McLaren Life banner

12C in the June 2012 Motor Trend

8K views 65 replies 15 participants last post by  6th element 
#1 ·
Just got my June issue of MT, which has a good review of the 12C. Nothing new... The same tech stuff, but with a very positive spin. The obligatory comparison to the 458 is made in the fact and figure table, with the 12C on top. The final verdict...

"But is the Mclaren capable of outshining its obvious Ferrari 458 rival? That question hasn't escaped us, so stay tuned for a future showdown."

I think the tide is turning.:)

This is probably illegible, but here it goes:
Text Font Newspaper Magazine Paper

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
"But is the Mclaren capable of outshining its obvious Ferrari 458 rival? That question hasn't escaped us, so stay tuned for a future showdown."
Oh yay, Ferrari 458 press car version 3.0 being prepped as we speak. "Mr. Motor Trend, this is Ferrari North America, please let us know at which track you will be conducting the comparo...." Here we go, again. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the images, though. Was it a complete road test with performance data, or are those manufacturer's claims in the tables? Does it say which tires (assuming standard P0 because U.S. car)?

#5 · (Edited)
]
Thanks for the images, though. Was it a complete road test with performance data, or are those manufacturer's claims in the tables? Does it say which tires (assuming standard P0 because U.S. car)?
These are MT's numbers. 458 was tested a year ago. Both cars were tested on the same track. 458 had the Michelin PSS. Stock P0 for the 12C.

Here's a better look at the numbers:

Christmas tree Tree Christmas decoration Christmas ornament oregon pine

Attachments

#6 ·
What's interesting is that the article says the 12C beat both 458 Italias they have tested around the figure 8 course. So I wonder if they are going to test 458 press car v3.0 around the figure 8 and what will it do... My guess is that the new car will be magically faster, but as usual a blind eye will be turned to that fact. Would love to see the U.S. rags take a stand and call it what it is, like Harris did, but I can pretty much guarantee it ain't gonna happen.

#17 ·
Frankly, regardless whatever numbers an AWD car can generate - I'm not driving numbers. I want my hands to control the front wheels, and my right foot to control the rear (and ME to control the balance between them).

There's a reason Balboni specified RWD for the Gallardo bearing his name.

Great cars are RWD, as god intended.

#18 ·
I believe if Nissan keeps evolving the GT-R, it will undoubtedly own all the "numbers" including accel, figure 8, skidpad, etc., except for maybe accel from 100mph onwards. Their AWD and ESC/TC technology is mind-boggling for the things they can do with that car, given its high curb weight.

Probably not a car that I'll own, but I respect its massive capabilities, especially at the price.

#20 ·
The way to look at it is from the Time Attack Scene. Yes, AWD cars tend to generally have an advantage, but with great aero and enough grip, RWD cars are as fast (and in one case, faster). Factor X Motorsport's NSX is faster than Sierra Sierra's Evo, and on a lower budget, as well. In Japan, Revolution's RX-7 and Top Fuel's S2000 are doing very well, too.

A GTR with a significant weight loss and further advances in power output and electronics/programming would trash the current supercars, but I'm not sure it'd beat the track day special versions that are due to come out in a few years time. And I definitely don't think it would take on the hypercars. I would bet that significant active aero will be used, and that will change the nature of the game

#19 ·
So, someone pull some moulds off the MP4, then we can buy a trashed GTR and voila, with a bit of welding and a lick of paint and we'll have the ultimate kit car!

#25 ·
Crazy?! Compared to what? That's within 60 lbs of 430 Scud press cars. Remember, the first 458 press cars (before 12C comparison tests) were weighing in at over 3500 lbs.

You have to give up something (like SSG or carpets or comfy seats) to get much lighter than that, or it's going to cost you $$ (carbon body).

#26 ·
Heck.... compared to a GT3RS, compared to a lowly NSX. Neither of them have a CF tub!! i realize that the car has plenty of HP to compensate for the weight but I was just hoping to be closer to 3000.

The original claims from Mclaren were a dry weight of 2880 LBS(IIRC)... I would think with fluids and less power options...3050 or 3100 would be realistic.

I just need to weigh my car since the MT car may be loaded which adds weight.

#65 ·
I return to this forum every so often to hear the latest about the 12C and it seems to me every thread at some point turns into a Ferrari bashing series of posts. Why? Doesn't happen round the other way on Ferrari forums.
Surely there is enough to talk about with the 12C?

#66 ·
The company and some of its fans bring it upon themselves, I suppose? Still, I would postulate that the debate in this thread is very civil.

p.s. Think your statement that there is no McLaren-bashing on Ferrari forums is quite wide of the mark. Or, we browse different sites!

p.p.s. Welcome back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.