McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Considering it yes, although under a range of Mclaren options... No real idea about running costs but we should get a better Idea soon with the first 5 running around in Dubai...

Mclaren gt I think would be amenable to running the cars ... Also I believe they'll be allowed to run on the pure Mclaren owners track days. So as I understand it there's the possibility of leaving it with Mclaren gt who will bring it to the Mclaren track days for you. All just discussion but seems very plausible.

Edit : and certainly the intention is to have the gentlemans race series although how far down in the planing that is I don't know but I would say not far.

·
Administrator
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Considering it yes, although under a range of Mclaren options... No real idea about running costs but we should get a better Idea soon with the first 5 running around in Dubai...

Mclaren gt I think would be amenable to running the cars ... Also I believe they'll be allowed to run on the pure Mclaren owners track days. So as I understand it there's the possibility of leaving it with Mclaren gt who will bring it to the Mclaren track days for you. All just discussion but seems very plausible.

Edit : and certainly the intention is to have the gentlemans race series although how far down in the planing that is I don't know but I would say not far.
Ferrari UK used to run a club, Fiorano Ferrari which worked very well combining both the road and track cars. would be great if McLaren did something similar.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Good question... The sprint is significantly cheaper to purchase outright than a gt3. About 55% of a new gt3 .. But you may be able to find a 2nd hand 'one careful owner' race car... Sprint has the pcc rather than roll bars for the gt3. Doesn't have the downforce of course. Although am not sure the downforce figures are out yet for the sprint, but it's about 600 kg for the gt3. You can fit slicks on the sprint of course and a big wing which the engineers say it don't need as most of the downforce comes from the floor and ride height. All in all it's a decent value track day/ race car with proper racing geometry and brakes.. It should be cheaper to run than gt3 with I think standard 12c suspension box and engine. Has air jacks too for the proper race car feel! Will also be cheaper than 12c 's' if that rumour is true......

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Good question... The sprint is significantly cheaper to purchase outright than a gt3. About 55% of a new gt3 .. But you may be able to find a 2nd hand 'one careful owner' race car... Sprint has the pcc rather than roll bars for the gt3. Doesn't have the downforce of course. Although am not sure the downforce figures are out yet for the sprint, but it's about 600 kg for the gt3. You can fit slicks on the sprint of course and a big wing which the engineers say it don't need as most of the downforce comes from the floor and ride height. All in all it's a decent value track day/ race car with proper racing geometry and brakes.. It should be cheaper to run than gt3 with I think standard 12c suspension box and engine. Has air jacks too for the proper race car feel! Will also be cheaper than 12c 's' if that rumour is true......
If you are just using it for track days,then get the can-am which is basically the same price but with the big wing,they automatically come with slicks as they are not road legal , but if there was to be a gentlemans series for the uk it would have to be the sprint,from what ive been told they have plenty of interest,just getting the paperwork sorted as they have to be ordered through a dealership,so it depends how pushy you are because the dealerships are new to this sort of thing,a new learning curve for everyone I think,but im confidant that it will happen ,the WILL is there in bucket loads,just a logistic and time factor given the size of that part of the organisation :) .Plus as you say Mikey,they are cheaper than a fully loaded 12c as there are no taxes

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you are just using it for track days,then get the can-am which is basically the same price but with the big wing,they automatically come with slicks as they are not road legal , but if there was to be a gentlemans series for the uk it would have to be the sprint,from what ive been told they have plenty of interest,just getting the paperwork sorted as they have to be ordered through a dealership,so it depends how pushy you are because the dealerships are new to this sort of thing,a new learning curve for everyone I think,but im confidant that it will happen ,the WILL is there in bucket loads,just a logistic and time factor given the size of that part of the organisation :) .Plus as you say Mikey,they are cheaper than a fully loaded 12c as there are no taxes

Q&A

Q: How fast is a Sprint @ Dunsfold compared to a GT3?

A: ?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Q&A

Q: How fast is a Sprint @ Dunsfold compared to a GT3?

A: ?
How quick is a GT3? The gt3 has more downforce but less power,but I don't think there is much in the weight,sorry I don't have the fiqures

·
Registered
99 Posts
can am is 600K, GT3 525K, sprint is just under 300K. I have the first on coming to the US, spring '14. I am replacing my GT3 cup car with it for track days. I may race in some Narra GT rounds. We should have a mclaren spec series in the next few years.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
can am is 600K, GT3 525K, sprint is just under 300K. I have the first on coming to the US, spring '14. I am replacing my GT3 cup car with it for track days. I may race in some Narra GT rounds. We should have a mclaren spec series in the next few years.
Thanks for correcting me,what I meant to say was you can get the Sprint with a can-am /gt3rear wing if you want it.Enjoy her to the full :)

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I wouldn't mind having one for a year or two if I knew there would be a series with the Sprint.

Is there any information you can share?

Wondering how many are allocated to the US.

·
Registered
99 Posts
they plan on making 20 for 13/14, I know 6 are going to Dragon racing in Dubai, 2 already delivered. My friend and I have the first 2 in the US and I know of approx 4-6 others. We are getting the aero pack with the rear wing. Mclaren GT are producing the car and supporting the car. My dealer tech will be getting training when he goes to Woking for P1 training. That's all I know for now. Mclaren GT has been great to deal with and they are very excited about the project. It is early and ground floor, but I think my 12C is great and this car should be a blast with almost 175hp more than my cup car.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
they plan on making 20 for 13/14, I know 6 are going to Dragon racing in Dubai, 2 already delivered. My friend and I have the first 2 in the US and I know of approx 4-6 others. We are getting the aero pack with the rear wing. Mclaren GT are producing the car and supporting the car. My dealer tech will be getting training when he goes to Woking for P1 training. That's all I know for now. Mclaren GT has been great to deal with and they are very excited about the project. It is early and ground floor, but I think my 12C is great and this car should be a blast with almost 175hp more than my cup car.
What dealer are you working with - wonder if there are any open slots. This would be a seriously fun adventure especially with support.

Why is it so limited?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
How is the body different? It looks like it just has the MSO stuff.

Why not just buy a used 12C for under $200K and strip it bare?
Massive difference when you get up close,all fully race prepared from the ground up,not a stripped car at all,most of the interior is completely different with bespoke CF parts not available through MSO , and the engine has a different oil system,it would cost far more doing it yourself even with an older second hand car as the base.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Mclaren Philadelphia is my dealer. I think all of the dealers can set up the sale through Mclaren GT.
That's true,if you contact MclarenGT direct they will sell you one,but it will have to be invoiced through your local dealer,unless you have a preference .

1 - 20 of 134 Posts