McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As with any car, I am sure the McLaren 12C comes with all sorts of obscure things that until you have the car in your garage and the instruction manual in your hand, you'll never know. I'm meaning odd settings and menu screens, perhaps things physically on the car and around that you might not have realised at first?

I've worked out that you can tell a car with or without Sports exhaust from looking down to the box inside the rear slats, and that the powertrain setting has a massive impact on exhaust valve control - is there any additional way to have it 'loud' without being fast?

Dare I ask it, as it's very weird, is there a way to not show the speedo on the central display/can it be somewhere more discrete?

What sort of interesting menus can you show on the left or right displays?

Any tips on using the navigation pre-the latest hardware upgrade?

Any random facts about the car that otherwise might not be obvious - I mean the things that aren't reported in every review!

Tips for looking after it? Or things you should look out for on the first few drives - for example not thumping the doors!

Many thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've worked out that you can tell a car with or without Sports exhaust from looking down to the box inside the rear slats, and that the powertrain setting has a massive impact on exhaust valve control - is there any additional way to have it 'loud' without being fast?

This also i would like to know too ... my car i bought it last month as fully loaded ... but still not sure if it has exhaust system or not !? ...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does your 12C have the front nose lift? There is a short cut to raising the nose by pushing the small left stalk up.
I don't, but that's a perfect example of the random stuff I was hoping to find out.

·
Owner
499 Posts
Does your 12C have the front nose lift? There is a short cut to raising the nose by pushing the small left stalk up.
Oh, cool. Mine has the full lift. Front and back raises up. So, just push the small stalk up instead of going through the whole menu? That will be great! Mine has sport exhaust. What am I looking for when looking through slots?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
The exhaust sound is always the same on the outside,but you can go into the menu and have the internal sound low/med/high in any of the different powertrain modes.

On the new upgrade (which it will have if its been serviced) you can now have the tyre temps,pressures up all the time.Its very handy at this time of year as the tyres need to be warmed before you fully use the power in the more aggressive settings.

They don't use much oil,but it doesn't have an oil warning light,so it best to check occasionally,but NEVER put more than a cup full in at a time,they have a very small reservoir.When putting the cap back on,DOUBLE CHECK its on properly they can blow off if they are not seated correctly.

Check where you need to put the key if you are locked out (not so easy in the dark if you don't know where it is) Its under a panel behind the door under the strake.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I think it's in the manual, but you can have the cruise control system LIMIT your top speed. So no matter what you do you won't go over x, speed. A good way to keep yourself from going to fast. I don't remember the exact combo on the cruise control stalk as I never use cruise or the speed limiting feature, but I thought it was a cool and useful touch.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Does anyone know if you can retrofit the tyre temp monitors to a 2012 year car?
Good point.if he car didn't come with the tpms system,then you would have to check if just the sensors are needed,as it would probably be too much trouble to not have the system already in the software somewhere,unless there is extra hardware needed inside the car ??????????

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Powertrain setting does not affect exhaust db, 12C's have no exhaust valves.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They don't use much oil,but it doesn't have an oil warning light,so it best to check occasionally,but NEVER put more than a cup full in at a time,they have a very small reservoir.When putting the cap back on,DOUBLE CHECK its on properly they can blow off if they are not seated correctly.
Coming from an oil guzzling V10, this was less obvious than it might seem, thanks for mentioning.

For 2012 cars you can lock with a swipe just behind the door in front of the turning vane.
I saw that, very fun.

Powertrain setting does not affect exhaust db, 12C's have no exhaust valves.
Ok, I completely must have misunderstood that! So with Sports exhaust, there is nothing that alters the amount of sound it makes? (Other than how far up the rev range you go)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Does anyone know if you can retrofit the tyre temp monitors to a 2012 year car?
Not sure I understand. I have a 2012 and it displays the tire temperatures in the left-hand screen. It does have the latest software circa Sept. 2013 though. I don't think those are actual measured temps though. I suspect that they are calculated/imputed temperatures like on the '458. I would doubt that any car actually has direct measurement of the tire temps, although it would not be hard to do if you designed it in from the start.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Ok, I completely must have misunderstood that! So with Sports exhaust, there is nothing that alters the amount of sound it makes? (Other than how far up the rev range you go)
There is the "Intake Sound Generator" that you can configure to control the level of engine sound piped in to the cabin. When I went for a ride / drive in a 12c a few weeks ago it did seem like the engine got a bit louder, but I think the ISG kicks up the volume as you go from Normal to Sport and Track. It is configurable, and there is a bit more info here:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/2179-living-isg.html

-Jamie.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is the "Intake Sound Generator" that you can configure to control the level of engine sound piped in to the cabin. When I went for a ride / drive in a 12c a few weeks ago it did seem like the engine got a bit louder, but I think the ISG kicks up the volume as you go from Normal to Sport and Track. It is configurable, and there is a bit more info here:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/2179-living-isg.html

-Jamie.
This all starts to make significantly more sense. Those of us at the back are slowly catching up...

Thanks!

·
Registered
715 Posts
For 2012 cars you can lock with a swipe just behind the door in front of the turning vane.
That works on button cars as well.

And I was told that the TPMS is actually a TP+TMS. The sensors are sending pressures and actual temps as recorded inside the tire.

Also I find the "double tap on the open button on the fob" which unlatches the passenger door is a cool feature. As well as holding the same button unlatches the drivers door. Helpful in the rain with those not familiar with the car.

There are probably a couple of Easter eggs in the software as well.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A single unlatchedsq driver and a double does the passenger? So you can do both while walking to the car?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
A single unlatchedsq driver and a double does the passenger? So you can do both while walking to the car?
I have a swipe car, but just use the fob. Fob can be used to open both doors.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts