McLaren Life banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There have been a few threads that have touched on the depreciation of the 12c lately. For myself, I'm in the 'hoping to become an owner' category, so I've been keeping a fairly close eye on the depreciation, and trying to compare it to other cars. This has proven to be fairly hard to do since all super cars have a laundry list of options which all mess with the residuals. In my digging around, I found 'http://www.whatcar.com/car-depreciation-calculator' which, as the link implies, is a depreciation calculator... Not entirely sure how accurate it is, but for comparison, here are some of what it states (in GBP)... The McLaren numbers (in USD) are ones I did based on the averages for the models cited;

Year 0 Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4
Ferrari 458 Coupe 4.5 V8 Italia 2dr £178,461 £163,274 (8.5) £135,559 (17) £112,627 (17) £97,582 (13%) Total: 45%
Rolls-Royce Ghost Saloon 6.6 V12 4dr £200,500 £164,992 (17.5) £136,982 (17) £113,824 (17) £98,606 (13%) Total: 51%
Lamborghini Gallardo Coupe 5.2 V10 LP570-4 Superleggera 2dr £183,948 £86,549 (53) £71,501 (17) £58,825 (17) £47,650 (19%) Total: 74%
Bentley Continental GT Convertible 4.0 V8 2dr £136,250 £106,193 (22) £88,181 (17) £73,248 (17) £63,465 (14%) Total: 54%
Aston Martin Vantage Coupe 5.9 V12 2dr £135,000 £75,840 (44) £66,999 (12) £58,473 (14) £50,918 (12%) Total: 62%
Audi R8 Coupe 5.2 FSI 525 V10 2dr £113,810 £93,893 (18) £77,960 (17) £64,792 (17) £56,131 (14%) Total: 51%
------ ---- ---- ----- ----
AVG Depreciation: 27% 16.2% 16.5% 14.2% 56.2%

McLaren MP4-12c (using avg depreciation and USD) $240000 $175200 (27) $146800 (16.2) $122600 (16.5) $105171 (14.2)
McLaren MP4-12c (using avg less Aston and Lambo, USD) $240000 $200400 (16.5) $166300 (17) $138000 (17) $119400 (13.5)

For the folks that have recently bought a used, 'Qualified', or inventory clearance car, do these prices seem about right? Has anyone seen meaningful discounting down from these prices?

-nh4.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
That didn't paste correctly at all... I'll see if I can fix it.

Sometime later....

I couldn't fix it... Anyone know if there is a way to insert raw HTML into the thread posts? There is an option to surround text with HTML tags, but that didn't seem to work.

-nh4.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in the same category as an aspiring owner, would be interested in seeing how the prices fluctuate in years 3-4.

The Lambo numbers don't look right... I'd gladly trade my Vantage for a Superleggera if I can see those prices....

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I agree, I'm not sure of the quality of some of these numbers and I find it hard to believe that the Lambo would drop 53% in a year. I also thought that the Aston first year of depreciation showing 44% seemed a bit steep. The last numbers I put together in the table I can't get to space right above took those two out of the equation. Averaging out the Ferrari, Rolls, Bentley, and Audi came out with the following depreciation rate:

Year 1: 16.5%
Year 2: 17%
Year 3: 17%
Year 4: 13.5%

Total: 50%

That comes out to:

McLaren MP4-12c :: MSRP: $240000
Year 1: $200400
Year 2: $166300
Year 3: $138000
Year 4: $119400

regards,

-nh4.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
The above nos don't look right to me.

I can how ever inform you of my own experience.

A 12C coupe after 12 months and 8 k miles if brought at list will lose 80k
A 12C-SP with a list of 260k will loose 52k, after 500 miles and 2 months
A 12C SP with 1200 miles and 4 months old will lose 47k.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the data points, citylad.

That works out to 20% hit on the Spider with 500 miles / 2 months, and about 18% on the 1200 miles / 4 month old one (if it also started at 260k).

If you don't mind my asking, what was the initial cost and options on the coupe? If you'd rather PM, feel free... If you'd rather not say, no worries.

-nh4.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Still waiting on my crystal ball from MSO with carbon trim ($765,000.00) but I can share what I've noticed from glancing at cars.com periodically.

The number of 12Cs listed seemed to peak a few months ago around 80 cars (many with delivery miles) and has since steadily decreased. Now around 50 something I believe, including spiders and 2013 coupes, and very few with delivery miles. Seems to indicate that the glut of 2012 coupes is pretty much dried up, unless they just aren't being listed anymore (which I doubt).

For reference in the same time period the number of 458 coupes and spiders listed has ballooned from around 100 to roughly 200 cars.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Coupe was 208, free IRIS back then, list now 218. Mc Orange, Sports ex. CCBs, and few other bits, that are must haves.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
IMO there are no must-have options on cars like these. You'll never make your money back on any of the options. The more you spec, the more you'll lose.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Having thought about it some, I think the best opportunity to buy this car (in the U.S. at least) may have already passed. Reason being that the biggest price drop over time has probably already occurred. The cars will still depreciate, but if the curve flattens somewhat, then any incremental money saved has to be weighed against the remaining dwindling warranty period. The Corvette is a nice low risk car to own out of warranty. These British, Italian and German diva types, not so much. If you blow the M838T engine or Graziano DCT, out of warranty, you're gonna wish you bought new and took the depreciation after 3 years because at least you would have been able to drive the car.

Now this is gonna sound crass but here goes. If you have to stretch yourself and/or your family financially to buy a supercar in the middle of a global economic recession, then IMO you are not very responsible with your money. If you have to stretch yourself and/or your family financially to buy a supercar - that is nearly out of warranty - in the middle of a global economic recession, then IMO there are headless chickens with more brains than you have. There I said it, shoot me. :)

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Lol……then you will just end up with a miss specked car, which at the time of sale will never sell.
One of the biggest fallacies going in the supercar owner circle. Even the smart serial Ferrari flippers know this. All cars sell. At the right price. You never make money on options, just lose.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Now this is gonna sound crass but here goes. If you have to stretch yourself and/or your family financially to buy a supercar in the middle of a global economic recession, then IMO you are not very responsible with your money. If you have to stretch yourself and/or your family financially to buy a supercar - that is nearly out of warranty - in the middle of a global economic recession, then IMO there are headless chickens with more brains than you have. There I said it, shoot me. :)
How dare you! There will be snowflakes with hurt feelings! How dare you say it like it is when no one in the country has the balls to do that anymore. Pitchforks for you! :)

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a mighty fine point about weighing the price to buy the car vs. the warranty left. I believe the McLaren Qualified Program is a 2 year warranty. I don't know if that's an extension of the (I think) three year warranty the car comes with new, or if it is a 2 year deal starting from the time it is purchased as a CPO car.

I certainly also agree that derailing the personal finance train in order to drive around in a fancy car would be headless chicken territory!

-nh4.

·
Owner
893 Posts
One of the biggest fallacies going in the supercar owner circle. Even the smart serial Ferrari flippers know this. All cars sell. At the right price. You never make money on options, just lose.
So true, 6th .... There are plenty of drivers who like k.i.s.s. cars ...... I'm one. ;)
Guys, keep in mind .......... There is an ass for every seat !:D

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Lol……then you will just end up with a miss specked car, which at the time of sale will never sell.
Not true at all. All cars sell at a certain price, and the lower the price, the wider the market. The only thing that makes a car hard to sell is weird color combinations inside and out. There very few poorly spec'd exotics these days.

I guarantee you move a $240K McLaren for $200K way eaiser than I could move a $300K McLaren for $260K. In fact, this has been proven by all the super high-spec cars that have been selling at the same price as lower spec cars. I bought a $300K car for $198K. At the same time, there were tons of people offering $260-280K cars for $200-220K as well.

If you look at the 12C, there really isn't a way to miss-spec it other than colors.

For example:

$229K base price
$2700 paint
$5500 exhuast
$4000 wheels
$2300 alcantera/leather
$5000 sound system
$2000 parking sensors

Total: $250,500.

A $280K spec car would not be any easier to sell assuming equal depreciation. The only thing that makes it easier to sell would be if you were willing to lose considerably more on it.

Now consider this:

I spec'd a nice 991 S -- it had $40K worth of options! I'd say compared to a lot of other brands, McLaren isn't that bad in terms of what it takes to make the car really nice with respect to options.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Having thought about it some, I think the best opportunity to buy this car (in the U.S. at least) may have already passed. Reason being that the biggest price drop over time has probably already occurred. The cars will still depreciate, but if the curve flattens somewhat, then any incremental money saved has to be weighed against the remaining dwindling warranty period. The Corvette is a nice low risk car to own out of warranty. These British, Italian and German diva types, not so much. If you blow the M838T engine or Graziano DCT, out of warranty, you're gonna wish you bought new and took the depreciation after 3 years because at least you would have been able to drive the car.

Just a thought 6th,is it common place to risk buying someone elses car without extending the warrenty?? Most manufacturers do schemes that go up to 7 years at least,then there is the after market option latter.Mclaren are of course looking into this at the moment,but its a year away before the first owners/oldests cars would need it.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.