McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got may car back (serial number 1437, had the power upgrade before delivery last October). Let me start by saying that I'll share my opinion, but am more interested in yours.
They took care of my issues (fogging, the broken brake pad I described earlier, and a driver's window that didn't close perfectly at high speeds), and then the "latest and greatest" upgrade.

It definitely feels quicker. My sense is that they changed the throttle mapping, and the transmission mapping. It seems to kick down quicker, definitely a more-pronounced throttle blip in Sport and Track downshifts, and holds a higher rpm longer before upshifting in Sport/Auto. If I had a Porsche and sent the ecu out for an upgrade, I'd be pleased. The car is definitely quicker in daily driving. They do reset the sound generator ( to 2 bars in sport, and 3 bars in track), so I needed to reset that downward.

If anyone has details, or another opinion, please let us know. It cost $1500, but in performance terms, feels like a bargain. AS

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks Chris. I have 12.0 and didn't notice a difference from 10.2, 10.6. Perhaps there are some new tunes in 12.2?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Got the latest updates a few weeks back and no difference at all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I could be wrong. My upgrade was 12.0 (dealer unaware of 12.2 in the US). I called when I felt there was a difference, and dealer service rep confirmed there were remaps in throttle and shift. The change in the downshift blip is very noticeable, and not explained by anything other than a remap. The performance change is definitely subjective, so i could be hallucinating, but this would be the first time. The gear hold in Sport-Auto is also very different. If you accelerate up into fourth gear, it doesn't upshift to 5th when I hold steady throttle. I'll drive it tomorrow, and see if I can be more definite. AS

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I got the new software last week and the auto mode is definitely been a little tweeked.. for example on the motorway which is the only time I really use it, the kickdown is quicker even in normal mode... its a further refinement no doubt about it.... just took me a while to work out how to check the oil ... foot on the brake required...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had my annual done last month. $4,900, including a set or Corsa tires. Altogether, it feels like a new car - very much like the platform 10 upgrade from last year. The new rubber is amazing. I've driven it 10k miles and this was the first tire change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts