McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Owner
893 Posts
How can production cars get any lower (0-60) than we are currently at ??
1) These accelerative forces are reaching the top of normal healthy human tolerances for 'G-LOC'.
2) Governments, always looking to restrict things, will probably start to mandate these 0-whatever numbers; citing safety as an issue, they way they do with everything else in our lives.
The average body is not built to deal with the magnitude of high g-forces. It can be 'trainable' (fighter pilots,etc.), BUT that varies greatly between individuals and is very dependent on health issues (blood pressure, and the like).
:)

·
Owner
277 Posts
How can production cars get any lower (0-60) than we are currently at ??
1) These accelerative forces are reaching the top of normal healthy human tolerances for 'G-LOC'.
2) Governments, always looking to restrict things, will probably start to mandate these 0-whatever numbers; citing safety as an issue, they way they do with everything else in our lives.
The average body is not built to deal with the magnitude of high g-forces. It can be 'trainable' (fighter pilots,etc.), BUT that varies greatly between individuals and is very dependent on health issues (blood pressure, and the like).
:)
I think not, my race car ran 0-60 in 1.2 seconds all day every week for 10 years and I am still alive and fairly normal.

·
Owner
893 Posts
I think not, my race car ran 0-60 in 1.2 seconds all day every week for 10 years and I am still alive and fairly normal.
As I said: 'each body has it's own tolerance' to the effects of G Force. For you, it might not be a problem. :)
BUT, I'm talking about 'street cars'. The authorities already regulate: talking on your phone, the noise of your exhaust, the emissions out your pipes, your gas mileage.
I don't see it much of a stretch for them to mandate speeds and acceleration rates (of street cars) next. I saw an article the other day where "they" want to regulate the max. width of tires soon so as to improve rolling resistance for better fuel mileage; experts said, that will mean skinnier tires !!! :rolleyes:. Government overreach is always looking for new areas to regulate nowadays. :eek:

·
Registered
914 Posts
1 ft roll out is the way most testers, magazines, etc, use to do 0-60 MPH times...

Not clear what a 1ft start means. Seems like a bit of a cheat?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 ft roll out is the way most testers, magazines, etc, use to do 0-60 MPH times...
Thanks Fiksegts, didn't know that.

So it's not a dead start? How fast do you get to make that 1ft roll? Wonder why most do this with a roll. Wouldn't that introduce more variability and make replication of results more difficult? I wonder how much time the 1ft roll shaves off. Is it 0.1, 0.01sec?

Sorry for all the questions. Don't mean them to be badgering at you Fiksegts. Just wondering out loud.

·
Registered
914 Posts
you launch from a dead stop and the measuring device accounts for the 1 foot roll out... in the case of that graph it looks like 2/10ths....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts