McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj_GtPMxJnU

This is a lap that I think watching must be a pre-requisite for joining Mclarenlife,it might just stop some of the BS being posted!
As stated it was taken on Thursday by McDc a member and non-pro driver among 15 other mclarens that were there as the first real international forum event,i think it just shows what this car is capable of,but next time I will insist he lets me use his 6 point MSO harness as a passenger,but he was in a bit of a hurry to wait !!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Indeed - nice driving! Looked like the Bimers and Porsches were parked on the track.......:p

It did sound though as the tires heated up quite bit, the slip angle seemed to increase towards the end - what tires was he on?

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Awesome!!! I'm still laughing at the Porsche incident around 1:30... It's amazing how well the 12c handles that rough track, I've seen many videos of cars skipping and sliding around from the bumps. Great vid! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
This car was on standard tyres with iron brakes. I had the privilege of a passenger ride and ,even as a passenger , the tyre feedback and grip was awesome ......... You have to give that carbon chassis huge accolades as well.

On my lap a couple of 911 GT3RS's were in the way on the racing line. However the driver, Martin, just adjusted his entry point and braking........with this driver the car danced around those Porsches.

The brakes were consistent and very powerful with no fade.

Great fun by all at the Green Hell.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Traffic?

Good find Andy :eek: :D

And yes, the tires have lost some grip towards the end as this was the second hotlap in a row which means roughly 42km of constant abuse.

I couldn't get a set of Corsas in time for the day but hopefully next time. Should be good for another 5-10 seconds.

Nevermind the Corsas, he ( the driver) probably lost about 15 s on this very lap because of the traffic. And yes the Corsas should shave of another +5 on this track. And yes there are better and worse drivers around the globe.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,072 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good find Andy :eek: :D

And yes, the tires have lost some grip towards the end as this was the second hotlap in a row which means roughly 42km of constant abuse.

I couldn't get a set of Corsas in time for the day but hopefully next time. Should be good for another 5-10 seconds.
Can you, for the uninitiated, point to a few corners in the video where the brake steer was of most assistance?

I don't know if its just me, but you seemed to find your groove on the second half of the lap. Is that true?

Btw, that apex at 5.45 was really nice. It looked as though you started to use a few more curbs and rubble strips after that.

Leaning on tires at those speeds must take some balls at the Ring. Experten!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
A fantastic car / driver match up!

I don't understand what the other drivers were thinking - if a car catches you it's going faster so why not start planning ahead vs ruin the track.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Thank you guys, but really not worth that much praise.

Benjiwengy, as the track is very fluent, brake steer is not really noticable there, at least not to me. The car just turns in well and feels natural doing so. Certainly without brake steer beeing active the car would show a lot more understeer.

There are not many curbs to be taken with a street car, maybe 4 or 5 in total whereas the curb at the apex around 5.45 (called "Wippermann II") is the most prominent.

Also the traction out of corners on standard p zero tires is nothing short of phenomenal given the car does not even have a LSD.

With regards to find the groove, I actually like the first 2/3 of the track a lot more than the final bends and you can clearly see that in the video. I'm going way too slow at Pflanzgarten II (6.40 +) which is one of the a big balls corner.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice lap Martin. Pleasure to watch, very smooth lines. And it's really impressive to see with which speed the MP4 laps up the circuit. I drive there a lot myself and know how fast you can take which corners, and the grip level of that car is really astonishing (without cup tires).

Also looks like the circuit was less slippery than when I was there on the 2/3 August. Would've loved to catch a passenger lap with you!

Thanks for sharing.

Alpina_B3_Lux

1 - 20 of 34 Posts