McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a 2012 12C with 16k miles. It's time for me to do my 8th-year major service and my extended service contract renewal. I was quoted $3500 for the service and $6000 for the 1-year renewal by Mclaren Scottsdale. Do these numbers sound right to everyone? It's my first service and renewal since I purchased it and it seemed a little high so I thought I'd ask. Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hey all, I have a 2012 12C with 16k miles. It's time for me to do my 8th-year major service and my extended service contract renewal. I was quoted $3500 for the service and $6000 for the 1-year renewal by Mclaren Scottsdale. Do these numbers sound right to everyone? It's my first service and renewal since I purchased it and it seemed a little high so I thought I'd ask. Thanks all!
The service cost sounds high, although it may include some mileage related transmission fluid changes. I'd ask them for a breakdown of the cost. I'd expect a small discount, but, from my experience, wouldn't expect that much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The service cost sounds high, although it may include some mileage related transmission fluid changes. I'd ask them for a breakdown of the cost. I'd expect a small discount, but, from my experience, wouldn't expect that much.
Yeah from the list out of services included over the phone it did not sound like it would include transmission fluid. I heard engine oil, brake fluid flush, cabin filters, and windshield wiper replacement (I opted out of that which technically brought it to 3400). He said transmission servicing is at 20k miles so I am a little way out from that. I was just looking at everyone else's 4th-year service which is technically the same service and that seems to be significantly cheaper from what I read.

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
749 Posts
Those prices are extremely high. Do yourself a favor and find a local independent that is well versed in exotics and supercars to perform these basic services.

If you brought your 12C to my shop you could expect prices like this:

399.00 Engine Oil Service
250.00 Brake Fluid Flush
300.00 Replace both Engine Air Filters
100.00 Replace Cabin Air Filter

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those prices are extremely high. Do yourself a favor and find a local independent that is well versed in exotics and supercars to perform these basic services.

250.00 Brake Fluid Flush
Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression to keep your McLaren extended service contract you have to go to them to get your services.. once I can't renew that anymore I was thinking I would either move onto a 570 or find an independent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Way too high. There are plenty of good indy shops in Scottsdale. I use Highline European. If you plan on keeping the car longer, get a 3rd party warranty. I paid $10k for 5 years and they'll probably cover more than what McLaren does at this point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Way too high. There are plenty of good indy shops in Scottsdale. I use Highline European. If you plan on keeping the car longer, get a 3rd party warranty. I paid $10k for 5 years and they'll probably cover more than what McLaren does at this point.
I've heard good things about Highline European. Who do people go through for their 3rd party warranty? I guess my only thing was thinking about resale value and being able to show service records at McLaren as well as their warranty. I've had good experience with their warranty so far replacing "wear-items" like tpms sensors etc but thinking about 10k a year for "servicing" just to keep the car on the road seems quite ridiculous when it has had no issues.

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
749 Posts
The cost of the McLaren warranty has gotten to be too expensive. You could pocket the warranty cost and self insure. This in many cases would be to your advantage.

Please note there would be the possibility of a catastrophic event that could cause you to lose in this example, but statistically most owners adopting this model would save money.

The self insurance model is increasingly more cost effective if you are using independent (cheaper) repair labor than the dealer.

In the end each owner must decide where their comfort level is for the potential cost of ownership. I have found that my cost of ownership over a span of six different McLaren MP4-12C's and nearly 5 years has been dramatically lower by self insuring vs the Manufactures expensive annual warranty. But I'm also the mechanic for my cars and I provide the labor for free, and the parts are sourced at the lowest prices possible (i.e. not thru the dealer when possible)

If you have not found it, explore the McLaren P11 DIY THREAD below and you will find dozens of HOW-TO's, REPLACEMENT PARTS at LOWER COST (usually 1/10th the price at the dealer!), DIY SOLUTIONS, REPAIR GUIDES and MORE. If you find something new, please contribute to the thread!

Of course wishing you the greatest outcome of your ownership experience with the lowest cost possible. Use the DIY info shared coupled with a good independent mechanic and you can be assured of a lower cost of operation as well. Of course anyone can do this!

Reactions: rnixon

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C and 2018 720S
17 Posts
For the little my two cents are worth, I will only have McLaren service my vehicle because I like having the ability to hold them accountable for the work. It's why I also use licensed plumbers instead of cheap labor - at some point, saving money is really expensive.

With that said, check out Freedom Warranty Co. I think the cost is around $5k for 5-7 years coverage, it's highly inclusive, and gives you up to $20k in coverage. At 16k miles, anything that was likely to break has already broken, so I'm not sure the warranty is going to be money well-spent. I would, however, see if you can negotiate the 8-year service and keep it with McLaren. Those service records are also important, and it's a significant service to McLaren corp.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
With that said, check out Freedom Warranty Co. I think the cost is around $5k for 5-7 years coverage, it's highly inclusive, and gives you up to $20k in coverage.
What claims experience do you have with them?

I have an ESC for major items, mainly the engine and transaxle. $20k wouldn't cover a new engine, so defeats my purpose of having this insurance - I'd self-insure if I weren't concerned about engine / transaxle issues..

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C and 2018 720S
17 Posts

I have an ESC for major items, mainly the engine and transaxle. $20k wouldn't cover a new engine, so defeats my purpose of having this insurance - I'd self-insure if I weren't concerned about engine / transaxle issues..
I haven't used them, but a buddy of mine did all the legwork and they were the best he was able to find. I'll ask about what his claims experience was, but no, it sounds like it isn't going to cover enough of your risk-tolerance to be worthwhile.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I use Freedom Warranty. They covered a broken engine brace, mounts, and water pump for me. $7k total in parts and labor. That was the only claim I've filed with them and the car has been bulletproof ever since. Kyle at Highline is also incredibly competent and reasonable with pricing for annual services and maintenance items.

·
Registered
46 Posts

250.00 Brake Fluid Flush
Thanks for the info from an independent shop perspective. I was quoted $2800 for the same service and could not stomach paying that much. Unfortunately your shop is 12 hours away, but my one question is how do you deal with the service reminder? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
749 Posts
Thanks for the info from an independent shop perspective. I was quoted $2800 for the same service and could not stomach paying that much. Unfortunately your shop is 12 hours away, but my one question is how do you deal with the service reminder? Thanks!
At this time the service reminder remains. The easy work around is to just change the date back to a previous year in the instrument cluster and the reminder goes away. :)

Reactions: NOLA12C and hdho1

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In case anyone was curious I have decided to explore 3rd party warranty options and getting it serviced at Highline European in Scottdale AZ. After chatting with Kyle at Highline he recommended I get a quote from Freedom for a warranty. I spoke with a local AZ agent for them (Jason) who was an awesome guy to deal with. Since I am still under warranty with McLaren he was able to get me their 6 years top-tier plan with a $0 deductible and 100k mile restriction for $6985 which I thought was an incredible deal. I am still going to look at the exclusion list which from what I've heard is very minimal. For anyone that is looking to own one of these out of warranty, this is definitely a great option.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I’ve had a bunch of work done on different cars by Kyle from Highline European. Have nothing but good things to say about them.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
25 Posts
I would like to take a moment and vouch for Corsa Motorsports. They are the preferred shop for our supercar group in PHX area.

I've heard good things about Highline and actually bought brakes for my old R8 from them. Let us know how it goes!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts