McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had the McLaren 12C Spider for a bit over a month now. So far the McLaren has meet the lofty expectations we had for it and turned out to be even more usable than expected. In terms of driving, the 12C Spider is both impressively quick and very well mannered. Performance is staggering but it is delivered in more of a classic understated British way than its Italian competitors. It is an easy car to go very very fast in and it corners incredibly well. Getting comfortable with how much speed you can take into a corner requires a bit of adjustment and I found took several days. It is a plus 10 car i.e. twisty stuff can all be taken 10 mph faster than you would in other similar type cars. The aero works and brake steer while taking a bit of getting used to does work extremely well. The sight lines are very good and it is an easy car to place on the road although the two rear buttressed take a bit of time to get used to. The seating position is excellent and adjustable in every direction imaginable. The steering wheel is simple and the paddles well weighted. You can use either paddle to change both up and down but it easier and more intuitive to go up on the right and down on the left. I personally found the gearbox almost too smooth in “normal” but set it to “track” and it sorts out well. The suspension also transforms dramatically as you move from “normal” to “track”. The 12C moves from being the polished gentleman on one group of settings to the aggressive hard core track machine on another. As a result it is a car that we can both live with and enjoy. Turbo lag is effectively non-existent and if you did not know it had twin turbos, you would assume it was naturally aspirated. Sound track from the V8 is more low down grunt than spine tingling scream. The Spider roof is pure brilliance. It takes about 15-20 seconds to go up or down and can be done while moving at low speed. When up it is as good as a coupe roof but with the added benefit that you can drop the rear window. Especially in the rain, this is a great option. In terms of usability, it is the first true go anywhere in just about any weather supercar we have owned. Bad London traffic was handled with ease, rain is a non-issue, and other than ground clearance I am fairly certain even snow would be handled well. While we are not using it as an everyday car per say during the week, it is the main mode of transport all weekend long. Even luggage space is fairly decent for a mid-engine supercar.
About the only real negative is Iris, with the roof down the screen is difficult to read and programing the sat nav is a bit of a pain. On other supercars, I don’t have any of these accessories and don’t miss them. However because the 12C Spider has them, you tend to use them and it can be a bit frustrating. One other feature I would change is for the front nose lift, instead of having to scroll through menus on the dash to activate it; a simple toggle switch on the centre consul would be much more convenient.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lift

For the front lift, push the stalk upwards and hold for about 10 seconds, you will get a beep and it is in lift mode. Release at the beep, push up once more and up you go . No scrolling. Had my Spider for a month, love it. Don't miss my 458 at all.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You sum it all very well! Enjoyed your post.:)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
We have had the McLaren 12C Spider for a bit over a month now. So far the McLaren has meet the lofty expectations we had for it and turned out to be even more usable than expected. In terms of driving, the 12C Spider is both impressively quick and very well mannered. Performance is staggering but it is delivered in more of a classic understated British way than its Italian competitors. It is an easy car to go very very fast in and it corners incredibly well. Getting comfortable with how much speed you can take into a corner requires a bit of adjustment and I found took several days. It is a plus 10 car i.e. twisty stuff can all be taken 10 mph faster than you would in other similar type cars. The aero works and brake steer while taking a bit of getting used to does work extremely well. The sight lines are very good and it is an easy car to place on the road although the two rear buttressed take a bit of time to get used to. The seating position is excellent and adjustable in every direction imaginable. The steering wheel is simple and the paddles well weighted. You can use either paddle to change both up and down but it easier and more intuitive to go up on the right and down on the left. I personally found the gearbox almost too smooth in “normal” but set it to “track” and it sorts out well. The suspension also transforms dramatically as you move from “normal” to “track”. The 12C moves from being the polished gentleman on one group of settings to the aggressive hard core track machine on another. As a result it is a car that we can both live with and enjoy. Turbo lag is effectively non-existent and if you did not know it had twin turbos, you would assume it was naturally aspirated. Sound track from the V8 is more low down grunt than spine tingling scream. The Spider roof is pure brilliance. It takes about 15-20 seconds to go up or down and can be done while moving at low speed. When up it is as good as a coupe roof but with the added benefit that you can drop the rear window. Especially in the rain, this is a great option. In terms of usability, it is the first true go anywhere in just about any weather supercar we have owned. Bad London traffic was handled with ease, rain is a non-issue, and other than ground clearance I am fairly certain even snow would be handled well. While we are not using it as an everyday car per say during the week, it is the main mode of transport all weekend long. Even luggage space is fairly decent for a mid-engine supercar.
About the only real negative is Iris, with the roof down the screen is difficult to read and programing the sat nav is a bit of a pain. On other supercars, I don’t have any of these accessories and don’t miss them. However because the 12C Spider has them, you tend to use them and it can be a bit frustrating. One other feature I would change is for the front nose lift, instead of having to scroll through menus on the dash to activate it; a simple toggle switch on the centre consul would be much more convenient.
Boxer must say its always a pleasure to have read something thats truly uplifting and positive, thats what we need to hear more of. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks for the review. It's nice to know how the car stacks up in your stellar garage.
The nose lift raises the rear too, though less than the front, at least on a coupe. The super low front air dams are the common victims I guess. Agree it is slow to accept input AND slow to raise, limiting usefulness and convenience. The tech told me the slow motions are for safety. It had apparently dropped on some ankles, after parking, and also raised into obstacles. (Sounds far fetched to me...)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Looking forward to your review in the British Magazines,i:m sure that the respect you get from the readers will dispel some of the old opinions the car has had from the first reviews.
Looks like your hooked :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
For the front lift, push the stalk upwards and hold for about 10 seconds, you will get a beep and it is in lift mode. Release at the beep, push up once more and up you go . No scrolling. Had my Spider for a month, love it. Don't miss my 458 at all.
My stalk only needs to be pushed up for a second to be ready to work the lifter.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Whether v11 or earlier, I think it depends what menu you're starting from. Eyes on road, holding lower left stalk up until beep, then up click again once is best IMO. Most of the lift occurs early, per an outside observer. The late part might just be pressure changes, or the rear lift, so I don't wait for it to complete the cycle before driving on.

·
Administrator
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whether v11 or earlier, I think it depends what menu you're starting from. Eyes on road, holding lower left stalk up until beep, then up click again once is best IMO. Most of the lift occurs early, per an outside observer. The late part might just be pressure changes, or the rear lift, so I don't wait for it to complete the cycle before driving on.
My stalk only needs to be pushed up for a second to be ready to work the lifter.
Tried it today and it worked well. Thanks for the tip.

Also took the 12C Spider to an open house at a local independent dealership and got a huge number of positive comments...........and it was a mostly hard core Ferrari crowd.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Great write up!

The few things I don't like about my Mac can be fixed with MSO parts even though the plastic arms to the cf mirror was not well though out - just happy I have black :)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Great write up!

The few things I don't like about my Mac can be fixed with MSO parts even though the plastic arms to the cf mirror was not well though out - just happy I have black :)
I have no gripes over the plastic arms, I actually like them. I would have ordered them in the CF but they do not match the exact details that are currently on the plastic ones you seem to dislike so much. Cheers.....??

·
Administrator
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
12C Spider was brilliant yesterday and toasted by the entire family. Got home with 10 minutes to spare to get to the butchers to pick up steaks for dinner. All the DDs had disappeared with other members of the household and the butchers is a 7 minutes drive away. While I did have multiple options on cars to take, all but the McLaren would require at least 10 minutes to get warmed up etc (XJR-15 is just not designed for the grocery run). Hopped in the 12C Spider and managed to get there with just minutes to spare. Due to the McLaren's everyday usability, we all eat well last night.

·
Registered
477 Posts
12C Spider was brilliant yesterday and toasted by the entire family. Got home with 10 minutes to spare to get to the butchers to pick up steaks for dinner. All the DDs had disappeared with other members of the household and the butchers is a 7 minutes drive away. While I did have multiple options on cars to take, all but the McLaren would require at least 10 minutes to get warmed up etc (XJR-15 is just not designed for the grocery run). Hopped in the 12C Spider and managed to get there with just minutes to spare. Due to the McLaren's everyday usability, we all eat well last night.
WELL DONE WITH CHIPS PLEASE & a beer !!!! :D:D:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts