McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Those are great videos, thanks for pointing them out!

It will be interesting if the movie Rush helps raise the profile of McLaren. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Interested to know from Spider owners - how much harder is to use the 12c without that rear 3/4 glass?

I know it's not going to be any major hindrance but is it something you notice i.e. when coming onto a motorway/ freeway?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The flower wheels need to be retired.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
It's things like this that are what really make me want to root for and ultimately own one of these cars. The fact that McLaren enters back into the consumer car business after a hiatus long enough that they are starting from zero, and that they have the confidence in the product to hand it over as a long term test car is awesome. The fact that the car isn't a new-off-the-line car, but rather is a McQualified car is even better. That they gave it to Evo, which has been mentioned for Ferrari favoritism in a few threads here, is even better!

Since I'm one that will be looking at the McQualified cars when it comes time to buy, it's a huge plus for the brand to see the level of faith they have in what they've produced. Seeing what pops up as issues in these cars was one of the main reasons I joined McLarenLife. There have been so few reported showstoppers I keep pestering Boxer to let me in the Owners Section as my inner skeptic thinks all the dark secrets are hidden in there (They aren't right? Like, that's totally just my paranoia... Right guys?... Guys? :D). As time goes on I just get more excited by the prospect of owning one.

-nh4.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
It's things like this that are what really make me want to root for and ultimately own one of these cars. The fact that McLaren enters back into the consumer car business after a hiatus long enough that they are starting from zero, and that they have the confidence in the product to hand it over as a long term test car is awesome. The fact that the car isn't a new-off-the-line car, but rather is a McQualified car is even better. That they gave it to Evo, which has been mentioned for Ferrari favoritism in a few threads here, is even better!

Since I'm one that will be looking at the McQualified cars when it comes time to buy, it's a huge plus for the brand to see the level of faith they have in what they've produced. Seeing what pops up as issues in these cars was one of the main reasons I joined McLarenLife. There have been so few reported showstoppers I keep pestering Boxer to let me in the Owners Section as my inner skeptic thinks all the dark secrets are hidden in there (They aren't right? Like, that's totally just my paranoia... Right guys?... Guys? :D). As time goes on I just get more excited by the prospect of owning one.

-nh4.
I totally agree with you. The fact that McLaren have confidence in what they produce gives me (as a future buyer) a lot of confidence in the brand. Ferrari don't even seem to leave the journalists alone with their cars let alone use them for a long term test.

What I also love about McLaren is they seem to be trying to learn what works/ doesn't work very quickly. A lot of the complaints with the car seem to be addressed. They do really listen to their customers.

I cannot wait to own a McLaren and become part of the family. Hopefully it won't be too long!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I actually quite like them :eek::eek::eek: I find them quite eye-catching.

I think everyone on this forum is on your side though.
I'm with you... If I had to pick between "flower" wheels and "penis" wheels... As a former BMW owner, I agree with the following:

'What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW? With the porcupine, the pricks are on the outside.'

A McLaren is not a porcupine :D

Am I making any sense at all?

-nh4.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Choice is good.

Here's my break down of the of some pros/cons from my perspective:

Standard, silver. Pros: best looking of all the rims. Cons: weight in one of the few ways that drivers actually can perceive the difference in performance of the car). Show brake dust even before you hit the brake! :)

Standard, stealth. I'm not a stealth fan, but I think when you put it to the right motif, very fetching. Same cons except doesn't show break dust. If you get road rash, it will be very noticeable.

Penis lightweight rims, silver: Pros: lightweight to the point of making a difference you can feel. Third best looking rims. Cons: not as pretty as standard. Have penis's in the design.

Penis lightweight, stealth: Same as above, but I'm not a fan of stealth as much. Road rash will show up more on these rims.

Penis lightweight, diamond cut: Same as above, but, second best looking rims. Pros: brake dust will not show as much, but you still have the nice silver contrast. Cons: road rash is more difficult to fix in a way that you won't notice b/c of the diamond cut.

Flower lightweights: All the same comments as above, but I like the design a bit less. Less attractive, to my eye than the super light weights below. That said, although they are not my first choice, they still look good to my eye. It's not like they're ugly, but this is on a relative spectrum of all really good looking rims.

Super lightweights: Most of the same caveats as with the lightweights above. Pros: lightest rims. Better looking than flower rims. Cons: apparently the extra reduction in weight is something you cannot really feel.

As always, YMMV

·
Registered
240 Posts
Interested to know from Spider owners - how much harder is to use the 12c without that rear 3/4 glass?

I know it's not going to be any major hindrance but is it something you notice i.e. when coming onto a motorway/ freeway?
Never missed not having it. Visibility over the shoulder is fine.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Have to say, with respect to being a daily driver, cars like the 12c and the 458 can certainly be used as such but the attention cars like those get is just too much for anyone (or me at least) to seriously consider doing so.

·
Administrator
2,745 Posts
Have to say, with respect to being a daily driver, cars like the 12c and the 458 can certainly be used as such but the attention cars like those get is just too much for anyone (or me at least) to seriously consider doing so.
You do get used to it and after a week or two it does stop being a distraction (at least in my case).

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Well you all know I use mine everyday,why leave it in the garage it would be such a waste :) After 2 years I am still looking for excuses not to do my designated school runs,which only amount to 3 out of 10 a week,so I now pick the ones were one of the spoggs has a sports match,so i don't have to use the school bus (conti) !!

·
Registered
49 Posts
It depends on what area of the country you reside I suppose. I live in So Cal and Miami. You could roll around in an F1 car in either area and barely get a second look!!

~CaliMac

·
Registered
308 Posts
The reviewer says the McLaren is superior to the 458 for front nose clearance. He's wrong on that. I've got a front lifter on both but only the McLaren really needs it. The 458 has much better front clearance.

He says the car is suitable for everyday use. Well, it isn't his car so of course he can use it every day. If it gets damaged, it's someone else's problem. CaliMac is right - it depends where you live - and what your everyday use consists of.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
It is definitely very usable for a daily driver. To say it's not, is to say an Audi A4 isn't usable as a daily driver because you have 8 kids to take to school each morning and need to tow a giant boat every other day.

Every purchase is made with the assumption that tangible limits of the car are understood in advanced.

It's the less obvious things that make or break a car's functionality for daily use. For example, it is super loud? Is the ride brutal? Are the seats uncomfortable? Does it require 2 parking spaces to park? Does it have poor visibility? Is Is it constantly breaking down? Is the AC terrible in the summer?

IMO, there is nothing about the car that makes it a poor daily driver. If the physical limits of the car suit your lifestyle, there is nothing about the car which will prevent it from being used daily.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts