McLaren Life banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Owner
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm bored, rainy here today, and I saw a post about a dead battery in a 12C.
I don't have a dead battery. I've never had a battery issue (knock on wood!).

But for whatever stupid reason, I tried to get into the access panel on my 12C, the panel on the top, inside of the air intake. Because I just like lubing hinges, I was going to pump some graphite lube into the key hole, just in case I ever needed it.

Problem is I can not even get the access panel off. Not sure which way to push, pull, twist .... It's in there pretty snug and seems like I will scratch or chip paint trying to maneuver it out.

Does anyone have a video for removal of that access panel?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Be very gentle. Pull with your thumb downward when you find the thumb hole. It will pop out easily. Then push slowly toward the front of the car, it will give a bit toward the front. Then gently slide the rear down and twist the body of the plastic cover slowly to minimize contact with the mesh grill behind it. It takes a while but it does come out. Amazingly, even if you make some contact, as long as you are not just grinding it back and forth you shouldn't scratch the paint.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts