McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice of how to clean bug and bird splat on the 3M clear bra? I find that even short term contact leaves a etched image of the offending splat.

The non clear bra areas clean up easily with 3M hand glaze, followed by a quality wax like Zymol blue or griots paste wax. 3M also makes a Foam Polishing Pad Glaze -Dark which works very well on my Sapphire Black finish..

Has anyone found a brand of clear bra that stands up to the road blast along the door bottoms and side air intake edges?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Not sure about the 3M product. Are you sure you have 3M and not xpel. Xpel seems to wash up easily and any scuffs self heal.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
coffee -- Would you mind posting some pictures of your car? There are some pics on here of the Sapphire Black, but it seems like the Volcano colors in that it changes a lot depending on the light. What do you think of it? The pics I've seen of it in the sun are stellar.

Feel free to PM photos if you'd rather not post them in the open.

Thanks,

-Jamie.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Any advice of how to clean bug and bird splat on the 3M clear bra? I find that even short term contact leaves a etched image of the offending splat.

The non clear bra areas clean up easily with 3M hand glaze, followed by a quality wax like Zymol blue or griots paste wax. 3M also makes a Foam Polishing Pad Glaze -Dark which works very well on my Sapphire Black finish..

Has anyone found a brand of clear bra that stands up to the road blast along the door bottoms and side air intake edges?

Thanks for any advice.
Xpel, even Ventureshied will leave a mark if bird or bug splat is left on too long.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill post some photos shortly. Obviously I like the Sapphire black, and mine has two tone leather in espresso and tan with carbon fiber interior. Super light wheels, sport exhaust, iron brakes, and a few other options. The color seems black in sunlight, with a slight deep / dark blue. In fluorescent lights ( like my garage) it's more deep /dark blue. We wanted a long term car who's color was agreeable as we get older. We have owned "ticket me" colors in other vehicles, and found little sense awakening the Man from his donut haze.

The 12C color is nearly invisible on the highway, and I've yet to be pulled over. The 12c is excellent at all tasks, and we have driven it close to 1000 miles in a day in comfort. Trunk is limited for trips, but.......

The dark colors are a bit harder to keep spotless, but we think well worth the effort.

I was told the clear bra was a 3M but they may have been speaking generically. I will find out.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Ill post some photos shortly. Obviously I like the Sapphire black, and mine has two tone leather in espresso and tan with carbon fiber interior. Super light wheels, sport exhaust, iron brakes, and a few other options. The color seems black in sunlight, with a slight deep / dark blue. In fluorescent lights ( like my garage) it's more deep /dark blue. We wanted a long term car who's color was agreeable as we get older. We have owned "ticket me" colors in other vehicles, and found little sense awakening the Man from his donut haze.

The 12C color is nearly invisible on the highway, and I've yet to be pulled over. The 12c is excellent at all tasks, and we have driven it close to 1000 miles in a day in comfort. Trunk is limited for trips, but.......

The dark colors are a bit harder to keep spotless, but we think well worth the effort.

I was told the clear bra was a 3M but they may have been speaking generically. I will find out.
Sounds amazing! I'm fairly smitten with the Volcano Orange, but I agree completely on the points and merits of a more subtle color. There are several guys here with the various incarnations of black that McLaren offer, and they all look pretty good... That said, I really like the idea of Sapphire Black. I have yet to see it in person though, hence the ask for the pictures :D

I've had a few black cars in the past, and I completely understand the difficulty in keeping them spotless... I live in New Hampshire so this time of year is pretty brutal on any car that isn't the color of road salt :D

-Jamie.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I contacted Premier, thanks. Can someone tell me how to post photos off my iPad to this forum?

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I have 3M on 7 cars....Hot soapy water evey time. Along with Zymol Shampoo. For Track day marks rubber ect...a little WD40

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I contacted Premier, thanks. Can someone tell me how to post photos off my iPad to this forum?
Good decision. I have used MANY products and IMHO the PF1 is the best. All you do is spray and wipe if off. If it is tar then it take a bit more elbow grease but nothing like any of the other products. Just make sure you have some cheap medical latex gloves or else avoid skin contact. I was being too generous with the product initially and got it all over my hands. It caused a really bad contact dermatitis!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Can someone tell me how to post photos off my iPad to this forum?
coffee -- I'm not sure if it's different on an iPad, but from a PC, above the text box you type posts into, there is an icon that looks like a paperclip. If you click it, it brings up a secondary browser window and you can pick your files to upload from there. If you don't see it initially there should be a 'go advanced' button under the text window to bring up more options.

Hope this helps, and that it also works this way on an iPad :D

-Jamie.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Stoner make two products that I prefer to use, "Tarminator" & "Invisible Glass"...

First product to loosen/remove the stubborn offender, second product to clear any residue left over from the first. Sadly, local supply was stopped several years ago and I have now depleted my stock :(

Finding a decent alternative (locally) has proved unsuccessful. :mad:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You will need the Tapatalk app to post pics from your Ipad. You better cough up that $3.99 you scrooge!:D;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, just signed up with tapatalk for iPad , and still no easy way to post photos.....what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Ill post some photos shortly. Obviously I like the Sapphire black, and mine has two tone leather in espresso and tan with carbon fiber interior. Super light wheels, sport exhaust, iron brakes, and a few other options. The color seems black in sunlight, with a slight deep / dark blue. In fluorescent lights ( like my garage) it's more deep /dark blue.
sapphire black with 2 tone interior looks awesome. Clearly sir you are a man of good taste....;) any resemblance to my car purely coincidental to me having that opinion....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked at cars.com, then McLaren . It's surprising how many 12C are for resale. Lots of colors and options, only 1 sapphire black.

This ones a keeper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts