McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as many of us hoped the first episode of the new series of Top Gear would feature the 12C, it appears we have to wait a week.

The episode also features the guys lapping the Monaco F1 circuit in little hot-hatches.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
As much as many of us hoped the first episode of the new series of Top Gear would feature the 12C, it appears we have to wait a week.

The episode also features the guys lapping the Monaco F1 circuit in little hot-hatches.
Bah, who cares now. JC will pan it, as I'm sure will Jason & Tiff and the rest of the British media. Hopefully the power board time will come through, at least, so there is something to look fwd to.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Damn, like most, I was hoping that we would eventually get a real Dunsfold time.

Also hoped someone would spill the beans pre transmission, as it’s recorded on a Wednesday prior to a Sunday screening and would expect someone in the audience to break ranks and give us the outcome.

Roll on next Wednesday

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Damn, like most, I was hoping that we would eventually get a real Dunsfold time.

Also hoped someone would spill the beans pre transmission, as it’s recorded on a Wednesday prior to a Sunday screening and would expect someone in the audience to break ranks and give us the outcome.

Roll on next Wednesday
Well there is the McLaren technician on Twitter who did say the 12C "comfortably beat" the heavily modified 458 (his words), however he was not at liberty to provide the lap times. Still wondering if they will bother with posting a new 458 time as that would seem non-standard practice. In any case, have low hopes for subjective measures as JC's persona is Ferrari addict and fits perfectly with typical British "build it up, to tear it down" media practices. Plus, his "stockings" analogy and verdict has already been published in TG mag. Ron's nightmare continues, seems somewhat personal to me, at times.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Actually, I am happy about the delay since I have the tickets for the next taping (6/29). I hope it will be this episode ;). That would be great.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well there is the McLaren technician on Twitter who did say the 12C "comfortably beat" the heavily modified 458 (his words), however he was not at liberty to provide the lap times. Still wondering if they will bother with posting a new 458 time as that would seem non-standard practice. In any case, have low hopes for subjective measures as JC's persona is Ferrari addict and fits perfectly with typical British "build it up, to tear it down" media practices. Plus, his "stockings" analogy and verdict has already been published in TG mag. Ron's nightmare continues, seems somewhat personal to me, at times.
What is the mclaren tech twitter account?

·
Registered
359 Posts
It seems that paranoia is starting to set in. :(

Clarkson will say anything to get a laugh or to be controversial, his view can change from week to week if it fits with a joke - that is why TG is watched by so many that don't view other motoring programs, but please don't lump the rest of the UK motoring press with some biased agenda. If they think the MP4 is best that is what they will write. If McLaren re-supply a fully fit car then that might just be what they do write!

On your snipe about heavily modified, there are now some more stories about the options on the Ferrari and it's actual weight starting to circulate. Seems like there might be some humble pie needed from those pointing the finger.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Streetfire.net usually posts episodes the day after airing, or even just a few hours later.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It seems that paranoia is starting to set in. :(

Clarkson will say anything to get a laugh or to be controversial, his view can change from week to week if it fits with a joke - that is why TG is watched by so many that don't view other motoring programs, but please don't lump the rest of the UK motoring press with some biased agenda. If they think the MP4 is best that is what they will write. If McLaren re-supply a fully fit car then that might just be what they do write!

On your snipe about heavily modified, there are now some more stories about the options on the Ferrari and it's actual weight starting to circulate. Seems like there might be some humble pie needed from those pointing the finger.
Such as? So far I ve heard titanium driveshaft & separate bank ecus (from challenge car) and also lighter exhaust, seats, wheels and better/lighter tires.
The thing is that this 458 is definately quicker than the one mclaren had in their possession (they are not suicidal to claim all this etc etc) and the question is why? Is it a strictly speaking a "stock car" with all optimum options or some thing else is going on?
The difference is too big for the former unless mclaren was testing the 458 on work out PS2s or so other similarly average tire and no lightweight options whatsoever. In which case this will go down as one of the biggest miscalculations in manufacturing history lol!
MP4 still obliterates the 458 on a straightline though which makes all these lap times really weird..

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 2011 model year 458 has revised software for both the magneride suspension and the E diff to improve cornering which McLaren's earlier car won't have had. The new Michelin SuperSport tyre option also wasn't available on the early cars and cuts 0.6 seconds a lap around Fiorano I was told. McLaren know just how much time a good tyre is worth I think ;)

It amuses me that people think Ferrari was meant to stand still with the 458 and not continually incorporate upgrades to their car.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Speaking of which, I'm very curious to see how much firmware and software can be updated through the IRIS system as time progresses. New fuel maps and such should be easy for McLaren to provide as time goes on and they collect more customer data.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The 2011 model year 458 has revised software for both the magneride suspension and the E diff to improve cornering which McLaren's earlier car won't have had. The new Michelin SuperSport tyre option also wasn't available on the early cars and cuts 0.6 seconds a lap around Fiorano I was told. McLaren know just how much time a good tyre is worth I think ;)

It amuses me that people think Ferrari was meant to stand still with the 458 and not continually incorporate upgrades to their car.
Sure, but, you know a bit of software here and there better tires and Italia runs faster than gt2 and Gumpert on semi-slicks. Next target for software update: Atom V8.

·
Registered
54 Posts
And when they are done with that they should continue and fix the ugly sharp lines and the funny artificial surfaces in various places.....
You mean the plagiarised mish mash of 1980's strakes over the tail lights (Testarossa), large full height side air scoops in front of the rear wheels (Gallardo) 2003 and the wide eyed gormless face from 1999 (360) on the MP4? ;) :D

Seriously, styling is purely subjective and not worthy of discussion as we all have different tastes thankfully.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Seriously, styling is purely subjective and not worthy of discussion as we all have different tastes thankfully.
Whilst styling is indeed largely subjective there are things that go beyond that.

Chris Bangle set a disturbing example with some BMWs and rather than the others ignoring those hideous creations far too many manufacturers have followed.

These days it seems new car designs are full of ugly artificial creases and convex and concave nonsense.

That funny stuff on the doors the creases you see when viewing the car from the top etc.

When I honestly thought things could not possibly get any worse than the Italia, Ferrari outdid themselves the FF. Hideous qualifies as a profound understatement.

Having said all that I liked the 430. Had Ferrari put 458 technology in a 430 like body or a careful evolution of it, now THAT would have been GREAT.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Whilst styling is indeed largely subjective there are things that go beyond that.

Chris Bangle set a disturbing example with some BMWs and rather than the others ignoring those hideous creations far too many manufacturers have followed.

These days it seems new car designs are full of ugly artificial creases and convex and concave nonsense.

That funny stuff on the doors the creases you see when viewing the car from the top etc.

When I honestly thought things could not possibly get any worse than the Italia, Ferrari outdid themselves the FF. Hideous qualifies as a profound understatement.

Having said all that I liked the 430. Had Ferrari put 458 technology in a 430 like body or a careful evolution of it, now THAT would have been GREAT.
I agree. Would have loved to see a nice evolution of the 430's style, especially the front. The California is an outright visual disaster, as is the FF. I pray that McLaren never makes cars as hideous as those!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
What is the mclaren tech twitter account?
This is going to sound really sketchy, but the account has disappeared. It used to be: http://twitter.com/McLarenF1Tech

He mentioned that at the official TG shoot, the 12C was comfortably faster than the 458, which he believed to be highly modified with bigger brakes, more RPM and I forget what else.

Now his Twitter account is completely gone. Well, you can still see a cached remnant if you google "mclarenf1tech twitter". Maybe he got in trouble for leaking info (or speculating about the Ferrari) and had to shut it down.

1 - 20 of 276 Posts