McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

My alternative title was "how a dork sits into a 12C" and as such, this is labelled as comedy. :)

The dealer taught me to get into the 12C by turning your back to the seat, and plopping in butt first, then turning your legs in. Getting out is much the same, in reverse, and was advised to hold on to the tub/frame. I think it's a nice conservative approach.

I've changed getting in to my "sneak in" method, where you just step a foot in, not hold on to anything, and side slip your butt into the seat, and yank your other leg in after you. I think it's quicker.

Getting out, I haven't figured out how to do it substantially quicker. However, I find that bracing your hand at the seat (instead of the tub/frame), lets you get a good push off, which moves you out of the car faster.

I'm betting you guys have found cooler ways to get in/out; would love to see what you guys have come up with. Maybe moonwalking into the seat? James Brown split and bounce back into the seat? :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, I found this video showing off a black/brown interior. I forget what thread the topic came up in, but we saw a brown/black interior as "unfortunate" and speculated it might not be as bad in person.

In this video, It really comes off much better than in the photos of the other thread. As always, I think these things are better decided in person rather than in photos. Videos, I find, do help a touch more.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I do not seem to have any issues/problems getting in or out of this magnificent car, my method for getting in is head first which is achieved by placing my right hand on the centre console / armrest followed by my legs. As for getting out, I can't really describe it but as mention its not a problem. Hey for all you know maybe I'll produce a video of me getting in and out or not, just because I wouldn't want my butt being video taped getting into my putt-putt LOL. Cheers.....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Extreme. I have the physique of a walrus hulaing! I probably should make another one of my girlfriend, be a much more graceful/pretty display. Anyway, it would be cool to see how you do it. Both sound pretty interesting.

Maybe we could convince atomic to use his models and then vote on the best techniques. :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I use your "sneak in" method exclusively. Except I try really hard to not drag my foot on anything. ;)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use your "sneak in" method exclusively. Except I try really hard to not drag my foot on anything. ;)
Mark, you're undoubtedly more graceful and successful at it than I am. That said, I keep adjusting the steering wheel and think I set the height a little too low. Plus, it's weird when you concentrate on something you normally don't think about, it makes it more awkward. Like thinking about how you walk, while you're walking. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hmm the 'sneak in' method is just like getting into any other normal car? That's how I get in mine and how I get in my Turbo S. I stick my left foot out the door first, then right hand on the steering wheel and left hand on the seat/tub then push off, left foot touch the ground while my body straighten up and out the car.

The 'butt first rotate second' method is how my wife told me she would get in when she wears a skirt. As for getting out, she would open the door and wait for me to walk over and then she rotates and stick her hands out for me to pull her up.

The McLaren is a lot more accessible than the SLS. In that I would start by banging my head on the door, then duck, then get in, then get up a little to grab door handle, then sit down while closing the door. I would also use the bang my head then duck method for getting out of that car. Works every time.

·
Smitten
285 Posts
Only a McLaren forum would have a thread about procedures to enter/exit a vehicle. I revel in the brand geekiness on display and am now inspired to faff about at home trying to shave a few hundredths of John's time. :)

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
When in Rome ...

Entry - bottom down turn in with one hand on the door initiate closing slide both feet in and close door while entering.

Exit - open door partially rotate the feet up over and out with one hand on the carbon to push up grabbing the door before fully raised and close the door.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction :) ... or too much hot yoga back in the day.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doug, I'm going to give that a try. I would have thought that grabbing at the door would yank it down at you.

Whoop. So your exit, you have both the tub and wheel. I take it the wheel doesn't move when you're pushing off?

More diversity on this than I would have thought!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Doug, I'm going to give that a try. I would have thought that grabbing at the door would yank it down at you.

Whoop. So your exit, you have both the tub and wheel. I take it the wheel doesn't move when you're pushing off?

Its the best way John,been doing it this way for over two years,plus it looks extra cool as the door is closing with the action of your body entering and just slams shut as your feet disappear :cool: It does help if your a short arse (vertically challenged) ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Its the best way John,been doing it this way for over two years,plus it looks extra cool as the door is closing with the action of your body entering and just slams shut as your feet disappear :cool: It does help if your a short arse (vertically challenged) ;)
It is the best way indeed. My twist to the trick is to twist (pun intended) your body once you put your foot in as if you are looking behind you and use the door handles as added support. More of a three step move, right foot in, twist upper body counter clock wise and slide butt in. My exit is the same as John's but also using the door handles for extra support.

The only challenge I have found is to get fat (overweight) ppl into the car. I tried hauling a couple of friends but just couldn't get them in. The 1 foot in technique wouldn't work as there was alot of mass that needed to be limboed during the brief moment prior to the slide in, so the only viable alternative I could find was to do as per the original method John was shown by the dealer. However, in my friend's case that didnt even work because the door frame is too small for his body to fit whilst sitting on the tub. Would be interesting to see if someone here has figured this out. Ill worry about trying to get them out later.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
It is the best way indeed. My twist to the trick is to twist (pun intended) your body once you put your foot in as if you are looking behind you and use the door handles as added support. More of a three step move, right foot in, twist upper body counter clock wise and slide butt in. My exit is the same as John's but also using the door handles for extra support.

The only challenge I have found is to get fat (overweight) ppl into the car. I tried hauling a couple of friends but just couldn't get them in. The 1 foot in technique wouldn't work as there was alot of mass that needed to be limboed during the brief moment prior to the slide in, so the only viable alternative I could find was to do as per the original method John was shown by the dealer. However, in my friend's case that didnt even work because the door frame is too small for his body to fit whilst sitting on the tub. Would be interesting to see if someone here has figured this out. Ill worry about trying to get them out later.
Have you tried Duck Fat ??? What you have left makes great roasties :D

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks Andy, think I misunderstood. Thought Doug was bracing the tub and holding the door on exit. But sounds like that's on entry.

I'm going to try both. I think I get what you guys mean; although, DXB, not sure I follow on your twist. You guys should post up a videos! :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I do not seem to have any issues/problems getting in or out of this magnificent car, my method for getting in is head first which is achieved by placing my right hand on the centre console / armrest followed by my legs. As for getting out, I can't really describe it but as mention its not a problem. Hey for all you know maybe I'll produce a video of me getting in and out or not, just because I wouldn't want my butt being video taped getting into my putt-putt LOL. Cheers.....
I remember almost leaving a bit of scalp and hair stuck to the bottom corner of your door when I got into your car. I'll have to take greater care next time as I seem to get a little bit too excited around McLaren's.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts

I was asked by a rather large person for a ride who happened to be a good tenant.

He took one look and said there is no way - I said with a grin there's a snickers in the glove compartment and he literally flopped his butt on the carbon and swung around for entry. He looked like a beached whale for a good amount of time.

The entire ride I kept thinking how the frick am I going to Free Willy ... this is going to be one of those awkward moments.

Pulled really close to a curb that acted like a step. Jokingly grabbed him and yanked with everything I had and hoped for the best - it wasn't pretty.

Texted an employee to join us and then made up an excise to leave the lunch early.

He was happy we have a strict guideline for hiring

·
Registered
424 Posts

The wheel doesn't move, right hand holding on to 9'oclock and the force is from 9o'clock to 3o'clock. The primary push off is from the right leg, the right hand pushing off the wheel is for the body rotation, the left hand push off is for the final exit as the right leg would be in mid air once the left leg is on solid ground.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You guys are too funny. Btw.. As a Pain Management Physician, I would like to point out that you guys are setting yourself up for back pain with all the twisting motion and that I will gladly help a brother out if you need my professional services!;)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys are too funny. Btw.. As a Pain Management Physician, I would like to point out that you guys are setting yourself up for back pain with all the twisting motion and that I will gladly help a brother out if you need my professional services!;)
Ritesh, can you provide "spine friendly" methods?

I'm thinking Vincent is pointing out a big advantage of the spider! The Bo & Luke Duke method would be an American Ninja Warrior feat into the coupe! :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts