McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 8,000 daily driver miles in 6 months, I figured I’d offer a quick update on my experience. In short, the 12C is the best daily driver I’ve owned. I had been driving a Turbo S for the past number of years—and had considered it the highest performance car that could actually commute in and out of Manhattan.

The 12C exceeds the Turbo in every way (except driving through snow).

I think the high-end performance aspect of the car needs no validation from me. But in my use, the car really excels as a super versatile and comfortable daily ride. The car has also been flawless in every way—no issues of any kind (except for the well-known GPS issues).

I find it a little funny in that so many of the things for which the car gets criticized are the things I especially value. I find its quieter set-up and effortless performance are the key aspects of a usable car. From my POV, many of the criticisms I read in the mags are valid if you’re only using the car as a fun ride, and not as a real car.

At the risk of re-igniting the firestorm on the depreciation issue, I think the 12C is the wrong car to drive low miles and flip. Unlike a Ferrari, where guys who know virtually nothing about cars want one, the 12C lives in a much thinner market. Most people in the US have never heard of the brand, and few guys harbor the dream of owning one. However, I do think the car will do just fine long term as a solid used car much like a Turbo—which is equally hard to flip without getting nicked.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks jp. Agree with this. I'm stunned at how much the mac smooths out roads that would rock me in my vette (which had nice magnetic suspension), and yet, at the same time provide so much road feel. It defies physics that it can do both. This car is better in NYC than even "regular" cars, like honda accords, bmw's, and toyota camrys in that it smooths out so many of the city's rough spots. Kind of surreal.

Watch out for those busses though! :)

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Well said!

My commute to work is less than 2 miles - on the way home I often get lost.

I don't mind depreciating my gas tank :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've only had my car 5 days but coming back from an unbeleivably aggressive and smooth ride in a small backcountry road I had the same thought that jkheit just wrote. It defies physics but with style an class. My wife usually gets very nervous when I drive aggressively in the Jag but today even in curves at twice the speed in the 12C she just giggled.

My car is a 2014 model with the new IRIS system. Apart from continual crashes on day one, it has been performing flawlessly since. And the GPS display is simply amazing and intuitive, superior to the best display Garmin has to offer. And I love that all you need is the ZIP / postal code and street number to get where you want.

If you can, I would highly recommend that you get the new IRIS hardware upgrade.

Cheers

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Labeille: glad to hear you are enjoying your car. Also great to hear that the new Iris is looking good.

My only issue with the upgrade is it sounds like a pretty major procedure. Right now I have a perfect rattle-free car. I will be really bummed if I trade one problem for another on the upgrade.:eek:

Anyone else share my apprehension?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Labeille: glad to hear you are enjoying your car. Also great to hear that the new Iris is looking good.

My only issue with the upgrade is it sounds like a pretty major procedure. Right now I have a perfect rattle-free car. I will be really bummed if I trade one problem for another on the upgrade.:eek:

Anyone else share my apprehension?
I guess that it's something I hadn't even thought about. Valid point.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
jp33, I normally would share the same concern. But Kevin H. at PhillyMac is the freak'n 12C whisperer. He's tracked down weird rattles for me and quashed every one. So even if one or two come out of it, I'm pretty confident he can neutralize them. I love those guys, they're amazing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip. Surprised you go there instead of Greenwich...any issues? (you can PM me if you wish...);)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Very nice... many more happy miles to you!

Highest mileage one I know is a volcano orange one from NYC/CT that just came back from Euro adventures with 17K miles on it. Driven by a lady!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Great writeup. Do you commute into or out of manhattan?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Surprised you go there instead of Greenwich...any issues? (you can PM me if you wish...);)
Haven't been to the greenwhich dealer, so no issues.

I bought my Mac at philly. I went there because they had a new 458 and I was thinking of buying that (hate dealing with the F dealers) and test drove both. Best car purchase experience I've ever had. So I go there.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't been to the greenwhich dealer, so no issues.

I bought my Mac at philly. I went there because they had a new 458 and I was thinking of buying that (hate dealing with the F dealers) and test drove both. Best car purchase experience I've ever had. So I go there.
I've also heard great things about Philly. The guys in CT have been great as well. They seem very focused on trying to really deliver on service...and have only done right by me so far.;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I find the scariest thing with the car is it doesn't feel that quick (speed wise). Obviously acceleration is brutal, but I find the speed is just a non event... The car just does it, and never feels in any way un-settled. I was beginning to think my speedo was on the optimistic side. Having now compared it against a GPS unit, it's pretty much bang on. It was only then, I realised it really is scary ;-) Amazing machine!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I find the scariest thing with the car is it doesn't feel that quick (speed wise). Obviously acceleration is brutal, but I find the speed is just a non event... The car just does it, and never feels in any way un-settled. I was beginning to think my speedo was on the optimistic side. Having now compared it against a GPS unit, it's pretty much bang on. It was only then, I realised it really is scary ;-) Amazing machine!
I agree with you about the feel part. Being a retired pilot I've experienced something similar when I started flying the F-18 Hornet. In the previous generation of airplanes you could "feel" a speed increase through the feedback of the stiffer controls and higher aerodynamic noise. With the F-18 auto-trim and very quiet cockpit, it was hard to tell how fast you were going just by the seat of the pants feel.

I was driving last night with the top up because of the chilly temperature but the rear window was down so we could hear the engine humming. At one point I closed the rear window and that's where it hit me how quiet the car is, even at high speed. I'm very glad this car has cruise control otherwise I would need to check the speedo very frequently!

Cheers.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I agree with you about the feel part. Being a retired pilot I've experienced something similar when I started flying the F-18 Hornet. In the previous generation of airplanes you could "feel" a speed increase through the feedback of the stiffer controls and higher aerodynamic noise. With the F-18 auto-trim and very quiet cockpit, it was hard to tell how fast you were going just by the seat of the pants feel.

I was driving last night with the top up because of the chilly temperature but the rear window was down so we could hear the engine humming. At one point I closed the rear window and that's where it hit me how quiet the car is, even at high speed. I'm very glad this car has cruise control otherwise I would need to check the speedo very frequently!

Cheers.
Screw the Spyder, F18 now I'm proper jealous, awesome machine! Just come back from my first Oshkosh trip. Disappointed there was no military displays... One or two of your countrymen told us it was something to do with, I quote "There's a Godamm communist in the Whitehouse" LOL Love your aviation! Got up in Fifi (B.29) and Aluminium Overcast (B.17) absolutely awesome! Yes sorry, it is a quick car ;-)

Andy M

·
Registered
183 Posts
LOL. Thanks Andy.

Yeah, as far as I know Oshkosh is a civilian affair. Good show though.

Cheers

Michel

1 - 20 of 33 Posts