McLaren Life banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thrilled that my Spider has arrived. McLaren Greenwich was awesome to work with and car was impeccably prepped. Only 45 of my own miles on it, all smiles. Unfortunately, Memorial Day Weekend in CT looks like all rain. Traded a 458 coupe and have no intention of looking back. I look forward to posting some meaningful comments over the coming weeks. I have gained a lot from this Board, thanks to all.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Congrats! And, very scenic garage. :cool: Greenwich mclaren guys are indeed great.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I think that body colour works very well. Better than well. You should know other forum members regret not getting Volcano Red.........

Get it wrapped, front, bonnet, wings, turning vanes including leading edges plus door lowers if you have not done so. The paint chips if you stare or smile at it, it is very soft.

·
C A R B O N
344 Posts
Looks awesome Mike. I hope the weather improves and you can enjoy the fruits of all of your hard work !

..Drive it like yo stole it! as my wife would say 1

David

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
RIC,
Why haven't they changed their paint formulation if that is so ??
:)

Basically it is a function of non-baked water based paints. EU legislation forced water based paints to displace polluting hard chemical based paints. Not sure why they do not bake.

I was informed all the colours are soft and wrapping is essential unless you have Dooms budget and respray now and then:eek::eek::eek:

·
Owner
893 Posts
Basically it is a function of non-baked water based paints. EU legislation forced water based paints to displace polluting hard chemical based paints. Not sure why they do not bake.

I was informed all the colours are soft and wrapping is essential unless you have Dooms budget and respray now and then:eek::eek::eek:
If the EU mandates that .... Then you just know ... old PC America must have done it also. I've not heard much complaining about U.S. manufactured cars being extremely chip prone. I wonder if there is a difference ??:confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone. Car is partially wrapped- bumper, front fenders, hood, rockers and vanes. The rest I will chance, gotta drive and not worry too much. I don't know much about paint formulation, would imagine US would not differ much from EU. Anyone coming thru CT, stop by. EU and US can't change the formulation of beer.

·
Owner
893 Posts
MikeSCT,
Chips = Battle Scars
Like you, I'll wing it without a total plastic coat because (to me) it never looks as good as the naked paint ...... But try to be careful and not follow anyone too closely. :)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
If the EU mandates that .... Then you just know ... old PC America must have done it also. I've not heard much complaining about U.S. manufactured cars being extremely chip prone. I wonder if there is a difference ??:confused:
All the volume car factories I Have visited have a heat/bake paint process. It is the baking that hardens the lacquer from memory but by their nature water based paints are softer than urethane and other synthetics.

Just to put volume in perspective there is a factory in Canada, that was featured on Megafactory , that produces 70 cars per hour 24/7............imagine the logistics and engineering, can't afford a design or build fault that goes to warranty!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
No, that is almost too good to be true.

Might get some for my motorcycle.

On the other hand Asteroid strike are rare in these parts.........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts