McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I can't wait for May to arrive, so I can enjoy the car as much as you are. Two thumbs up?? and Cheers?to your enthusiasm towards the McLaren.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have managed 4,000 miles and have yet to get the update but I have a blast driving this beast. Most onlookers still have no idea what kind of car it is.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
like your new status 6th,are you changing it when the winter tyres go on:D
They're on already andy and to tell you the truth for most day to day driving the ride is not considerably worse than the std p zeros... not sure if that means the sotto zeros are very good or the opposite regarding the p zero.. :eek:

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have managed 4,000 miles and have yet to get the update but I have a blast driving this beast. Most onlookers still have no idea what kind of car it is.
True story, earlier that day a bike courier pulled up beside me and was chattering into his walkie talkie.... "yeah, I'm standing in front of it right now.. I know... yep, geez I betcha I'm looking at what, probably 600 grand.. must be nice." I was gonna tell him, but alas the light turned green.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congratulations on the miles! A real driver :-0 As a potential new owner I'd like to understand if you have had any problems with the car over the miles you have driven? Am I sane to contemplate this car as opposed to a 458?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Congratulations on the miles! A real driver :-0 As a potential new owner I'd like to understand if you have had any problems with the car over the miles you have driven? Am I sane to contemplate this car as opposed to a 458?

Thanks for any advice!
No I don't think your insane, if you buy the Ferrari I would say your insane. Well maybe not insane, that's to ha

·
Registered
8 Posts
I should have introduced myself first guys.. I'm a long time exotic car guy, who has majored in Ferrari's up till recently. I'm really taken by the Mc4-12c (Despite the "name") but have a 458 on order. The more I look at the McLaren the more I like it (Yes I have driven one and loved it) However I can only ever afford one exotic at a time and yes the residual value is important to me, not because I don't expect to loose money, more that I'd prefer to minimize how much I loose (Call me old fashioned)

My Ferraris have always been either new or nearly new and very reliable (I put relatively low milage on them (Couple of thousand per year) so that helps) In fact with the exception of a bad battery on a car in 2006 I've never had any issues (Lucky?)

So this gets back to my question on reliability, especially for someone who has done 10k miles already. I love the fact that these cars are getting driven and I'd like to do the same BUT I do want reliability.. (I know I'm fussy) I have a friend who drive a Maserati and It's almost constantly in the shop for maintenance - Thats not for me!

Having seen some of the comments on the forum regarding residuals I have to say thats also worrying - I guess there is no real preowned market yet so prices are all over the place, but I'm seeing some really aggressive price offers as I've been shopping for cars which gives me some cause for concern :)

Again thanks for any comments/feedback :D

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I should have introduced myself first guys.. I'm a long time exotic car guy, who has majored in Ferrari's up till recently. I'm really taken by the Mc4-12c (Despite the "name") but have a 458 on order. The more I look at the McLaren the more I like it (Yes I have driven one and loved it) However I can only ever afford one exotic at a time and yes the residual value is important to me, not because I don't expect to loose money, more that I'd prefer to minimize how much I loose (Call me old fashioned)

My Ferraris have always been either new or nearly new and very reliable (I put relatively low milage on them (Couple of thousand per year) so that helps) In fact with the exception of a bad battery on a car in 2006 I've never had any issues (Lucky?)

So this gets back to my question on reliability, especially for someone who has done 10k miles already. I love the fact that these cars are getting driven and I'd like to do the same BUT I do want reliability.. (I know I'm fussy) I have a friend who drive a Maserati and It's almost constantly in the shop for maintenance - Thats not for me!

Having seen some of the comments on the forum regarding residuals I have to say thats also worrying - I guess there is no real preowned market yet so prices are all over the place, but I'm seeing some really aggressive price offers as I've been shopping for cars which gives me some cause for concern :)

Again thanks for any comments/feedback :D
Thanks for the intro post, FD, that definitely helps frame your request.

My car has been extremely reliable, with nothing serious beyond the official campaigns by McLaren to fix the well-publicized new-car "niggles". For example, the horn stopped working one day. It was a known issue and fixed promptly by the dealer under warranty. There are some members here who have had more than their fair share of issues, like any car I suppose, but overall I think one would have to say reliability has been excellent. McLaren has been expedient in addressing most issues that have come up, the result being that the new cars coming off the line are better and better out of the box. What is unique about McLaren is that they are still continuously developing the car. This pertains to both performance and quality. Long story short, the early adopters were the guinea pigs; as a result, somebody taking delivery of a 12C today (or even buying a used one with all updates/campaigns already carried out) should be getting a very reliable car.

Regarding residuals, I suppose the argument for the Ferrari is that, well, it's a Ferrari. That said, my personal opinion is that you're on the wrong end of the 458's production run if you are worried about residuals. The number of 458s on the market is probably increasing steadily, against the backdrop of a 458 Scud on the way and the 458's replacement also coming in 2015. Like the 430 and 360 before it, the 458 probably follows a steeper depreciation curve for the next few years. But again, it's a Ferrari so if you are the type to worry about those things, you will get a certain level of comfort based on that alone.

The argument for the McLaren is that despite an initial inventory build-up (probably mostly due to speculators), ultimately the production numbers will be far fewer than the Ferrari and as of now, the factory is building coupes to order only. Too early to say if this will firm up residuals, but it is most likely a step in the right direction. Myself, I'm not one to worry about residuals, as I simply buy the cars I like, but my very honest opinion is that 4 years from now, a 2013 12C and 2013 458 will be within several thousand dollars of each other. The depreciation curve for each may not overlap exactly, but in the end I think they end up roughly in the exact same place. Now, for the very long term (if one was to care about that) then I think the low volume and especially the carbon chassis of the McLaren work in its favour. But, that is really crystal ball gazing!

I hope those comments help. Those are my unbiased thoughts. If you want my biased thoughts, I have plenty of those, too! :) Let us know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the great information! Thats just what I was after :) I realize all this is crystal ball glazing ... but thats the way I make these decisions (Kind of sad really LOL)

Thanks for the intro post, FD, that definitely helps frame your request.

My car has been extremely reliable, with nothing serious beyond the official campaigns by McLaren to fix the well-publicized new-car "niggles". For example, the horn stopped working one day. It was a known issue and fixed promptly by the dealer under warranty. There are some members here who have had more than their fair share of issues, like any car I suppose, but overall I think one would have to say reliability has been excellent. McLaren has been expedient in addressing most issues that have come up, the result being that the new cars coming off the line are better and better out of the box. What is unique about McLaren is that they are still continuously developing the car. This pertains to both performance and quality. Long story short, the early adopters were the guinea pigs; as a result, somebody taking delivery of a 12C today (or even buying a used one with all updates/campaigns already carried out) should be getting a very reliable car.

Regarding residuals, I suppose the argument for the Ferrari is that, well, it's a Ferrari. That said, my personal opinion is that you're on the wrong end of the 458's production run if you are worried about residuals. The number of 458s on the market is probably increasing steadily, agains the backdrop of a 458 Scud on the way and the 458's replacement also coming in 2015. Like the 430 and 360 before it, the 458 probably follows a steeper depreciation curve for the next few years. But again, it's a Ferrari so if you are the type to worry about those things, you will get a certain level of comfort based on that alone.

The argument for the McLaren is that despite an initial inventory build-up (probably mostly due to speculators), ultimately the production numbers will be far fewer than the Ferrari and as of now, the factory is building coupes to order only. Too early to say if this will firm up residuals, but it is most likely a step in the right direction. Myself, I'm not one to worry about residuals, as I simply buy the cars I like, but my very honest opinion is that 4 years from now, a 2013 12C and 2013 458 will be within several thousand dollars of each other. The depreciation curve for each may not overlap exactly, but in the end I think they end up roughly in the exact same place. Now, for the very long term (if one was to care about that) then I think the low volume and especially the carbon chassis of the McLaren work in its favour. But, that is really crystal ball gazing!

I hope those comments help. Those are my unbiased thoughts. If you want my biased thoughts, I have plenty of those, too! :) Let us know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Considering how much you've driven it already 6th I may just be able to afford to buy yours once you're done with it as the mileage should be quite high.... :p

It's always good to see someone who can afford a car like this actually drive it and drive it ALOT :D

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Considering how much you've driven it already 6th I may just be able to afford to buy yours once you're done with it as the mileage should be quite high.... :p

It's always good to see someone who can afford a car like this actually drive it and drive it ALOT :D
Cheers, Mitch. Hypermac and a few others have me beat for outright mileage, so you might want to keep tabs on their cars for resale, too! My commute to work is only about 15km, but I do drive the 12C almost every single day. Which is remarkable given the seasons we have, here. The only time I leave it in the garage is if there is significant snow accumulation or it is raining heavily. Even then, it's not the 12C I am worried about, but rather other drivers mis-judging their braking distances, etc.

Must admit, many days I do pinch myself when I realize my daily driver is a McLaren. That is a pretty special situation. But honestly, it's only possible because the car does it all so effectively and I have so much fun doing it. Plus I know that whatever is going on that day, it won't be long before I'm back behind the wheel of not just any car, but practically the fastest car available today. That is pretty cool, too.

There is a downside, for me, which is that the McLaren has literally spoiled me. I don't find any other car nearly interesting enough in terms of capabilities and breadth of character. I used to spend hours on the autotrader sites, fantasizing about the collection of supercars I will build and taking them all out in turn over the weekend. Now I look at a few listings and talk myself out of everything on the fear that they will all be too one-dimensional. So that kinda sucks. I think what I will end up doing is always keeping a Mac for a daily and part-time track car and then just buy racecars for the hobby stuff. At least that is my thought today!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Mine will be available when the wheels fall off and the seat is worn through....

I totally agree with 6E about the 12C spoiling me. ANY other car I've driven, Porsche, Aston, Ferrari*, Lambo... they're just... slower. I love cars. I want more cars. And then I go drive them and blah.

*except for the 458 Spider. That's an awesome car. So I did order one of those :~)>

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I totally agree with 6E about the 12C spoiling me. ANY other car I've driven, Porsche, Aston, Ferrari*, Lambo... they're just... slower. I love cars. I want more cars. And then I go drive them and blah.
I drove an Aston DBS; felt like a tank. A buddy's GT3 RS; the ride was complete shite. Test drove an R8 V10; sooooo slow. The list goes on...

Maybe P13 will be an interesting addition. I will definitely consider it if the exterior dimensions are smaller than the 12C. I'd love an even smaller, even more nimble Mac. That could get me excited. If there is any P1 design language, which I believe there will be, I'm sure it's going to look wicked.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts