McLaren Life banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have all complained at length, rightfully so, about the initial magazine reviews of the 12C coupe. Been thinking about a spider and was curious about its reception.

Every review of any sort that I have found regarding the spider seems to lavish praise on it and recognize it's uniqueness and how it is simply the first of its kind ever to take the top off with no penalty in stiffness and almost none in weight. It is simply the best spider ever made at this point by anyone and all seem to recognize this so far.

Don't know the role of McLaren marketing in all of this but we should all be pleased to see this after suffering through many of less than satisfactory reviews of the coupe.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Don't be fooled. The first drives (Spain) and isolated reviews of the coupe were all lofty praise, too. The bar has been raised, the future is here and and all that. The negativity only started once direct comparisons were made to 458 press cars that were magically faster than the original 458 press cars. Like a lot faster. You haven't seen any direct 12C Spider vs 458 spider reviews b/c one or both of the manufacturers are ducking the comparison.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yup. I bet Ferrari knows that no amount of tuning its NA engine can overcome more boost. After all, the P1 version already makes over 700 hp. So now that sending ringers to the mags is fair game, Ferrari is likely going to rely on the "passion" and "drama" it can deliver to valets rather than face objective test gear.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Whatever power/weight advantage the 12C coupe has over the 458 coupe is nothing compared to what the spider has over the 458 spider. Any 12C Spider will decimate a customer 458 spider. Especially if the road isn't straight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have read it twice now. First, surprised they would make two glaring errors. Wish the 12C had 600 ft lbs of torque as they state but think 443 is more like it, which is still significantly higher than the 458. Second, they state the weights as being essentially the same and they are not. At least 200 lbs difference, Mac's favor.

Essentially every facet of comparison between the two gave the nod to the Mac in a reasonably complimentary way. I would guess the Ferrari folks especially didn't enjoy the comment that in a head to head contest on a road course that the 12C was so much quicker it would run the 458 off into the weeds, or something like that. A bar chart at the end of the article shows the Mac ahead on every category.

As expected, in the end, the drama and the exhaust sound associated with the 458 was pulled out to carry the day for Ferrari as to which car he would buy. Also, said the throttle response was a bit quicker and came up with one of his clever one liners along the line of "you drive the Ferrari and pilot the Mac" He did emphasize it was razor thin close between the two and that personal preferences would determine which car any particular individual would choose.

Well the Ferrari is louder and if you want loud by all means buy the Ferrari. Every time I hear this argument I keep getting this image in my mind of a small, pretty yapping dog making a great racket and running around in circles right next to a big German Shepard who's thinking "you keep that up and I'm gonna step on you! The 458 has been stepped on quite a bit lately in the various head to head videos we have been seeing.

So, unlike that ridiculous thing that those dopey guys on 5th Gear did, I think the review was fair and reasonably accurate, except as noted above. If you are really into "look at me" and "drama" and screeching through your neighborhood then the Ferrari is for you. If you are into having the satisfaction that you are driving the higher performing car, track or drag strip, with the most advanced, next generation technology, that you can drive comfortably every day without your neighbors knowing every time you jump out for a Starbuck's run then the Mac is for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts