McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sponsor
1,403 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I noticed these are cone filters. I now have a 650s, and previously had a 570s. The drop in filters for my 570 were standard panel filters. Does the 650s only use these cone filters or are panel filters still an option? If either can be used, what do you prefer and why?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I noticed these are cone filters. I now have a 650s, and previously had a 570s. The drop in filters for my 570 were standard panel filters. Does the 650s only use these cone filters or are panel filters still an option? If either can be used, what do you prefer and why?
You cannot use panel filters on the 650s or 12C for that matter.

·
Registered
889 Posts
in terms of filtration, oem filters are superior until the bmc's get a bit dusty.
airflow on bmc may be slightly superior but no one has ever put numbers forth.
the fact that the same filters are used on the 675 would mean airflow is more than ample for 12c/650
the paper vs gauze filter has been ongoing for years on many enthusiast's forums.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't like cleaning filters, then having to wait for them to dry. During this time the car has to be on the rack and is costing time and money. In my case, I don't drive in dusty conditions (not many people drive these cars in the dirt) so the filters stay fairly clean for over a year, 10K miles service, oil, filters...basic maintenance.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Don’t know if this is the case for Mac’s too but coming from a 911 turbo many Porsche owners had issues with BMC filters fouling the mass airflow sensors.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Don’t know if this is the case for Mac’s too but coming from a 911 turbo many Porsche owners had issues with BMC filters fouling the mass airflow sensors.
This has been a reoccurring complaint with this type of filter. I don't understand why anyone would try to save money on the, relatively cheap (in McLaren terms), OEM filters.

·
Registered
889 Posts
fouling the sensor stems from over oiling the filters. as they come new in the box,the amount of oil is negligible and cannot migrate via airflow to contaminate sensors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts