McLaren Life banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I wanted to share my recent experience with a major power upgrade to my 2012 MP4-12C. Bitten by the desire for higher than stock-output, I had previously installed Larini downpipes with high-flow cats, had a 675LT tune flashed onto my ECU, and installed a set of BMC air filters with the factory air filter box foam removed. I also add one bottle of Lucas oil octane booster per tank to get the fuel closer to the Euro-spec 98 RON and combat the notoriously poor fuel quality in CA. The car was certainly stronger than stock, especially in the low-mid range.

I then happened upon a recent thread regarding upgraded turbo intercoolers and, after chatting with Kent at Renaissance Speed, I grabbed an early build spot. I also purchased a lightly used set of Pure Stage-2 turbos, because, well, then engine was already going to be opened up, right?

World Motorsports in Torrance, CA performed the hardware install. This included the new turbos, intercoolers, 1050x injectors, new factory spark plugs, and a factory ignition coil inspection. Major shout out to Craig and his team at World… these guys managed to knock out this install in about a week over the Christmas holidays.

After the car was buttoned up, it was handed off to Jon at Dyno Spectrum for ECU calibration on World’s rolling dyno. This was the most advanced dyno I had ever seen… a floor mounted dyno in a fully enclosed room with 3-4’ diameter fans pushing and pulling air across the car. A legitimate wind-tunnel dyno. There were admittedly a few hiccups with the ECU cal, but Jon put in many long hours to fix the bugs. I was extremely impressed with how dedicated the Dyno Spectrum team was to getting things 100% right and ensuring customer satisfaction. In the end, he delivered my car with a massive new attitude.

As you can see from the attached dyno sheet, the car put down a respectable baseline of 600 RWHP and 480 RWTQ, which is exactly what you would expect given the supporting mods. After this upgrade, peak power increased to 725 RWHP and 585 RWTQ using California 91 pump gas (no meth). Interestingly, this setup appears to considerably outperform a comparable car (650S) with Pure S2 turbos, HFCs, a custom tune, and a meth kit (note the only difference is the upgraded intercoolers vs. the meth kit). This is especially true in the low-mid RPM range where the upgraded intercoolers’ lower-than-factory restriction enables the turbos to spool much more quickly. Additionally, unlike many high-HP tunes using the factory turbos and/or intercoolers, power remains nearly constant from ~6500 RPM to redline as opposed to the very steep drop-off that many cars see after about 7500 RPM.

In practice, the car is incredible. I have not yet had a chance to really open her up, but even under 6000 RPM, the car pulls about as aggressively as my Tesla P85D… it just doesn’t stop pulling hard at 45 MPH like the Tesla. At 75 MPH in 4th-5th gear with MPSC2 tires, the car breaks traction with relative ease. New Toyo R888R tires are being installed this weekend to remedy this issue. The sounds are also so much improved. There is a distinct turbo whine that comes in at about 3000 RPM which was completely absent on the stock turbos… it reminds me of a slightly toned-down roots-style blower behind your head. There is also a good amount of induction noise (until the exhaust overwhelms it), another welcomed feature compared to factory.

In sum, I am extremely happy with the new setup. The products from Renaissance Speed and Dyno Spectrum did not disappoint and the labor provided by World Motorsports was top notch. If/when I feel the need for future upgrades, I know full well to whom I am going to reach out.

EDIT: Corrected image - I had the wrong reference car for the comparison.

·
Trusted Source for McLaren Performance
56 Posts
@nordstat - We are thrilled that you are happy with your Pure S2 turbos, Renaissance Speed intercoolers and DynoSpectrum tune. The numbers don't lie, you have a really strong setup with great spool up. As we saw on the dyno, these are close to stock 720S numbers on CA pump!

No doubt that the intercoolers allow much quicker spool and more power everywhere under the powerband.

Can't wait to see where you go from here. I am sure we will have an upgrade path in no time :oops:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Now time for some videos!!

·
2012 MP4-12C
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
UPDATE: I realized I posted the wrong image in the first post (the reference car was incorrect). It has been corrected above and re-posted here.

As we saw on the dyno, these are close to stock 720S numbers on CA pump!
Yup. Here is the dyno curve showing my car against a stock 720S and the 650S with Pure S2's and Meth on the same dyno. Peak numbers are very similar, and the stock 720S curves look like slightly RPM-compressed versions of the other two cars' results.

I am sure we will have an upgrade path in no time :oops:
...too late! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you sure its stock 720S ? From the chart looks like its more than 720 hp to the wheels !!!

·
2012 MP4-12C
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure its stock 720S ? From the chart looks like its more than 720 hp to the wheels !!!
I cannot attest to it being stock as I wasn’t there for the dyno run. The operator just pulled it up as a comparison, so I assume it is stock. Not out of family with the 680+ whp that 720s’s have been putting down regularly. Maybe a bit of a factory freak, but still.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts