McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice the front splitter and I think the front bumper has got LTR ducts ahead of the front wheels. :)

Our spies snapped a few pics with the upcoming 2014 McLaren MP4-12C which will be revealed in a few months.
McLaren is getting ready for a minor refresh for its MP4-12C which will enter 2014MY with a slightly modified front bumper and revised headlights. These changes will be applied to both body styles which will probably come with a slightly updated interior as well.
When the 2013 model year was introduced, McLaren bumped output of the twin-turbo V8 3.8-liter by 25 HP (18 kW) to 625 HP (459 kW). Last month a McLaren engineer confirmed 2014MY will come with another power boost but he didn't specify any numbers. Most likely, the engine will be tweaked to deliver somewhere around 650 HP (478 kW) so there will still be a significant gap between the MP4-12C and the flagship P1 which has 737 HP (542 kW).
A public debut should occur in September at the 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show.

Source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/1130711...ges?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
looks like it going to be very nice.. .like the lights.. !
and more power again.. i wonder if they will backdate it this time..

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Looks like the 'ear' intakes aft the b-pillar have become more pronounced.
True,the lights are now flush without the bulge and there is small extension on the side of the bumper at the bottom of the wheel arch ,like the MSO and HS bumpers.Looks like they have removed the 3 strakes each side of the intakes as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
80%

Facelift already o_O

McLaren started at 70-80% level instead of the projected 90-100% level. When the Spider arrived McLaren did reach 90% level, despite the financial downturn. The facelift should help to take the MP4-12C to projected 1800 units a year.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
True,the lights are now flush without the bulge and there is small extension on the side of the bumper at the bottom of the wheel arch ,like the MSO and HS bumpers.Looks like they have removed the 3 strakes each side of the intakes as well.
Good eye Andy. Looks subtle and tasteful. Looking fwd to it.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
You know, this very well could be a GT test car and not a face lift.

In any case, the fenders and hood look to be the same, so I'm guessing you could update a car to this spec if you wanted. McLaren seems pretty upgrade friendly, having given people significant performance upgrades for free, and encouraging used buyers to add MSO stuff after the fact by offering discount There is good money to be made in selling options. I'm sure they'd gladly except a check for $20K for some lights and a new bumper.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
You know, this very well could be a GT test car and not a face lift.

In any case, the fenders and hood look to be the same, so I'm guessing you could update a car to this spec if you wanted. McLaren really seems to push people to update their cars, offering used buyers discounts on MSO. There is good money to be made in selling options. I'm sure they'd gladly except a check for $20K for some lights and a new bumper.
You could be spot on regarding the GT version.

The 458 Scud debut is Aug 30th.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
IMO it seems unlikely that they would start offering the new MSO bumper as an added cost and make such a big deal about its introduction, only then a few months later to debut a new bumper in which it would be standard.

I also think it's a GT car if there are in fact ducts in front of the wheels. That is a very performance oriented thing and if they make it standard on the face lift, how will the differentiate the GT? A new design again? Doubtful. That front splitter looking thing is also a rather performance oriented thing.

Like I've said from the beginning, you can't go all out on every model because you need to save things for future updates without setting the bar to high.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I expect them to do a lot more bodywork changes, though, for the GT version. Sideskirts, different rear bumper, different wing assembly, maybe even front fenders etc.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
At the beginning Mclaren said the car would not change for it's 5 year life but all cars would be upgraded if MY performance changes occurred.

Thus either this is a derivative model or Mclaren intends to renege on it's starting commitment.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I expect them to do a lot more bodywork changes, though, for the GT version. Sideskirts, different rear bumper, different wing assembly, maybe even front fenders etc.
True, but it's not necessary for every component to be on a test car. I mean, even if there is a bunch of aerodynamic stuff on that car, it's not like it's being tested given that the entire front end is wrapped in stuff that is affecting air flow. That car in the photos very well could just be testing electronics and lights, maybe suspension stuff.

I imagine that a lot of stuff doesn't even need that much testing in the real world. I'm sure they know very well what sideskirts and wings will do to the car, and they do have wind tunnels and computers. They do, after all, also already have a GT3, Can Am, and a track day special which should run circles around any road car, GT included.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Your comments on the GT version all seem plausible expect it's a spider in the pics.
There will be both GT and Spider GT, I guarantee it.

The coupe/spider are pretty much identical in performance anyway other than a few extra pounds for the roof.

Also, weren't the Enzo and LF mules, 348s and Enzos, respectively? Doesn't really matter what the car is when it comes to testing a lot of stuff.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts