McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my car a bit over a week ago.

Car had 2013 update done, but not the first service.

Have an appointment to take it to local dealer tomorrow. I can't find in the manual exactly what gets done on this service interval, so I asked the service advisor when I made the appointment.

Replace oil, filter, and one lousy windshield wiper? Also mentioned there is a thorough inspection done on the car. Said all this takes about 6 hours.

Ok fine. But...... only this being done for a whopping $1,700 US dollars?!?!?! :eek:
I had my Scuderia 3 year service which changed and / or flushed ALL fluids and filters for something like $1,300.

Wtf are they really doing for it to cost this much? Is there more to it, or just the price to doing business with this brand? :confused:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Of my £1200 cost, £800 was labour...
Included also is a full geometry check on the car, also even if not needed is the ISG valve..

I have mentioned that I'm not at all impressed with the service charges in comparison to other manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Picked up my car a bit over a week ago.

Car had 2013 update done, but not the first service.

Have an appointment to take it to local dealer tomorrow. I can't find in the manual exactly what gets done on this service interval, so I asked the service advisor when I made the appointment.

Replace oil, filter, and one lousy windshield wiper? Also mentioned there is a thorough inspection done on the car. Said all this takes about 6 hours.

Ok fine. But...... only this being done for a whopping $1,700 US dollars?!?!?! :eek:
I had my Scuderia 3 year service which changed and / or flushed ALL fluids and filters for something like $1,300.

Wtf are they really doing for it to cost this much? Is there more to it, or just the price to doing
business with this brand? :confused:
So just tell them to change the oil. I had a few Ferrari Dealers try me on. All those checks are BS for the most part on low mile new cars. ISG valve, lol, I have mine turned off. Wait until next year, then have a more thorough inspection done. Anything happens, car is still under warranty.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Of my £1200 cost, £800 was labour...
Included also is a full geometry check on the car, also even if not needed is the ISG valve..

I have mentioned that I'm not at all impressed with the service charges in comparison to other manufacturers.
Gary, we all know service costs are a rip off.......Halford retail 5 litres of fully synthetic oil for £15 as do Tesco. The mclaren cost is astronomical but they are in it to make a profit.

With 100 cars requiring service in year one + at say £1000 each then the £100k revenue hardly covers the overhead but in year two when 200 cars require service, 50% at £2000 plus then a decent return occurs. Thus it is the low volume that drives pricing structure and the owners deep pockets.

I do think the service response and commitment is very good.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if I skip the first year service it won't void my warranty?
Of course it will.
If all they are really doing is changing the oil, I do not believe just having the oil and filter changed could void the warranty in any way. I will talk to the Service advisor in detail about this when I drop the car off shortly.
I'll report back with the outcome. ;)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I think the biggest cost element is the ISG, seems crazy to design something that might wear out or break in a year! My dealer said its changed due to concerns over engine fumes entering the cockpit....seems like BS to me.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Wheel bolts get changed every 2 years! :eek:

·
Registered
964 Posts
RIC, I agree the service response is very good- but then again I've had to test it enough times!:eek:

It's back in for rear tyres (which they were very good on the price after a bit of asking:))
Whilst it's there they are going to fit new bolts to the belly pan following them falling out whilst on the Ring trip! and this after collecting it from its 1st service- come on!!:mad: £800 labour and they can't tighten bolts:confused:

I'm more annoyed as it was one of the questions that I asked when buying the car- what's it's service costs?, it was mentioned it was comparable with Porsche service prices... which they're not.!.
That and the fact the Italian machine would have no service costs unless my wheel did fall off ;)

I fully understand the economics of the services cost and to maintain the dealership etc and as a stand alone the service costs on a car like this I could say are expected. however learning that the car is a yearly and not bi as the porkers was gained through the service manual (I know I know- I read it :eek: ) is somewhat tainted my expectations..
Whether they see the return of customers for the 2 year service to get the payback, I'm not sure? - I'm no longer convinced mine will be with me for the two year service and at that cost of £2500 on what may have the residuals of a moderate Porsche it looks like a good time to let it go..

On the upside, I've found an excellent route to the dealership that doesn't include any motorways :D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Gary, good points. It's undeniably expensive to service.

Take a look at the new 911 GT3, seriously fast and 'only' £105k........but it is the same Porker style........boring, boring, boring.......but fun to sit in and drive?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The way I usually service is annual: Oil change. Semi-Annual - All fluids including coolant, transmission, differential, etc.

Anything more is ridiculous, unless you have a car that needs the valves adjusted. My SV will need it's valves adjusted at 8k miles, but probably won't get there for another 2 years.

·
Owner
893 Posts
I'd love to see McLaren deny a warranty because someone did not change synthetic oil that had less than maybe 1200 miles 'use on it' (many cars being sold don't have much mileage, it seems). They'd be laughed out of the courtroom, if they tried denial .

·
Registered
207 Posts
So if I skip the first year service it won't void my warranty?
Hi,
Actually, i asked this very question myself. "What if I skipped the 1st year of service, will it void my warranty?". McLaren manager said, "No, but why wouldnt you?".

I dont think Ill even put 1k mile on it 1st year is the reason I asked this. If i was putting 5k or more, id do service for sure every year. Im still debating on this one. Do they do software updates during the service if and when they become available during service?

Can someone else confirm if this will or will not for sure?
lc

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
All the current software updates are done at service,so I guess you would miss out if you left it for 2 years between services :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
All the current software updates are done at service,so I guess you would miss out if you left it for 2 years between services :)
If this is the case, then it makes sense to do it yearly, but not just for oil/filter.
Even with a software update, if its a minor update, id prob skip it.
lc

·
Registered
359 Posts
Good idea!! You didn't see the 458 that lost a wheel at the Ring when we were there:eek:
Don't forget Russell this car is meant to be tracked :cool:
Did the bolts break or simply bad maintenance? :(

I have no problem with changing the bolts at 2 years if that is their life, just seems it could be an issue if an owner skips getting a service and then looses a wheel at speed. What happens 5 - 10 years down the line when cars are outside the McLaren service network? Or perhaps they don't really have a 2 year life. ;)

·
Owner
893 Posts
So why not just bring the car in (under the warranty) and say you hear a rattle and ..... "Oh, by the way, can you please update my car with the latest updates". What are they going to do?? Are they refuse to do it unless you 'buy something' ??????:mad:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts