McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Its a tangled web Boxer :D
Only kidding, had mine in for a couple of weeks,and not been a tech head I couldn't tell you all the features yet,but its a massive change,more than just a step ahead.Doris has been put to rest !!
All the opinions on the promises aside its worth it in the long run ..........

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
My Iris screen keeps freezing which, if on a motorway, leads to blissful progress followed by many expletives after realising the turn off was an hour or so behind the rear screen!

I will get Daughter of Iris for her supposed reliability.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've seen it, personally I don't think it's worth the 3+k for an upgrade. But I only use it to plug in my iPhone for music. Maybe I'll wait til version "3.0"

·
Registered
631 Posts
I just had my Spider serviced and the IRIS upgrade performed. I honestly think that it's a worthwhile upgrade..this is the system that should have been installed in our cars all along. I don't even know why they even bothered with the old IRIS in the first place. That's just my opinion though. :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had the IRIS upgrade as well. While it's not perfect, it's much improved and is now a system where it can proudly wear the Mclaren logo.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Not really having a clue about this sort of stuff,but I do find the cursor an excellent idea,if you know roughly where you want to go,you zoom out to the country you want,zoom in to the doorstep if you know it and press start.I got quite excited when I could do this to friends homes around the planet ,what a saddo I am :)

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Not really having a clue about this sort of stuff,but I do find the cursor an excellent idea,if you know roughly where you want to go,you zoom out to the country you want,zoom in to the doorstep if you know it and press start.I got quite excited when I could do this to friends homes around the planet ,what a saddo I am :)
what time are we expecting you?:D

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
I couldn't believe how much better the revised system works. It's so much quicker and takes so much less "poking" than the previous one (meaning less finger pressure).

However - if you don't use navigation then I'm not certain the upgrade changes the rest of the system enough to make it worth the money. But the nav is infintely better. I'd like to play around with one and get some apps to see if they offer anything that's actually useful.

Being able to stream audio via bluetooth, without having to plug in, is nice.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I couldn't believe how much better the revised system works. It's so much quicker and takes so much less "poking" than the previous one (meaning less finger pressure).

However - if you don't use navigation then I'm not certain the upgrade changes the rest of the system enough to make it worth the money. But the nav is infintely better. I'd like to play around with one and get some apps to see if they offer anything that's actually useful.

Being able to stream audio via bluetooth, without having to plug in, is nice.
Agreed that it really comes down to which features you use and how often, and how much $3,500 is to you. I don't think the resale point is a valid one. There are not very many used ones out there (relative to other cars), and I think it's going to be a rare occasion when two nearly identically spec'd cars are on offer and it would make a difference to have the upgraded IRIS. If you trade the car in to a dealer, I don't think they're going to give you any more with the upgrade. If you private sell it, maybe you'll get some back, but not much.

I'm still on the fence, but leaning towards keeping the $3,500 and allocating it to the performance upgrade that I'm hoping will be available in 2014 to bring all cars up to whatever the spec. is on 2015 or GT3 version. I have no data, but suspect that may require hardware changes, so it's likely going to be a fair bit more than $3,500.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
You mean Oct 2012?
No OCT 2013,i could be out a few weeks and it could have been September,but as far as I am aware july and early august cars had the old system.I would be pleased to be proved wrong though :)
We are talking about Iris 2,not the first attempt ..........

·
Owner
57 Posts
No OCT 2013,i could be out a few weeks and it could have been September,but as far as I am aware july and early august cars had the old system.I would be pleased to be proved wrong though :)
We are talking about Iris 2,not the first attempt ..........
Need to check my build date even though i think i have the upgraded one.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Need to check my build date even though i think i have the upgraded one.
Don't worry Eitan,yours is a 2014 spider,its the New Iris :) Post a picture if your not sure,the 4 buttons are different for the orininal,top left hand side is a back button on the new one :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts