McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, hello! :D
Last year, they introduced the 12C Can-Am Edition at Pebble Beach Concours and then it went to limited production three months later, so I expect the 12C GT Sprint (458 Scud competitor?) to go to production later on as well.

Background

McLaren 12C GT Sprint is a track-orientated model signifying the continued development of the 12C model, and bridges the gap between the 12C, itself fully accomplished on both road and track, and the all-out racing 12C GT3 and 12C GT Can-Edition models. It has been designed and developed by McLaren GT, the race car building arm of the McLaren Group, and retains many of the unique systems from the 12C road car, on which it is based.
Generating 625PS, the optimised 3.8-litre twin turbo engine has revised calibration and a unique engine oil system, and is coupled to a seven-speed twin clutch gearbox These enhancements ensure that the 12C GT Sprint retains the balanced and precise characteristics much praised in the road car, but offer a more track-derived balance on the limit.
Built around the lightweight carbon fibre MonoCell chassis, and with developments to systems such as ProActive Chassis Control, (PCC), Brake Steer and the McLaren Airbrake, the latest model from McLaren GT has been honed to deliver a more track-focused GT racing experience behind the wheel.
the 12C GT Sprint features optimised aerodynamic and cooling upgrades. At the front is a more aggressive front bumper from McLaren Special Operations (MSO), GT3-inspired bonnet air intakes and exit ducts and front wing louvres. Lowered by 25 mm, the 12C GT Sprint is fitted with track-focused braking system with carbon ceramic (CCM) brake discs. Tyre changes are made easier through an on-board air jacking system and centre-locking 19-inch OZ wheels, shod with Pirelli racing slick tyres.
Inside the cabin, the 12C GT Sprint is fitted with an FIA-approved rollcage and integrated fire extinguisher system. Two fully adjustable HANS-approved, lightweight carbon composite racing seats with full six-point harnesses provide the optimum driving position, while an air-conditioning system is retained, albeit a lightweight version, offering added comfort.

http://media.mclarenautomotive.com/event/1/EN/doc/16/#tabs-10

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
You were quick with that Mark!!
MclarenGT have been working on this for a while as a pure track focused car,with the benefits of the road car,remember they are a stand alone company,but im assuming they have to have this passed by McLaren themselves.I would think that you would have to approach McLarenGT direct it you would like one :) Although im not sure if the picture and the car match,unless they have made a faux pas in keeping the airbrake under that wing !!!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I guess that its not road legal though, even if you change the tyres..
wonder what other mods have been made to suspension as i was under the impression from mclaren you couldn't fit slicks to the 12c with current suspension.. interested to know how much it is... i guess if track only then can't be much more than 225 gbp

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
You were quick with that Mark!!
MclarenGT have been working on this for a while as a pure track focused car,with the benefits of the road car,remember they are a stand alone company,but im assuming they have to have this passed by McLaren themselves.I would think that you would have to approach McLarenGT direct it you would like one :) Although im not sure if the picture and the car match,unless they have made a faux pas in keeping the airbrake under that wing !!!
yes slight discrepancy there.. !

do you know if it's road legal andy? assuming you can just swap the slicks off

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
yes slight discrepancy there.. !

do you know if it's road legal andy? assuming you can just swap the slicks off
Mark M was telling me its just for the track,i think it probably sits too low for anything else.But with the advantage of all the power and suspension,as you say it has to be cheaper than a current GT car as you can buy last years GT cars at £300k if its just for tracking,but I think they are a lot more complictated to run with all the race tech involved.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Mark M was telling me its just for the track,i think it probably sits too low for anything else.But with the advantage of all the power and suspension,as you say it has to be cheaper than a current GT car as you can buy last years GT cars at £300k if its just for tracking,but I think they are a lot more complictated to run with all the race tech involved.
interesting.. i wonder how short on down force it is compared to gt3 or can am... certainly an interesting option...

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
interesting.. i wonder how short on down force it is compared to gt3 or can am... certainly an interesting option...
Just found out the standard sprint has the airbrake,but there is an advanced aero option that negates that for the big wing and revised front to balance it. So in essence this car is the same price but quicker version of a 458 challenge ;)

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
This seems very much like a 458 Challenge car, perhaps the genesis of a customer racing series? Cool, but I was hoping to read about a Scud competitor road car. :(

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
This seems very much like a 458 Challenge car, perhaps the genesis of a customer racing series? Cool, but I was hoping to read about a Scud competitor road car. :(
6th,this is made by McLarenGT who make all the GT3 race cars,it is affiliated to McLaren,but McLaren will be making their own road version .This car is a direct competitor to the 458 challenge,and dosent fit into the one road car per year plan of McLaren Auto motive,whats not to like ??

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
The good news is that it's 100'kg plus lighter which shows it can probably be done on a full road going version

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
6th,this is made by McLarenGT who make all the GT3 race cars,it is affiliated to McLaren,but McLaren will be making their own road version .This car is a direct competitor to the 458 challenge,and dosent fit into the one road car per year plan of McLaren Auto motive,whats not to like ??
thanks andy, you're right and it is to be celebrated overall :)
I was reading mikeyb's post on another thread saying the Scud competitor is in this thread, so that's how I ended up disappointed! no biggie but thanks for your concern! :D

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
yes sorry my bad 6th... i appreciate that most are waiting for the road going version... i think it does illustrate what can be done though, particuarly with regard to weight..

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
One thing I noticed is that it has good looking gills on the fenders from the GT3. The MSO are the ugly (imo) ones that stick up, whereas these ones are built in. I'd much rather than these than the MSO parts. Wonder if they'll be offered...

Fuel point looks moved as well.

IMO, this is how the body should have come standard.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts