McLaren Life banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking into account that the IRIS system on the 14MY, is completely new and will not be upgraded, along with that there may well be other face lifts, how do we feel this will affect the prices of pre 14MY cars, or is this already factored into the prices at present.
IMHO

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Hardly any affect at all. Prices are at $200K. There isn't another $50K year, probably not even another $20K year. Prices could in fact stay level for another year. It doesn't matter what a 2014 is because no one is cross shopping 2012 cars with 2014 cars. There is a $100K difference and a very different buyer. Half the people on this board probably wouldn't be here if prices didn't get as low as they did.

To see additional large amounts of depreciation, it would put them at prices where they wouldn't make sense. LP560? LP640? 14' R8? 991 Turbo? 599?

It gets to the point where the 12C is so vastly superior to the cars in those price ranges that it actually can't get that low. Aside from a low-key 991, it would be mental to want an old, end-of-life/out of production car rather than a 12C.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Anyone know where my original thread on this went? It shows as 'moved' in my view of the topic list, but if I click on it I'm told I don't have permissions to view it. I went looking a bit for the thread this morning, but it seems like it may have been deleted and not moved.

I understand that it devolved into something fairly ugly, but I thought it was still a topic worthy of discussion and with a few valuable posts.

-nh4.

·
Owner
544 Posts
Hardly any affect at all. Prices are at $200K. There isn't another $50K year, probably not even another $20K year. Prices could in fact stay level for another year. It doesn't matter what a 2014 is because no one is cross shopping 2012 cars with 2014 cars. There is a $100K difference and a very different buyer. Half the people on this board probably wouldn't be here if prices didn't get as low as they did.

To see additional large amounts of depreciation, it would put them at prices where they wouldn't make sense. LP560? LP640? 14' R8? 991 Turbo? 599?

It gets to the point where the 12C is so vastly superior to the cars in those price ranges that it actually can't get that low. Aside from a low-key 991, it would be mental to want an old, end-of-life/out of production car rather than a 12C.
Good point - it can only go so low.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Thanks Michael. Either I can't find the owners lounge or I don't have access... I'm guessing since I'm not an owner, it's a lack of access.

I can understand the Mods taking action given the way the thread fell apart, but it's a bit disappointing that the decision was to re-locate the entire thread to a more restricted audience (again, unless I just can't find the owners lounge) when it probably could have been cleaned up.

-nh4.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think we all agree on one thing the recommended retail price is way out of sync to what the market feels the car is worth.

Why on earth don’t they just reduce the price approx 20k and stop the crazy discounts. This would give buyers much more confidence.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I always go back to the fact that they budgeted for 120 -130 sterling and yet it retails at 170 basic. Ferrari set the price with the 458 arguing I guess that it outperforms the v12. (599 at the time). I think the market is saying that whilst the cars are faster then the previous generation 'class above' progress suggests that the price should still reflect the segment not necessarily the performance. If they had retailed it at 145 say with options a bit cheaper also the second hand would still be where we are, but they would have sold a huge number more spiders as original owners would have upgraded.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awake now are we....lol

Exactly my point, I raised this with the then MD at the time, over dinner last Sep, did not get cogent response.

I seem to recall the original budget was around 140-160k plus a spec. If they had stuck to this they would have mopped up. If it were me I would wait until the 15MY, major facelift, before any price alignment. The damage is already done on this version

·
Owner
893 Posts
Awake now are we....lol

Exactly my point, I raised this with the then MD at the time, over dinner last Sep, did not get cogent response.

I seem to recall the original budget was around 140-160k plus a spec. If they had stuck to this they would have mopped up. If it were me I would wait until the 15MY, major facelift, before any price alignment. The damage is already done on this version
With regards to your notion of "price alignment" ..... possibly, they might review what they did several months ago in the Australian Market ( they lowered the MSRP and offered a discount on a future purchase for those who purchased at the original MSRP).

·
Registered
359 Posts
moved to owners lounge nh4.. guess the mods thought it best not to air anymore
I'm intrigued, do all threads that are deemed detrimental get moved to the owners lounge? I've seen several times before when a thread starts to reflect badly that posters have said 'this should be moved to the owners lounge'.
Do new owners get a bad shock when finally they can enter the owners lounge and read all the moved threads? ;)

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I'm intrigued, do all threads that are deemed detrimental get moved to the owners lounge? I've seen several times before when a thread starts to reflect badly that posters have said 'this should be moved to the owners lounge'.
Do new owners get a bad shock when finally they can enter the owners lounge and read all the moved threads? ;)
Think you would find it was moved on account of name calling, rather than automotive subject matter.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If they are in this for the long run, IMHO they will have to do something. The new Small lambo is being price aligned to market,

I was thinking today, as to just how the P1 will hold up, I am a depositor on the 918, my 150k goes none refundable next month, and I get 72hrs after a test drive in a production version.

I would love a P1, but I could not justify the risk of a massive initial hit. Back to the same problem no or very ltd brand awareness IMV

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.