McLaren Life banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Very cool. My only comment is with regards to the dual clutch box. Admittedly, the Pre-Cog system is a more complex box than most other examples, perhaps to its detriment with reviewers and first time drivers. I have yet to hear of anybody that mastered it during their first drive; myself, only after owning the car a couple of weeks did I feel I was getting the best from it. Also, the box itself will not give you shifts if, for example, it senses that the engine will overspeed. Not sure if this was the cause of your "missed shifts", but undoubtedly the nuance can be frustrating. Lastly, shifts are definitely executed faster at larger throttle openings - when the car is being driven in any kind of a non-sporty fashion, things are lazy and slushy. All of that said, I have never experienced a gearshift in any car previous that is as sublime as a wide open throttle, properly Pre-Cog actuated upshift with Powertrain in Track mode in the 12C. It is absolutely rifle-trigger instantaneous and keeps the boost coming like a comet on fire.

I will hopefully be passing through Vegas in the next couple of weeks and plan to drop in at exotics. Have to admit, being a 12C owner already, the big Lambo is my main attraction. But maybe I'll take a few laps in the 458 and see if I can be converted!

Welcome to the board! :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.