McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum. So, thank you in advance for any consideration you give my questions.

I am very seriously considering a 13 coupe (have one I am eyeing actually!) for daily driving and track stuff. I drove a 996 GT3 with stiffened suspension for 80k miles daily in MN (moved to LA) and also used it for track days 1-2x's a month in the summer - so I am cool with the sort of not great at either street or track. I also have raced everything from GT3 Cup cars to ALMS LMPC cars.

So, my questions are:
1) Can the 12C be modded to be a genuinely good track car (akin to an RS 4.0 or a Scud)?
2) Will the car hold up well to~10k miles year usage?
3) What options or mods should I get? (Assuming I would run a seperate set of rims and brake rotors/pads for track days)

Thanks again and sorry for the obviously uninitiated question!

Pat

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Hi Pat,there are members far more qualified to answer this question,but I would say its a great track car before you even start to modify it.As shown by one of our members KC who has a standard car (with the track pack rollcage and seats) dicing with a 430challenge on slicks and beating it!!! He states he has already done 7,000 trackmiles on his car.
So as you can see 10,000 combined miles would be a breeze,these cars are very robust in the engine and drivetrain department,so imo it would be just the car for you :)

·
Owner
166 Posts
The car can take it, I would opt for the track pack if your doing 50/50 road & track. Invest in another set of alloys with track tyres. Keep an eye on tyre pressures and oil levels. That's it, oh and turn TC off, as it can be intrusive.
I'm still on steel disc's and std pads.
I take various cars with me to track (996 GT3 RS Manthey & Porsche 997 GT3 Cup S), but always end up putting the McLaren on for a BIG thrill.

·
Registered
560 Posts
a stock 12c with the right driver should be able to beat GT3 4.0's and scuds at any track.
i use super sports on track and street and dont even change my wheels for track day..

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
FYI pkla, I'm not necessarily condoning this, but I have seen a 12C lowered (about 1 inch, software adjustment only) with corresponding alignment adjusted, with 18 inch wheels (ADV.1 I think) and Hoosier tires. The owner was VERY happy with the on-track performance and said grip and stability was phenomenal. I can concur that he was hauling ass around the track.

Again that is for info purposes only; I'm not sure if, or how, warranty would be affected.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The 12C is a great daily driver and an awesome car at the track.:cool:

But if you are looking for a serious track car, I believe a dedicated Radical, a Formula car or an older purposed built GT3-race spec car would suit the track addict better.:p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your responses - I confirmed the purchase today with the dealer!

I am very excited about the car! FWIW - it is a 2013 graphite with orange calipers car.

with respect to the points on more focused track cars - thank you and I agree. The thing is that I am no longer able to race (I did so for many years until a serious accident with a bus in 2012) and so I am not looking for another true race car - just something that will be truly fun and competent to take to the track a couple times a month!

Thx again!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Thank you all for your responses - I confirmed the purchase today with the dealer!

I am very excited about the car! FWIW - it is a 2013 graphite with orange calipers car.

with respect to the points on more focused track cars - thank you and I agree. The thing is that I am no longer able to race (I did so for many years until a serious accident with a bus in 2012) and so I am not looking for another true race car - just something that will be truly fun and competent to take to the track a couple times a month!

Thx again!
Be interesting to get your views on its track performance,nice to know you still have the urge even after a serious accident,congrats on your purchase !!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I read 16 hp somewhere. That was for Porsche though.

Anyone who can feel 16 hp can also tell the humidity and how much fuel is on board :)

Another issue is the condensation getting your back tires wet.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
crap, do they still put a belt on to drive the AC. There must be more efficient ways. AC is ripe to be powered off electric/battery for low/zero drive train impact. Wonder why this isnt being done...

Anyway, in the grand scheme of things, not that big a deal, unless it's Mac on Mac! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts