were there? (I heard there were around 50?) Are those cars included in the normal VINs?

Also, as there are 40 dealerships listed on the McLaren site does that mean there were perhaps 80 cars assigned to dealerships?

Sorry for all the questions, but hopefully we can figure some of them out! Thanks :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
000212 means it's the 212th "production car" (final spec. for public registration/use on public roads). ... egardless were it's headed in the world.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
000212 means it's the 212th "production car" (final spec. for public registration/use on public roads). ... egardless were it's headed in the world.
Didnt quite work out like that August,mine is 079 and 109 got his before me and 065 after i think.But that could be to do with the spec,not the date of the finished car.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Doesn't have anything to do with build date or completion date. The VINs are issued sequentially. But specs require different build times - a standard color car (white, for instance) with very few options will complete quicker than a car with Elite paint (if only for the time the paint requires). I'm pretty sure they start the process in order, though. They just seldom finish that way.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I think Roundincircles will confirm all UK cars start with a 1 and all American cars with a 2:)
When you say 'start' what position of the VIN are you referring to? All the cars, regardless of the market they are sold in should have a VIN that begins with an 'S' in position one since final assembly of the cars is in Great Britain.

For reference, here's a shot of a US VIN:

That is from McLaren Beverly Hills' Volcano Orange demonstrator. Their Volcano Red car has nearly the same VIN - it ends in '186' and the check digit in position nine is obviously different.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
When you say 'start' what position of the VIN are you referring to? All the cars, regardless of the market they are sold in should have a VIN that begins with an 'S' in position one since final assembly of the cars is in Great Britain.

For reference, here's a shot of a US VIN:

That is from McLaren Beverly Hills' Volcano Orange demonstrator. Their Volcano Red car has nearly the same VIN - it ends in '186' and the check digit in position nine is obviously different.

>8^)
ER
Built exactly 100 cars after my 079 VO car.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know of two cars delivered within a week of each other and the VINs are over 100 apart. Seems a bit confusing.

·
Registered
691 Posts
No need to be confused. See below. Also - with the delay in shipping they went through, the numbers can get even further apart for two cars handed over close to one another.

But this is really the answer I (really):

Doesn't have anything to do with build date or completion date. The VINs are issued sequentially. But specs require different build times - a standard color car (white, for instance) with very few options will complete quicker than a car with Elite paint (if only for the time the paint requires). I'm pretty sure they start the process in order, though. They just seldom finish that way.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have noticed something interesting. I have seen three 12C up close and snapped three UK VINs.

SBM11AACXCW0000**
SBM11AAC7CW0002**
SBM11AAC4CW0003**

Is there any place that explains the 12C VIN?

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
The 9th position of a VIN is a check digit. I'll be back with a more detailed explanation shortly.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The 9th position of a VIN is a check digit. I'll be back with a more detailed explanation shortly.

>8^)
ER
Just the gentleman I was hoping for! :)

The American VIN I have seen around online:

SBM11AAA3CW00017*
SBM11AAA9CW00017*
SBM11AAA9CW00018*
SBM11AAA5CW00031*

I'm going to get the 'A' refers to 'USA' or something which would make 'C' mean 'UK'?

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
While not being 12C specific, here's a link that will offer an overview of what information the VINs contain:

http://www.vehicleidentificationnumber.com/vehicle_identification_numbers_vin_detail.html

How Stuff Works has a good explanation as well:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/buying-selling/vin.htm

Here's a detailed explanation of how the check digits are calculated:

http://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/BVINcalc.htm

I used to have a link to a good online Check Digit Calculator but it is no longer coming up. :(

>8^)
ER

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I'm going to get the 'A' refers to 'USA' or something which would make 'C' mean 'UK'?
Given that section of the VIN is for identifying Vehicle Features I would tend to suspect it differentiates between LHD (A) and RHD (C), but that is only an assumption.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have heard of a car registered within the last few weeks that has a VIN which is 000** whereas other VINs are up in the 300s. They seem to be completely arbitrary.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have heard of a car registered within the last few weeks that has a VIN which is 000** whereas other VINs are up in the 300s. They seem to be completely arbitrary.
My car completed production last week with VIN 00620.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Could it have been one of the UK demonstrators finally finding an owner? The cars are not being built out of sequence - certainly not by that much anyway.

>8^)
ER

1 - 20 of 30 Posts