McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Interesting discussion on Lambopower. 60-130 done in 6.68s which monsters anything unmodified this side of a Veyron. 458 wouldn't see which way it went!

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66346&st=0
LOL, why you keep insisting on making comparisons against a car that is 50-200 lbs. heavier, depending on how it is optioned, and has 55 less hp is beyond me. It is quite obvious that the 12C is faster than the 458 in any drag race, and any race from a roll.

Before the Version 10 upgrade the Aventador was a little faster than the 12C. Big deal, still bought the 12C. 12C is faster than 458, big deal, still have a 458 coming.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
LOL, why you keep insisting on making comparisons against a car that is 50-200 lbs. heavier, depending on how it is optioned, and has 55 less hp is beyond me. It is quite obvious that the 12C is faster than the 458 in any drag race, and any race from a roll.

Before the Version 10 upgrade the Aventador was a little faster than the 12C. Big deal, still bought the 12C. 12C is faster than 458, big deal, still have a 458 coming.
Well, because it's interesting for those of us that own and drive a 12C, that's why.
It's really quite simple.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
That's a very interesting thread. Those guys are serious about their vbox 60-130 timing. I didn't realize that so many people timed those kind of runs. Also, are they talking about our very own Texas Mongrel in the half mile?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Well, because it's interesting for those of us that own and drive a 12C, that's why.
It's really quite simple.
Yes it's interesting, but throwing the little 458 dig in was what I was commenting about, not the actual numbers. Simple enough for you? :cool:

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Yes it's interesting, but throwing the little 458 dig in was what I was commenting about, not the actual numbers. Simple enough for you? :cool:
LOL, don't sweat it, Mark. Considering the barrage of ---- some of us early forum owners had to endure from trolls boasting about phoney press car numbers, the dig is more than justified. I hope your 458 is just as fast when it arrives. ;)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
LOL, don't sweat it, Mark. Considering the barrage of ---- some of us early forum owners had to endure from trolls boasting about phoney press car numbers, the dig is more than justified. I hope your 458 is just as fast when it arrives. ;)
Me to. I told the Sales Manager at Tonkin to make sure and tell Ferrari that I want the 492 whp tune that the Road & Track car had. And that I would be dynoing the car when it arrived. No 492 whp, the car goes back. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhOU9uOtAWI 6:48 on time

I know the 12C is made in England, and the British Owner's have a strong love for the car because it is made there. Just give it a rest, I live in the U.S.A. and could care less that the ZR1 and Viper are made here. I buy what I like, could care less where it is made.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Me to. I told the Sales Manager at Tonkin to make sure and tell Ferrari that I want the 492 whp tune that the Road & Track car had. And that I would be dynoing the car when it arrived. No 492 whp, the car goes back. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhOU9uOtAWI 6:48 on time

I know the 12C is made in England, and the British Owner's have a strong love for the car because it is made there. Just give it a rest, I live in the U.S.A. and could care less that the ZR1 and Viper are made here. I buy what I like, could care less where it is made.
I don't live in the UK and was not implying that nationality had anything at all to do with it.

By the way, you are wasting your time with the dyno ultimatum. You need to tell your dealer you want it delivered on tires made from the same compound as the press car. Let me know what he says!! :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I don't live in the UK and was not implying that nationality had anything at all to do with it.

By the way, you are wasting your time with the dyno ultimatum. You need to tell your dealer you want it delivered on tires made from the same compound as the press car. Let me know what he says!! :)
Well the press car came with Pilot Super Sports from what I understand. I have told him I do not want the Pirelli tires, only Pilot Super Sports. 458's can come with either, but I believe after 2012 they come with the Michelin's.

Doesn't really matter, neither car will be tracked, and who in the heck am I going to let drive which car to run a comparison? Certainly not the wife, she is not that good of a driver. Will have to use my butt dyno! :D Two completely different cars that will be used by me in different ways.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Well the press car came with Pilot Super Sports from what I understand. I have told him I do not want the Pirelli tires, only Pilot Super Sports. 458's can come with either, but I believe after 2012 they come with the Michelin's.

Doesn't really matter, neither car will be tracked, and who in the heck am I going to let drive which car to run a comparison? Certainly not the wife, she is not that good of a driver. Will have to use my butt dyno! :D Two completely different cars that will be used by me in different ways.
Pirellis or Michelins, doesn't matter. Like I said it is the compound and I was being sarcastic, since you'll never get the press car tires anyway. And I'm not talking about shaved tread, for the trolls about to launch their tirades. I'm talking about super soft compounds, the kind of tires that stick themselves to dyno rollers like Harris said, or leave long black skid marks exiting corners like in one Evo test. Just saying, Mark, if you really care about your 458 performing like the R&T car, you'll need the rubber in addition to the HP. :)

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I think the original post is a very fair comment - I read a lot of forums and there are still Ferrari lemmings out there who refuse to recognize just how quick the 12C really is in comparison to the 458. It's not about taking a dig at Ferrari -- it's about getting those people to wake up to reality.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I think the original post is a very fair comment - I read a lot of forums and there are still Ferrari lemmings out there who refuse to recognize just how quick the 12C really is in comparison to the 458. It's not about taking a dig at Ferrari -- it's about getting those people to wake up to reality.

>8^)
ER
It's you who don't recognize that Ferrari Lover's could care less. It's more than 0-60 times or 60-130 times. I could mod my 996 GT2 and blow the 12C's time away. Or I could buy a twin turbo Gallardo, R8 or modified Ford GT. Listen to what Steve Millen said, the Ferrari is "Fun, just Fun." There is still a thread on the Ferrarichat.com website about the GTR. None of them would trade their Ferrari, even an older one for the GTR.

Now some of them have both a Ferrari and a GTR, and recognize the positive qualities in both cars. Having both the 12C and 458 will satisfy two completely different needs for me. Each one has qualities better than the other, but in the end, they are both great cars period.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
It's you who don't recognize the Ferrari Lover's could care less.
That naive statement is repeated so often, especially when it is convenient. In fact, the opposite is true. Ferrari knows its customers are so insecure about their car's reputation for being the fastest, that they will go to the utmost lengths to make sure the car is always represented as such. Ferrari fans are the first to boast and brag when they win and the first to say "it's about more than speed" when they don't.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
That naive statement is repeated so often, especially when it is convenient. In fact, the opposite is true. Ferrari knows its customers are so insecure about their car's reputation for being the fastest, that they will go to the utmost lengths to make sure the car is always represented as such. Ferrari fans are the first to boast and brag when they win and the first to say "it's about more than speed" when they don't.
Not true, you need to spend more time on F-Chat. I don't post there anymore, but I do read many threads on that site to keep entertained and informed since it has more activity than F-life.com.

Anyone insecure can send their 458 to Underground Racing, and some have. Read the GTR thread in the 360/430 section first before saying that Ferrari owners are insecure. For example, my SV is quite a bit faster than my Scuderia coupe, but when I decide to go for a drive, 9 times out of 10 I grab the keys to the Scuderia. Why, because of the way it drives and the way it makes me feel, and the RSC exhaust certainly help because that thing sounds wicked.

Why don't I drive my 996GT2 more, because a Turbo Porsche is not exciting! It feels very light, is tricky to drive at the limits, etc., etc., but it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, and I don't like doing housework.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I think the same stands true when the Italian soccer doesn't win the World Cup or the Euro for that matter. The Italians are a proud bunch and I think that pride has rubbed off on the owners of Ferrari's. Hey there's nothing wrong with being proud, by all means there is a time to admit to defeat. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Not true, you need to spend more time on F-Chat. I don't post there anymore, but I do read many threads on that site to keep entertained and informed since it has more activity than F-life.com.

Anyone insecure can send their 458 to Underground Racing, and some have. Read the GTR thread in the 360/430 section first before saying that Ferrari owners are insecure. For example, my SV is quite a bit faster than my Scuderia coupe, but when I decide to go for a drive, 9 times out of 10 I grab the keys to the Scuderia. Why, because of the way it drives and the way it makes me feel, and the RSC exhaust certainly help because that thing sounds wicked.

Why don't I drive my 996GT2 more, because a Turbo Porsche is not exciting! It feels very light, is tricky to drive at the limits, etc., etc., but it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, and I don't like doing housework.
Regardless, the company obviously feels that being considered the fastest is essential for their customers, or they wouldn't go to a track before a magazine test to optimize the car, on top of everything else. So whether customers admit it, or not, that is how they are being played by the company.

Anyway, back on topic, nice to see a customer vbox some impressive numbers. I like knowing I got what was advertised. The graph says it all. Bloody fast car!

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I think the same stands true when the Italian soccer doesn't win the World Cup or the Euro for that matter. The Italians are a proud bunch and I think that pride has rubbed off on the owners of Ferrari's. Hey there's nothing wrong with being proud, by all means there is a time to admit to defeat. Cheers.....??
You could be right but I have no problem with Italians or Italy, in general. All jokes aside, one of my favourite countries to visit and I'm a fan of much Italian art, architecture and industrial design throughout history. Oh, and the food! I agree all nations should have pride and humility in equal measure. :)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
You could be right but I have no problem with Italians or Italy, in general. All jokes aside, one of my favourite countries to visit and I'm a fan of much Italian art, architecture and industrial design throughout history. Oh, and the food! I agree all nations should have pride and humility in equal measure. :)
Well I must admit that I love Italy as well for numerous reasons, the most important being the fact that my wife is Italian or should I say Calabrese. Cincin.......??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Regardless, the company obviously feels that being considered the fastest is essential for their customers, or they wouldn't go to a track before a magazine test to optimize the car, on top of everything else. So whether customers admit it, or not, that is how they are being played by the company.

Anyway, back on topic, nice to see a customer vbox some impressive numbers. I like knowing I got what was advertised. The graph says it all. Bloody fast car!
Question though. What tires are required to get the published numbers on the 12C, the normal PZero's, or PZero Corsa's?

Was goofing around on Youtube.com the other day, and was disappointed that a 12C ran mid to high 11's, but still managed over 130mph in the 1/4 mile.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts